Memory Lock for Rogers Swan Leg HH?

bharrington

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For your Rogers Swan Leg HiHat stand users... I'm finding that the top post of the stand is constantly slipping down into the lower half - and I keep having to really crank it down. I'm guessing something may be overused/squished because with pretty light play, it still slips down eventually. I'm thinking about finding a memory lock that will fit - I believe this tube is just 5/8" wide. Does anyone know of a small memory lock that will work?

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
While some may just say to use a hose clamp, I'd prefer to use an actual 5/8" memory clamp. The problem is that this size isn't very common. Still, they are out there. I found one on eBay to use on a Slingerland mid-60's double tom holder...but not as a memory lock! I customized it with a screw on each side to keep the toms from hanging down! I'm not at home, so don't have access to the pictures!

Just go to eBay and the "musical instruments & gear" section and put in 5/8" memory lock. A handful does show up, including a Rogers and DW!

-Mark

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Had the same issue. Luckily I had the correct size memory lock that works very well. I have also used the aforementioned hose clamp.

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
There was an actual Rogers memriloc version of the swan-leg hi-hat stand, offered very briefly in 1975-76. I saw a relatively modern picture of Charlie Watts still using it.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There was an actual Rogers memriloc version of the swan-leg hi-hat stand, offered very briefly in 1975-76. I saw a relatively modern picture of Charlie Watts still using it.
Here are pictures of the hi hat stand being referred to. It's from the 1976 catalog.

-Mark

Attachments

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yeah, a 5/8ths inch shaft collar would work and should be readily available. DW does use a 5/8ths memory collar on some of their stands. I use one on my Ludwig Standard tom holder which is also that size but they are a bit clunky looking as they are made to match the height adjustment casting of those stands.

DSCN2034.JPG

I have both versions of the hi-hat stand in question, both the later Memri-Loc version and the original version like yours. If I want to use one for a gig I tend to go with the Memri-loc version since it is less prone to slipping. If you could find that size memri-loc collar it would do the trick on the regular stand.

Ludwig used hose clamps as memory clamps (and one assumes to help hold things in place) on their hi-hat stands and they worked fine.

IMG_4031.JPG

Not the regular style hose clamps with the worm gear setup but a different type, although it still appears to have been an off the shelf part. similar to this one

unnamed.gif

I assume those are available in various sizes. Here's 92 of them for $15!

Amazon.com: Swpeet 92Pcs 10 Sizes Zinc Plated Mini Fuel Injection Line Style Hose Clamp Assortment Kit Perfect for Automotive, Agriculture, Plant & Construction: Automotive

Last edited:

komodobob

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got one of these when I bought my Big R kit in 1976. Wish I still had those drums and the stand.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I had the same problem and bought the Supreme hihat when it first came out, but that was 45 years ago
I wanted a Supreme Hi-Hat very much but for some reason when I went to Franks Drum shop to buy one (1978) I ended up buying a Pearl one instead. I think it was slightly cheaper. I regretted that decision almost as soon as we headed west out of Chicago. The Pearl one worked fine though (I actually originally wanted a Ludwig Atlas until they changed over to the tubular legs, then switching my allegiance to the Rogers, until I DIDN'T buy it).

Fortunately a few years ago a guy I know said he had some hardware I might be interested in. His primary interest is marching drums and so he usually prices drum set related things very reasonably, so when he calls I show up a.s.a.p (hasn't called in a good long time though). When I stopped by he had three new-old-stock hi-hat stands set up in a row that he had somehow pried out of Faust Music in Milwaukee. There was a flat based Slingerland, a swan leg memri-loc Rogers, and, be still my heart, a Memri-Loc Rogers Supreme. I'm thinking I have to buy the Supreme no matter what..."How Much?" " Would you do $25 for all three?". Why Yes...yes I would. :)