Memory Lock for Vintage Ludwig Tom Mounts?

squidart

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rail consolette has its own issues but one would think there's at least something to put on the L-arm to keep the tom in position. Am I hunting bigfoot?

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The INDe lock works and is adjustable from 9.5-12.7mm. Only one side has the little nub.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Thanks Kevin. Those only work with the newer mounts that have a notch in them.

The ones with the notch look just like the old ones and I have no issue swapping those out. I would obviously keep the original and label it. If your mount is pre-1966 though you may have issue with the L-arm and the wing screw threading directly on to it. By mid 1965 or so the tom brackets switched over to the way they look now. Eventually the floor tom legs, L arms, gull wing spurs and bass mounted cymbal arms all changed from a pattern like this XXXX to a pattern like this ||||. The later pattern coupled with an eye bolt to grab the rod was much more stable. Those can sometimes move too so I typically use two washers and a hex bolt. I also do this with the bass drum mounted cymbal. Those never mover after that.

squidart

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ones with the notch look just like the old ones and I have no issue swapping those out. I would obviously keep the original and label it. If your mount is pre-1966 though you may have issue with the L-arm and the wing screw threading directly on to it. By mid 1965 or so the tom brackets switched over to the way they look now. Eventually the floor tom legs, L arms, gull wing spurs and bass mounted cymbal arms all changed from a pattern like this XXXX to a pattern like this ||||. The later pattern coupled with an eye bolt to grab the rod was much more stable. Those can sometimes move too so I typically use two washers and a hex bolt. I also do this with the bass drum mounted cymbal. Those never mover after that.
I do have pre-1965 tapped mounts and cross-hatch knurled l-rods/L-arms on all. Swapped the tom mount for an eye bolt model with hex nut which is the one that takes the most abuse. I was looking for a way to avoid swapping out all 6 mounts for new. I have our old friend Mr Hose Clamp on everything which is fine for setting the heights but does nothing for positioning the swing of the spurs and rack tom.
Guess I have to either suck it up and dole out the cash for new mounts or figure out CAD programming and design something for 3-d printing! :)

Thanks all for your input.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Squid: I'm sure you could come up with something that would work without buying new mounts. if there is a Ludwig forum somewhere I bet someone else has already done it!