Memory Locks for Ludwig Gull Wing Spurs...?

skelt101

Reaction score
Late last year, I purchased a new Ludwig Club Date USA kit in the FAB configuration. I'm trying to get the Gull Wing Spurs to a point where I'm confident in their performance. Initially, I added Pearl ISO feet to help with height adjustment. When I went to add memory locks [model P1728], I found not only is the knurled section not long enough to accommodate them and the Classic Mount, the memory locks would not slide onto the spur. So, I purchased a set of P1026 spurs. These came with the Club Date SE kits, and have retractable rubber feet as well as a longer knurled section to accommodate the Classic Mount and memory lock. Unfortunately, the P1728 memory lock doesn't fit the P1026 spurs either. What gives? Right now I'm using the P102510 memory locks that are meant for 10.5mm rods. They fit over the old and new spurs, but not in the memory lock notch of the Classic Mount. What is my best option here? I realize Inde has an upgrade kit, but I'd like to stay with Ludwig hardware if at all possible. Should I ream out the P1728 memory locks? I've heard that an additional washer on the Classic Mount helps too. Any other options?

Last edited:

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Whew! Too many numbers to look up.

But I think I have a picture of what you are saying: the memory lock tab will not slide into the spur receiver notch, right?

I've encountered this before on other hardware, and I just used a Dremel tool to shave down the tab on the memory lock until it will slide easily into the receiver notch.

GeeDeeEmm

Last edited:

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I've used those memory locks on floor tom legs and have found some are a tight fit. What you might try is taking the key bolt out of the memory lock then pry it open with a flat head screw driver while inserting the spur

skelt101

Reaction score
Sorry about the numbers, GeeDeeEmm! I just wanted to avoid someone responding with try this or that memory lock, if I already have. You are correct though. The tab on the memory lock is too big to fit into the Classic Mount notch.
blueshadow, what's weird is these same memory locks will fit my floor tom legs and mounted tom l-arm. Like you said, it was a tight fit. But they did go on. With the spurs though, no dice.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry about the numbers, GeeDeeEmm! I just wanted to avoid someone responding with try this or that memory lock, if I already have. You are correct though. The tab on the memory lock is too big to fit into the Classic Mount notch.
blueshadow, what's weird is these same memory locks will fit my floor tom legs and mounted tom l-arm. Like you said, it was a tight fit. But they did go on. With the spurs though, no dice.
Yes same with me ordered six of the memory locks, some would go right on the floor tom legs others I had to disassemble and pry open to get them on but they worked fine after that.

skelt101

Reaction score
For anyone interested, just for grins I tried again to install the 9.5mm memory locks on the gull wing spurs. They went on no problem! Are these things temperature sensitive? In any event, all is good now!