Memphis Drum Shop videos

Mrtboner

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love those things. I think the pee wee guy is my favorite then George schlepeck(sp)?

ScottGunshore

idrum = udig?
Reaction score
What about Tom Le-narrrr-doooo? He rules.

And thanks to MDS for the time and effort. I know WAY MORE about drum and cymbal brands / lines because of the work they do. It also contributes to insane amounts of GAS! :huh:

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
I watch the Memphis vids way too much!
Generally I watch the stuff on mycymbal.com, as I am a pie-head if there ever was one, but I like watching them demo the snares, too.

I have a least favorite 'demo' player, but I won't name names. Sluppick and Lenardo (spelling likely wrong on both) are my favs, as they play in a style that tests the cymbals in a way I want to hear--a bit jazzier and tasty, and less bashing and 'chop show off'.

My wife doesn't get/appreciate the time I spend watching them (or posting about how I watch them!) :rolleyes:

davydrums

Reaction score
Is it just Me,or is it insane to put a tom mount on a(according to Yamaha)$4500 bass drum?PS-love their vids.

drumnhands

Reaction score
Is it just Me,or is it insane to put a tom mount on a(according to Yamaha)$4500 bass drum?PS-love their vids.
Not if that's where you want your toms, and don't want to schlepp extra hardware around. I HATE toms mounted on a stand off the bass drum. It's too much of a pain to get them exactly where I want them. Mounted on the bass drum, they go right where I want them and are in the same place every time.

What I don't get is guys that make a big deal out of not putting their toms on the bass drum because of how they perceive it to kill the sound, and then stuff a blanket in side. Look at so many of the greatest studio players out there, where sound is the most important thing. Sitting right there on the bass drum is a pair of toms.

5 Style

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not to me... That's the way that I think that I'd do it. The bass and tom sound great to me and surely would to just about everyone else. If you really find that it sounds so much better with the two isolated (which I kinda doubt, seems like the difference would be very slight), you could always put the tom on a stand when you're recording. I like the convenience and the positioning of a bass mounted tom for pretty much any kind of kit. If had a multi rack tom set up, I might do it differently but for a 1-up kind of a deal, I'd be ordering it just like the one in the video.

I heard someone say that some of the newer high end drums aren't even shipping with ISO type mounts anymore, so it seems like maybe a lot of this stuff is a bit overrated.

TDM

Yapping Internet Mutt
Reaction score
davydrums:
Is it just Me, or is it insane to put a tom mount on a (according to Yamaha) $4500 bass drum?

drumnhands:
Not if that's where you want your toms, and don't want to schlepp extra hardware around. I HATE toms mounted on a stand off the bass drum. It's too much of a pain to get them exactly where I want them. Mounted on the bass drum, they go right where I want them and are in the same place every time.
+1 on drumnhands comments. And, regarding floor toms, I greatly prefer them standing on their own, not hanging. When I had two floor toms hanging on a stand, I found this annoying because: (1) it required carrying an extra, heavy-duty stand; (2) when using a single floor tom versus two, it required constantly readjusting the stand; and (3) once the floor toms were on the stand, positioning them with the rest of the kit was a pain - that's a heavy load to move. Rack toms on the bass drum. Floor toms on legs. That's my preference.

bradydrums

Reaction score
Two big thumbs up for Memphis Drum Shop. They've really set the bar high in retailer marketing.

budrock

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not to me... That's the way that I think that I'd do it. The bass and tom sound great to me and surely would to just about everyone else. If you really find that it sounds so much better with the two isolated (which I kinda doubt, seems like the difference would be very slight), you could always put the tom on a stand when you're recording. I like the convenience and the positioning of a bass mounted tom for pretty much any kind of kit. If had a multi rack tom set up, I might do it differently but for a 1-up kind of a deal, I'd be ordering it just like the one in the video.

I heard someone say that some of the newer high end drums aren't even shipping with ISO type mounts anymore, so it seems like maybe a lot of this stuff is a bit overrated.

Agree. I do not like ISO/RIMS mounts thingys. Can't stand em. My mount tom is either on a snare stand or on a mount off the kick. Works great.

budrock

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Agree. I do not like ISO/RIMS mounts thingys. Can't stand em. My mount tom is either on a snare stand or on a mount off the kick. Works great.

Oh yeah. My avatar pick was taken in 05 when I DID have a rims mount. No more though.

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
The Yamaha set that we are looking at in the MDS video has an iso mount on it, and they DO make a difference, most of the time. They are much more necessary in the recording studio environment, where that kind of stuff can matter. Anyway, that's a nice Yamaha set, with iso mounts. And MDS does about as nice of a video that you can do, using a video camera with a mic and compression and no actual close mic'ing. I think it does work a lot better for drums tuned up in the jazzier range, though. When drums are tuned more loosely for rock/country/r and b, etc. They can sound flappy in just a distant mic. But they can sound killer, close mic'd.

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
Jim Pettit, at the MDS is a really nice cat. And is way into the drums. Their facility is really amazing now. They have taken over most of the strip mall that the shop is in, and bought the church behind the shop. The upstairs part of the shop is now a full out performance area. With a stage and lights and sound. Seating for, (I'm guessing now,) around 100. I am really lucky, in that we have Fork's in Nashville with the best repair shop and drum builders you could ever ask for. Then in Memphis you have MDS and Jim Pettit. Jim is also one of the best reproduction manufacturers out there.

So, I like the videos. As long as you know what you are listening to. A very compressed distant mic, used for all audio, drums and speech on most of them. Listen with that in mind. On the plus side, is that you have guys playing the drums with TOUCH, not bashing. :icon_smile:

Sonorholic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm gonna finally get down there early next month. Can't wait to meet everyone and see the Gong Chamber firsthand. Can't wait. I'll be in Nashville to, so I'll be at Forks for sure at some point.

Latest posts