Memphis&Nashville Gigs in late April&May/From Chicago traveling with drumset

hatandbeard

Reaction score
I will be playing some gigs and doing some recording in Memphis and then Nashville at the end of April and into May.

I'll post more details about exactly where and when :)

I also wanted to ask if anyone has experience in traveling via Megabus or Amtrak with a small four piece drum set.
For what it's worth I choose no car and walk everywhere with my drums :) I added a couple photos for reference...
*four bop drums and small waterproof rug in waterproof beato pro1 bags on a kartabag super600 foldable lightweight aluminum hand truck dolly with an ortlieb waterproof backpack messenger bag with all my hardware and throne and a 20" cac-sac cymbal bag with one 20" sound control ride cymbal and 12" k hi-hats and some shaker bells small aux percussion, sticks mallets brushes in front large pocket of cymbal bag.
And water* and wisely chosen clothes inside drums **extreme minimalist tour packing mindset etc./when on the road etc.
I get around on Chicago CTA as well as elevators and escalators and trains and subways and stairs if I have to when the elevator is out (although it's very slow and very deliberate process and a serious crossfit workout)
I have been at it this way for well over a decade and have gone to the extent of even shipping my drums ahead of time via UPS or FedEx back n forth for tours. And then flying with nothing etc.
I gave up my car in Chicago a long long time ago.
I love Modern Drum Shop nesting drums and did that for a while as well.
People are pretty amazed at my set up and how easy it is for me to get around and fit everywhere. Figured I'd take the plunge on seeing about the reality of me walking out the front door and showing up at the train station :)

I'd like to get to Memphis and Nashville and back to Chicago without shipping my drums.
Even if that means possibly buying two tickets etc.
Although I have a feeling Amtrak may be my best bet. And may be able to put them in some kind of Freight Cargo. I know of folks putting their bicycles on Amtrak/I can't be the first musician that wants to explore this option.

I also am prepared to ship my drums via Greyhound Freight. But then take Megabus or a wishfully cheap flight.

Anyone have any suggestions on but bringing my drums with me via Amtrak train or Megabus?
And yes I prefer not to bring my drums to the airport etc.

I also can't recall of any current cool weird driving apps or cool services that I just don't know about.

I appreciate all of you.
Thanks!

Attachments

hatandbeard

Reaction score
The gigs and the recordings would be on the jazz improvised avant-garde tip for those interested☆♡
My Memphis friend Jon Bass/composer guitarist/Muddy Pig Productions
My Nashville friend Jayve Montgomery/composer reedist/Astral Spirits Records-International Anthem Records

hatandbeard

Reaction score
And for what it's worth here's a record I got to be on recently with some serious heavyweights.
A dear friend composer percussionist artist Mikel Patrick Avery put this together. He made a film and music for the film and put us all in it.
:)

I feel grateful for the folks I get to play with here in Chicago and abroad☆♡

Latest posts