Mesh head for the front of the kick drum?

TonyVazquez

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of open-front kick drums except when it's done in a recording studio.

So, I'm thinking about replacing my
Reso head with a mesh head...
I really don't wanna cut a port hole
into my current reso head which is the
beautiful clear red Evans Hydraulic batter head that has my band logo on it.

I figured that I could at least try on a black mesh head in front, and I can stencil my band logo onto it.

But... With a mesh head, I'm worried about how my 16 inch kick drum would sound.
I spent several months achieving the tight punchy sound of my kick drum.
And at some point this year I plan to install a permanent kick drum mic inside the drum.

Has anyone here ever used a mesh head on the front of their kick drum during live shows and/or in the studio?

Mesh heads in this particular application... Pros? Cons?

Thanks in advance.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Why use a reso head at all then? Without a front head, you have all the benefits of easy access to move muffling and mic around.

drumstuff66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Seb77 mentioned the studio issues.

For gigs with your band, play your bass drum with no reso and you if like the sound better or as much as your Hydraulic, then try a mesh.

I used the Evans Retro Screen for a couple of gigs where I thought the single head sound would be cool - I liked the idea of having something covering the edges and as you said, you could put the band's logo on it. I had an internal mic using the Kelly SHU...

Keep in mind there is still material covering the front of a drum, albeit thin mesh. A completely open front might sound and feel different than mesh, but it's a small difference, if any I'd think. I never A/B/C'd Mesh Head vs No Head vs Hydraulic.

I'm actually selling the head - just not a sound I see myself using live going forward, but on a 16" with an internal mic' I'd think the mesh head will work well for you if that's the sound you're going for. Muffling would be minimal (I think) or could be external if needed.

Last edited:

blikum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mixed a guy who had his bass drum with a mesh head, he even painted the Pearl logo on the mesh to make it look like a real reso head. The weird thing was the guy had the kick drum lined with that egg crate foam. It was as dead as can be. It actually sounded fine in context with the band, but that was a first for me.

stevil

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago I used a mesh head because I wanted an open sound while protecting the bearing edges. It worked well. Aesthetically it looks like a resonant head, so it'll do what you want it to do.

dyland

Reaction score
The main difference is that the mesh head will protect the bearing edges. I'd say go for it.

TonyVazquez

Reaction score
All good points, thanks for everyone's input.

Indeed I must protect the bearing edge,
so any head up front is fine.

Someone asked "why have a front head at all?"
I want to try the mesh head, because the mesh is open like a window screen allowing air and volume to escape the drum shell...
Furthermore, with a Mesh head in front, I can still place a Kick drum mic in front to capture the attack of the batter head as though there were No head in front at all.
And, given that the mesh screen is tighter I can still display my band logo onto it in contrast (hence a Black mesh with a white logo).

With a front mesh head, the drum will look good, and not "garage-ey" like a home kit that never sees a public stage.

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
What I did was cut all but an inch off a head I didn't want, and mount it on the reso side. It was 99% open, the edge was protected, the attractive hoop was on there, and I could move the mic into the drum.

TonyVazquez

Reaction score
In this wee hour (4:14am NY time) I went on Reverb and ordered an Evans 16 inch SoundOff mesh head from a vendor in New Hampshire... it will arrive to me by midweek.

Although I like Evans drum heads (especially their clear red Hydraulic heads) the Evans logo will get removed, or obscured by my band name logo.

I have a gig coming up next month in the Catskills NY area and so I wanna have my kit look as good as it sounds.
I'm not taking shortcuts to practicality by removing the front head or cutting manholes into the reso head and having my kit look like it was dug up from storage inside a backyard shack. lol

The idea of the mesh head is to get the sound I want while looking sharp in the public eye.
Aspiring drummers who have been to my gigs have complimented my drum kit and asked questions about some of the modifications I've made to my kit...
...so even with a few hacks here n there, I also want my kit to look good.