Mesh heads - are drumtec the best feel?

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Have read a ton on Vdrums, which I am a member but can't ever figure out how to start a post, on the subject of the various mesh heads. I have watch videos etc on the various brands. Specifically I have played on kits at GC with the Remo Mesh, I've played the Roland kits with mesh heads and yesterday I got a Prism 3 ply and messed around with it on my acrolite. So far none of those feel quite right to me and really no better than my rubber pads on my Yamaha electronic kit. Are the drum tec's truly better feeling? The Prism is closest I've found but seems to stretch just the little I messed with it last night.

electrodrummer

Reaction score
Unfortunately - as you found - "best" is subjective and down to the individual.

Especially if by "best" you mean - "I want everything to feel like mylar head from my favourite acoustic kit".

I have never found a mesh I really like and prefer silicone and some rubber, for example (especially as no hot spots)

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mesh is mesh, for the most part (cheap Pearl or Tama heads are pointless and older Hart heads are super tough, firm and kind of bouncy). Generally, its the number of layers that will change how they feel. So a 1 ply mesh like the Remos will be the most bouncy. A 2 ply mesh like Roland will be a little less bouncy, 3 ply may be even less, but I dont have experience with 3 ply heads yet.

Are you converting an acoustic kit to electric, or are you looking for mesh heads to use as a means of quiet practice? If its the former, you are going to want to get the heads tight enough to get accurate triggering and limit your hotspots. Its the latter, then something a bit thicker may allow you to use less head tension and give you better feel.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I had thought about doing an A to E conversion but was hoping 3 ply heads would feel more real than they do. Probably as close as can get but not really worth the effort I don't think. I am going to stick with the rubber pads for now and maybe upgrade to the silcone pads later.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I will say that the 3 ply prism would probably work for toms. I put it on my acro and cranked it up and it feels like a floor tom with the about of rebound and give. I guess I should mention I like my snare fairly tight so I just don't think can quite get there with mesh. Maybe do the tom conversion with mesh and get the Yamaha XP120 silicone snare pad.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I tried a few of the drum tec offerings a few years back.

I remember the "realfeel" and "pro" models felt much more realistic than regular mesh heads which i really hate (such as remo roland etc etc)

So yes i would say they are definitely worth the investment and do feel better by a wide margin.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a Roland snare in purple mist - I love that thing! Elevated my Yahama DTX II kit to a new level! It has the standard head.

I bought a Supra a few years back with a black mesh head - a lower end generic brand - but it works great, too. I also have a few Remo white mesh heads - they also work great. All are very similar IMO........

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I see why everyone brags about drum tec heads. Got a 10" and 12" for a couple of toms I have. I ordered them Saturday July 4th and got them July 8th...that's pretty fast coming from Germany. Cost about $90 but $30 of that was shipping which would be about the same if buying more heads but I'm happy with them. Even with the shipping they were cheaper than Roland heads from Sweetwater with free shipping. Need a couple of female jacks for my piezos...ordered them from Parts Express I'll get them Saturday and get it all together.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Which version did you get and what do think is better than a basic Roland head?

Thx!
I got the real feel heads which are three ply. Roland are two ply. They really do feel as close to a real head as I've tried and seem to hold tension well. They are louder that the DTX silicone pad but quieter than the rubber pads. Also they are cheaper than the Roland heads even with shipping from Germany.

Latest posts