Mesh heads comparison (volume, tone, feel, durability, price etc.)

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
Hi.
Please share your experience here, it will help me and many other people. I'll start with mine.

Remo Silentroke (whole set)
Pros: volume is absolutely manageable in an apartment, they look cool (imho), easy to find, decent durability.
Cons: not as loud as my L80 cymbals (especially the snare), too bouncy even with minimal tension.

RTOM LV (just the 14'' snare head)
Pros: better fuller tone, better feel in terms of rebound, heavy-duty construction.
Cons: they look a little bit rough (imho), and they're definitely too loud for quiet apartment practice. They're harder to find and cost a little bit more than Silentstrokes.

I'd like to find the perfect match with my L80 cymbals and I'll keep trying other brands.
Thanks.

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the L80 is the problem?
I've been using Remos w/Sabian's quiet cymbals and I'm loving both though I see some wear on the bass drum (might be a bad beater choice)....yes too much bounce but...I like it better than a hard pad

I wish they existed when I was younger...

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
No, L80s are not the problem. They're low volume cymbals and they sound like low volume cymbals. Even if they were the problem, it's way cheaper to change heads instead of a whole set of cymbals. Anyway, have you tried other mesh heads?

Reactions: dtk

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I haven’t compared different brands but I had a practice kit set up with pearl mesh heads on toms and bass and didn’t have any durability issues. They were pretty close to silent but the resonant heads would respond just enough to hear something. I found a small pillow in the bass drum made the response feel more like a regular drum. I just used a gladstone pad on the snare with them so no snare experience to share

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve not tried other brands so I have nothing to compare them too but I have a practice rig setup with Silent Strokes and L80s. I love ‘em.

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
Today I'll try the RTOM LV mesh head on my PDP snare, mabe it's not as loud and rough as it is on my Yamaha SC steel snare.
I also ordered some duct tape. Maybe just a couple of strips on a Silentstroke will work, I don't know. I'll report back asap.

CAMDRUMS

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am pretty sure I remember seeing a whole comparison of mesh heads out there somewhere, either the Vdrum forum or perhaps in that digital drummer online magazine.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
The drum-tec real feel heads are great, they feel pretty darn close to a real head, the con is they are a bit louder and don't really have any drum tone. Great for electronic drums like intended, but probably not what you are looking for as low volume acoustic. I've only played the remos at the store and didn't like them at all. Really wish someone would come up with the ideal practice head to go along with all the quiet cymbals out there. Mesh heads I don't think are an acceptable answer. Need tone of a real head but quieter somehow. I used to use the rubber sound offs and thought they were good on toms but couldn't leave the snares on or they were too loud and didn't have good rebound on the snare either. This was years ago.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it have to be mesh heads? I use the Aquarian Superpads with my L80 cymbals and really like them. I tried mesh heads for several years, but then once I switched to the Aquarian pads I haven't gone back. Plus, when it's time to play gigs, I don't have to change heads.

I find the feel to be closer to regular drumheads than mesh (less bouncy). The Superpads allow the pitch of the toms (and a little bit of tone) to come through, and the snare still has plenty of snare sound. I do use a mesh head on my bass drum, though. The Superpad for bass drums is really thick, so it completely changes the beater angle and feel of your bass drum pedal.

IMG_0849.jpeg

IMG_0851.jpeg

Last edited:

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack your thread, but have you tried some silent sticks (ex: https://silent-sticks.com/adoro-silent-sticks-beater/)?
I've tried mesh heads but to me they don't feel and sound like a real drum. I live in an apartment and get along just fine with my neighbours using silent sticks or playing with brushes on a regular bop kit!
No, I didn't. That's not what I want to do.
Does it have to be mesh heads? I use the Aquarian Superpads with my L80 cymbals and really like them. I tried mesh heads for several years, but then once I switched to the Aquarian pads I haven't gone back. Plus, when it's time to play gigs, I don't have to change heads.
I find the feel to be closer to regular drumheads than mesh (less bouncy). The Superpads allow the pitch of the toms (and a little bit of tone) to come through, and the snare still has plenty of snare sound. I do use a mesh head on my bass drum, though. The Superpad for bass drums is really thick, so it completely changes the beater angle and feel of your bass drum pedal.
View attachment 525315
View attachment 525316
I thought about Aquarian Superpads but I can't find them at local shops to test them. They're expensive, I can't buy them blindly. Honestly, 120 euros for a pad is a little bit too much for me.

Back to the mesh heads... I tested the RTOM LV on my PDP snare and it's too loud, as I expected. I think I'm gonna try a couple of Drum-tec heads, a Pro (single ply, thick and louder) and a Design (2 ply, very silent). I will also try some duct tape over Remos, maybe it's the best and easier solution. Another thing to try is a patch, but I can't find snare patches, only kick drum patches. Do snare patches even exist?

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 525315
View attachment 525316
I was able to solve the bass drum problem by simply moving my pedal off the hoop. Seems about right as far as distance goes. This won't work as well with some pedals, but my DynaSync has a nice solid base.

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
I think I've found a solution for both problems, volume and feel. It works really well because you can manage volume, tone, rebound and stick attack on each drum by adding straps of duct tape and moving them in different positions. I ended up with this.

1635580951776.jpeg

Volume are well balanced between drums and cymbals, especially when wearing ear protection which cuts a little bit of treble from the cymbals. I'll keep trying different mesh heads and report back.

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
Next weel I'll order a DrumTec Design double layer mesh head for my snare. If it has more volume and better feel than a Remo Silentstroke I can avoud using duct tape and use them on all my drums.
I'll report back as soon as I try it.