metal shelled drum sets

phdamage

Reaction score
Many years ago, I recorded a friend's custom 1/4" thick aluminum kit - not large sizes, but they were so damn loud! Since, I've always been interested in the old Ludwig stainless kits, but got interested a little too late to catch them at an affordable price. I did notice that Tama started making a steel kit recently, but I'm curious about the more boutique efforts these days - A&F, Q Drum, etc. (esp considering that new Tama offering is $1200 for just 3 drums and I've heard only so-so things about them).

I know a friend of a friend with a custom Dunnett titanium kit - supposedly it sounds bananas, but unsure if I'd ever get a chance to play on it or any other one like it. For those of you who have shelled out those serious $$ for one of those rare and pricey kits, what made you sure yo were buying the right materials/sizes for you?

And I'm curious who has played on those things metal kits mentioned (A&F, Q Drum, etc) and how did you feel about them?

I have a thing for overkill - have a 40 lbs cold rolled steel snare a friend built me out of a pipe! I love my old school StarClassic kit, but a metal kit really intrigues me.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Never owned, but played a few. At NAMM I’ve played and heard played a worldmax brass kit and Trick aluminum kit, and a Dunnett titanium kit. All sounded Fantastic, the Trick will a little more pop, the brass a little more warmth. The Titanium was the woodiest (and lightest). They were loud, and the tone was not as far removed from wood as you’d think.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a Q Copper for a while. An amazing sounding instrument that tuned up easier then any kit I've owned. It was warm as heck - just a little too loud for my gig. If I where shopping metal I'd start and end with Q. Reasonably priced. Jeremy makes amazing instruments, and heavy duty enough to tour with (unlike stuff I've read about the A&F products).

SpinaDude

Reaction score
I always wanted to hear this kit...the Black Panther Sledgehammer kit. They showed it off, but as far as I know it was never played in public.

SL2.jpeg

SL1.jpeg
SL3.jpg

phdamage

Reaction score
wow, i hadn't heard anything about A&F kits not holding up to gigging. tell me more. for those prices, they should be pretty damn bullet proof

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a Beni Black Russian kit .
It was very nice and controlled sounding.
But man o man was it a heavy kit .

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love my three Trick kits. I would not consider them louder than other drums.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a GMS/Dunnett titanium kit. I like the toms, but the two times I brought it in the studio the engineers said they don’t care for the kick. It was a little kick in the gut considering more than a few players and engineers both have said my ‘93 maple shelled GMS kick is the best one they ever heard.

0F91E718-48C1-4777-A728-40B9DD0E531D.jpeg
B2760F1F-9332-4287-8409-62CD26BDE93E.jpeg

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a Q Copper for a while. An amazing sounding instrument that tuned up easier then any kit I've owned. It was warm as heck - just a little too loud for my gig. If I where shopping metal I'd start and end with Q. Reasonably priced. Jeremy makes amazing instruments, and heavy duty enough to tour with (unlike stuff I've read about the A&F products).
Did your Q kit have wood reinforcement rings? I tapped on a copper Q kit at Lone Star Percussion and was pleasantly surprised at how "normal" they sounded (in a good way), and attributed a lot of it to the maple rings influence on the bearing edge.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Did your Q kit have wood reinforcement rings? I tapped on a copper Q kit at Lone Star Percussion and was pleasantly surprised at how "normal" they sounded (in a good way), and attributed a lot of it to the maple rings influence on the bearing edge.
Yes - I think all the Q drumsets are turned 8 guage sheet, rivited, with wood rings. The are undersized and float heads well.

As far as what I heard about A&F was that they are too light and someone "flimsy" to withstand tour level playing. This was from a tech of a very famous drummer that recently had switch from Gretsch to A&F and then to Yamaha after they had issues with the A&F being too light, bouncing on those tour stages (which apparently move quite a bit), and hardware "not holding up". They sound great, and I'm sure I would never ruin them, but I don't play festivals or tour.

RobbiefromAtlanta

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes - I think all the Q drumsets are turned 8 guage sheet, rivited, with wood rings. The are undersized and float heads well.

As far as what I heard about A&F was that they are too light and someone "flimsy" to withstand tour level playing. This was from a tech of a very famous drummer that recently had switch from Gretsch to A&F and then to Yamaha after they had issues with the A&F being too light, bouncing on those tour stages (which apparently move quite a bit), and hardware "not holding up". They sound great, and I'm sure I would never ruin them, but I don't play festivals or tour.
Matt Chamberlain?

FunkyCrime

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I picked up this Q galvanized steel set over the winter. They’re great drums, a little warmer and not as loud as the 70s stainless steel Ludwig set I’ve owned in the past. They’re also surprisingly light compared to the Ludwigs as well. Took them to my last gig (in February) and the sound guys loved them.

Attachments

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When you guys say one drum set is louder than another, what do you actually mean? I'm serious.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When you guys say one drum set is louder than another, what do you actually mean? I'm serious.
I think it’s more of a frequency response thing and how it hits your ears. I’m not sure they are actually louder per se decibel wise.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That makes much more sense to me than referencing volume. I'd hope drummers aren't so gullible to think a metal drum is "louder" than a wood drum. Maybe under some circumstances brighter perhaps, but volume relates to how hard you hit the damn things. Rant over.