MICA cymbals ??

Rogersforever

Reaction score
Got this beauty at a Salvation Army Thrift shop - $10 !!! And check the pics - great shape. But can anyone give me some details on a Mica Sonic cymbal ?
With the little star showing on the stamp. plus the "made in Germany", I was wondering whether it might be a pre-Paiste, or some similar animal.

Anyone ??
mica.sonic.cymbl.JPG

Attachments

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks to be in nice shape! They are rare but don't command much in resale. The Mica Sonic name has been thrown around and used on old stencil drums and have been used on cymbals made both in Germany & Italy. I don't know of a Paiste connection with the German models but it's possible. I think that the Italian models were made by UFIP. I believe the name was also used on some odd electronic drums in the 80's. For the $10 you paid, I'd keep it.
LRod

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I don't know of another cymbal maker in Germany other than Paiste, but it's not "pre-paiste" as that would date it before 1906.
Likely some 1960's off-brand using the "Paiste Standard" design for their own evil purposes. :evil2:

Elvis

fenrir

Reaction score
I don't know of another cymbal maker in Germany other than Paiste, but it's not "pre-paiste" as that would date it before 1906.
Likely some 1960's off-brand using the "Paiste Standard" design for their own evil purposes. :evil2:

Elvis
Meinl?

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What's the size and weight? Does it seem like a crash or ride to you? It certainly appears to be in nice shape and looks like a lathed cymbal. If it sounds good to you, then you certainly did get it for a great price!

-Mark

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool cymbal.
I believe they were pre Camber from Meinl.
And to add even more confusion ... Mica Sonic was also a Japanese stencil drum brand.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Mcjnic,

Not to skew the thread, but my first cymbals were Canadian Camber's, back in '82.
20" ride, 18" crash-ride and 14" hats.
Weren't half bad. I even recorded with the ride, eventually.
So were all Camber's made by Meinl?
I wonder where the Canadian connection comes in?

Elvis

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Elvis, I wish I knew. I know enough to be mildly dangerous where Meinl is concerned. I've played a couple pretty cool Cambers back in the day, if I am remembering correctly (which can be debated).

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first cymbals were Camber that were made in Canada, 1983 I think. They were the worst! I'm assuming they had different lines and I probably had the lowest. I know Sabian owned the Camber line but I think that was late 80's or even 90's. Sabian started in 1981 but didn't own Camber back then. But I'm under the assumption that they probably made them for the owner of the Camber name back then since Sabian is in Canada. From what I gather, once they started getting made in Canada, production stopped in Germany. Maybe Meinl started passing things over to Sabian until Sabian finally bought them.

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Sabian started in 1977, but the factory had been producing cymbals for Zildjian since the 1960's.
I didn't know there was a connection between Sabian and Camber. Interesting.

Elvis

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sabian started in 1977, but the factory had been producing cymbals for Zildjian since the 1960's.
I didn't know there was a connection between Sabian and Camber. Interesting.

Elvis
Interesting about Sabian in 77'. I've never seen that anywhere! I knew the Zildjian factory was in Canada before they opened in the US but from what I read, Sabian didn't start till the Zildjian brother's parted ways. And I've read everywhere that Sabian officially went into business in 1981 when Robert Zildjian no longer had anything to do with Zildjian. Of course I can be wrong since I read about this stuff online and lots of things on the internet are wrong. I should learn Sabian's exact story since now I've gone full blown Sabian, LOL!

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
A basic overview of Sabian history:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I knew the Zildjian factory was in Canada before they opened in the US...
You've got that backwards...
Zildjian has been making cymbals in the US since 1928.
Sabian started as the "AZCO" Zildjian plant in the late 60's.
Zildjian's American operations were formally founded as the "Avedis Zildjian Co." in 1929.
The Canadian Zildjian plant, which had been making AZCO's and K's, was formally founded as "Sabian" in 1981.

Elvis

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you provide a valid reference to this claim, please?
Nope! It's just I've read that at some point Sabian bought Camber (or the rights to Camber). But like I previously said, this is just stuff that has been read online. And of course, you come up with writing from people that are either right or wrong so I don't know it's validity. I said: "I know Sabian owned the Camber line" I'll rewrite that statement to: "I've read that Sabian owned the Camber line"

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've got that backwards...
Zildjian has been making cymbals in the US since 1928.
Sabian started as the "AZCO" Zildjian plant in the late 60's.

Elvis
I get that but the official "Sabian" with the Sabian name didn't start till 1981.

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I get that but the official "Sabian" with the Sabian name didn't start till 1981.
Apologies. comuputer issues. I had to restart.
I've amended my former reply, which I was in the middle of doing when things froze up.

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Nope! It's just I've read that at some point Sabian bought Camber (or the rights to Camber). But like I previously said, this is just stuff that has been read online. And of course, you come up with writing from people that are either right or wrong so I don't know it's validity. I said: "I know Sabian owned the Camber line" I'll rewrite that statement to: "I've read that Sabian owned the Camber line"
Just found this November 1995 MD article on the 25th Anniversary Camber cymbals.
It says they're made in Canada under "...rigorous standards and controls.".
At the end of the article is says that Camber is a division of "Ace Products".
...for what its worth....