MICA cymbals ??

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Back in the 70s and 80s when I worked in a music store, we'd get tons of Cambers. They always looked good, but sounded worse than the Japanese stencil cymbals. Each time they came out with a new line, they'd look even cooler and sound even worse. Maybe there were some good ones at some point, but if so I never saw one. Some of them had a strange, yellowish color, not like any other cymbal I've seen.

The OPs cymbal looks like a Ludwig Standard nickel alloy. I'm cringing just looking at it. I have an 13" that I got for free, haven't found a use for it yet. The only nickel LS cymbal that I ever thought was decent was a 22" very thin ride that I rented one time in a last minute emergency for $10. It was decent, not great, got me through the gig.

Rogersforever

Reaction score
Looks to be in nice shape! They are rare but don't command much in resale. The Mica Sonic name has been thrown around and used on old stencil drums and have been used on cymbals made both in Germany & Italy. I don't know of a Paiste connection with the German models but it's possible. I think that the Italian models were made by UFIP. I believe the name was also used on some odd electronic drums in the 80's. For the $10 you paid, I'd keep it.
LRod
Sorry been away for a few weeks - thanks for the info. I'm going to play it constantly with my A's for awhile, see if the sound grows on me.

Rogersforever

Reaction score
What's the size and weight? Does it seem like a crash or ride to you? It certainly appears to be in nice shape and looks like a lathed cymbal. If it sounds good to you, then you certainly did get it for a great price!

-Mark
It's a 20", seems to be a lighter ride, but gives nice overtones when you hit it harder while riding. I'm going to keep ,working it, see if it grows on me.
He**, can't beat the price !!!