Mickey Rooney - jazz drummer?

TomN

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mickey stars as a jazz drummer in "The Strip" (1951) on Turner Classic Movies tonight (8:00 PM east coast time.)

http://www.tcm.com/index.jsp

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044083/

Here's a drumming clip from another movie (which looks like it might have been overdubbed by a better drummer) but Rooney does a nice job:

Last edited by a moderator:

plexi69

Reaction score
All movies then and now have the musical numbers overdubbed. But that doesn't mean Rooney didn't play the overdub, he was an accomplished musician.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He was a Slingerland endorser back in the day. There's a great pic of him behind the kit in Cook's book.

kerope

DFO Master
Reaction score
Mickey stars as a jazz drummer in "The Strip" (1951) on Turner Classic Movies tonight (8:00 PM east coast time.)

http://www.tcm.com/index.jsp

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044083/

Here's a drumming clip from another movie (which looks like it might have been overdubbed by a better drummer) but Rooney does a nice job:

Thank you for posting that

This film was one of "those" defining moments, I now realise, in my pull towards playing the drums.

I believe he was in another film where he played drums, or was it this one, where he really lets go!

It really got to me and was paramount in my eventually getting a kit and starting to play

radiokng

Reaction score
That's Mickey drumming. He could play (maybe still can, he's still around.) He was on a program I did, A Tribute to MGM a few years ago at Carnegie Hall. At rehearsal he sat down at the piano and played some really great jazz, very Errol Garner like. Swung his tush off. Indeed, a Man of Many talents.

Mike Berkowitz

kerope

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's Mickey drumming. He could play (maybe still can, he's still around.) He was on a program I did, A Tribute to MGM a few years ago at Carnegie Hall. At rehearsal he sat down at the piano and played some really great jazz, very Errol Garner like. Swung his tush off. Indeed, a Man of Many talents.

Mike Berkowitz
Well, despite his diminutive status, he didn't seem to have too much trouble attracting the ladies :p

W

wayne

It was crucial to your employment to be a "complete "entertainer in those days.Mickey and Judy Garland wereworked to the bone by the studio and had to rely on meds to get them through the pace.Being a big band player was as cool as being a film star and you often see the heavy weights doing cameos in movies to give it credibility eg;Armstrong,Hampton,Krupa etc..Im not sure it was as glamorous as they would have us believe though.Fred Astaire was also a brilliant drummer due to his incredible sense of timing,but he was often quoted as saying Yes,but Mr Krupa is the real deal"...I love old movies!!

Joeyboom

De. Drum Show Feb. TBA 2018
Reaction score
Ha Ha this is great I watched it last night. . Some GREAT performers in that flick. The dance numbers was great as well. . . How bout those calf skins eh?

TomN

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Glad you guys enjoyed the movie. I've always been a fan of Mickey but I didn't know he was a drummer. And I love old movies.

Also, no slight was intended when I mentioned overdubbing. I just noticed a few places in the clip where what I heard was more complex than what I saw mickey playing.

cdlaine

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wayne...

pretty sure that is Bandleader Paul Whiteman doing the walk on during the

youtube post.

Thanks Tom... good stuff.

Peace, Chas

gregnoiz

Reaction score
I recorded this when it was broadcast and just got around to watching it last nite. Pretty good movie. Fun. Thanx for the heads up.

Latest posts