header.nohb.html

"Micro patterns": what are they?

Pibroch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've heard that playing "micro patterns" on the drum set is one of the innovations of 21st century drumming.

Are they patterns based on small increments of time .. I really don't know.

Can anyone offer any examples please?

KCJazz

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've heard that playing "micro patterns" on the drum set is one of the innovations of 21st century drumming.

It seems that none of us have heard of them (we are so 20th century). Can you recall where you heard about them? I know all about macro patterns, though. :)

Pibroch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It seems that none of us have heard of them (we are so 20th century). Can you recall where you heard about them? I know all about macro patterns, though. :)
Thanks for responding. Just checked my notebook in which a bit over 2 years ago I wrote this quote from a drummer, Miles Henry, who referred to "micro playing of precise intricate patterns" as being "a twenty-first century development" in drum set performance. I'll try to contact him for clarification and any examples he can refer me to.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score

I’ve heard of microeconomics, microbiology, microscopy. Never heard of micro drum patterns. Paradiddles have been around for a century or three.

SteveParadis

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
this...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-20 141448.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-04-20 141448.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 14

toddbishop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Drum magazine tutorial:

I wrote that up in 2015-- my way is easier. I don't approve of it-- mostly it's just a groove killer. But that's how it's done.

DrumPhil

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will Kennedy uses the term "word" to refer to a particular lick or fill: a small piece of musical language (funk, jazz, rock, etc.) that helps you make your musical statement. Perhaps "micro pattern" refers to a similar concept? Where "pattern" might refer to a full 4-bar phrase, a micro pattern could be just a particular 2-beat flourish or short interplay between bass and snare drums (for example) that places the music into a particular style.

That "drunk drumming" to me sounds like nothing more than deliberately laying behind the beat, almost to the point of displacing the beat by a 16th or 8th triplet. What makes it work is that the drummer finds certain spots to get back onto the beat and reestablish the one. Weckl and Colaiuta built their legends by displacing the beat. But unless your bandmates (and you!) are at a very high level and can hang with it without getting lost, it can easily lead to a train wreck.