Mics and Cables - how do you transport to / from gigs?

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to a Goodwill store, pick a sturdy Samsonite attaché case, source some foam, glue pieces together if you have to. Three layers. make cutouts on the middle layer to fit your mikes, stuff the top layer onto the case lid. Done. While you're there grab an old-school Samsonite Make-up case to store your accessories and snacks. Your gear is only as good as the cases they are in. Cables in the bag are good.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I normally play local bars and restaurants and sometimes tiki bar-type gigs in the summer. Unless it's a quiet background gig in a restaurant, I always carry a mic, XLR cable & short stand for my bass drum; it all goes into an old plaid bowling ball bag I got at a thrift store (the mic itself is in the padded bag and box it came in).

If I need to mic the whole kit, I carry those other mics (each in its padded bag), their respective XLR cables & the clamps with which to mount them all in another Thrift Store find: an old, smallish American Tourister hard shell suitcase. It's a low-rent DIY thing, but it works. I always move my own stuff.
Go back and grab an old-school make-up case for the accessories and snacks!

Cpb282

Reaction score
One thing I do with instrument / mic / speaker cables is put each in 1 or 2 gallon ziploc bags. I don’t actually close the tops, but it keeps them from getting tangled with one another (but not with themselves!)

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I do with instrument / mic / speaker cables is put each in 1 or 2 gallon ziploc bags. I don’t actually close the tops, but it keeps them from getting tangled with one another (but not with themselves!)
Good idea. I color code all my mics and related cables. I wrap a piece of color tape on each end and every five feet on my 20' cables - makes it easy to tell 'em apart in that snake pile behind the mixer at the end of the night.

FlowTom

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Musician's Friend put Road Runner tom bags on closeout, I got a few at 14.99 a pop. For cords and cables. They have 9x10 and 10x12 at that price.
I cut circular dividers out of double wall cardboard or 1/8" ply so I can stack cables right up to the top of the bag like IHOP pancakes.
Color coded velcro cable ties are a big help.

Living Dead Drummer

Reaction score
Mics I keep in a Coffin Case much like the one I use for my IEM rig.
extra mics and cables all go in an old pedal bag, however that thing has seen some better days and it’s probably time to upgrade.

covinasurf

Reaction score
Mics go in a camera bag, mixer in it's own bag and cables, snake and power in a plastic milk crate. The milk crate doubles as a mixer stand.

On a related note, not sure how I did without a snake for all these years. Much easier setup and takedown

JH
IMG_1432.JPG IMG_1433.JPG

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We used what was called a trap box with wheels generally for cables and hardware.

41tKjLH5L+L._SY300_QL70_.jpg.cf.jpg