Mics?

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can you guys offer advice on mics for snare and toms? I want to start trying to mic my snare and toms (already have a kick mic) through my in-ears with other instruments so I can actually hear my drums better. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
EDIT: Geez, I really blew this one. Totally missed the "already have a bass drum mic" and the "snare and toms" part....(insert eye roll).

Ahh....Shure SM57s.... Senheiser e604s Audix D5 (snare) D2/4 toms.

I will leave the rest of my original post...too much to delete!

Mics can be a real rabbit hole....lol.

Budget? First thing is how much do you want to spend, and what exactly do you want out of them? Also-what will you be running them through, and how many channels are available for drum mics?

You can buy a basic five (6?) piece kit with mounts from CAD for under $200 that will get sound from the drums to your ears.

You can buy a four piece kit from Shure for around $400 that will get better sound from your drums to your ears.

You can buy a four piece kit from Audix for around $600 that will get a wee bit better sound (very subjective, hence the rabbit hole) to your ears....

And on it goes....

I have an Audix kit and I have a CAD kit, and a few other oddball mics.

For live and rehearsal I was actually very surprised at how well the CADs can do for whst I paid. So if you just want a basic kit for that kind of thing and have a limited budget I don't think they are a "wrong" choice. Not to mention you can get them all at once without waiting for a "good" deal on a pack of better used mics or having to save up.

I found my Audix kit on the 'bay for $375 "pre-owned" and they look brand new. So there are deals to be had.

I have not used the Shure or AKG kits personally, but I have heard that they are good kits as well.

Other than that, it can get very expensive as you climb the ladder.

I am sure others will be along shortly to add their expertise and suggestions.... But that is what I have to offer. Lol.

Last edited:

Barden

Reaction score
If you just need to hear snare and toms for monitoring you could do what I just did and get a pair of overheards (small diaphragm condensers). I have a set of three shure sm57s with mic clips, but I don't have enough channels on the board to use them where I play. If I'm not recording, this is definitely sufficient.

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you're on a budget, I would recommend the Nady brand drum mics. I used them for 15 years with no issues whatsoever. You can get a single mic (DM70) for $30 or a set of 5 (the set I have, DMK-5) for $120.

I upgraded all my drum mics a few years ago to Shure Beta 98 AMP mics but still use the Nady DM70 for the snare drum; it's a really good mic for the snare drum.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
For live micing the drums with my current band when we are responsible for providing sound, I just have some mid-line CAD mics. I have the kick mic permanently mounted on a Kelly Shu, and a Shure SM57 on the snare. I use just one CAD overhead condenser to take a "picture" of the drum set, and I'll tell you that it works remarkably well for front of house as well as as sending drum signal to my in ears (small format 6 channel mixer). We've been doing it this way for about 5 years and have never even needed tom mics.

In situations where the sound is provided by a third party (and I don't know them lol), I'll still set up that overhead condenser and run it straight into my mixer so I can at least hear the kit the way I want to hear it. I'll have the sound guy send me kick drum with the rest of my band monitor feed if I need it.

simedgoose

Reaction score
If its just for your monitoring, then I'd suggest the Yamaha EAD-10. 30 seconds to mic the kit and you can process it to sound how you want in your IEM. If the soundman wants a bit for FOH then great. Since I've used mine I'm playing half the volume as I can suddenly hear myself.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a set of PG56's in the for sale section for a good price that would cover two toms or you can put one in between two rack toms one between two floor toms sort of thing, then pick up a used 57 for the snare...if I understand your mostly needing this for home use or for live with a band? Either way the above would be a pretty good start and on a budget.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
If its just for your monitoring, then I'd suggest the Yamaha EAD-10. 30 seconds to mic the kit and you can process it to sound how you want in your IEM. If the soundman wants a bit for FOH then great. Since I've used mine I'm playing half the volume as I can suddenly hear myself.
Ditto!

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Buy used SM57s and be done with it. Small investment for a tried and true mic.

GeeDeeEmm

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
If it's just for monitoring yourself, I'd just get an overhead or two. If you're reinforcing the kit to FOH, I really like the Senn e604. I just got the 3-pack since I already had a Shure Beta 52 in my bass drum, so all I needed was snare and the two toms.

I made short run cables to run the mics to a small mixer to my side attached to a mic boom clamped to my vocal mic stand. I can mix them for FOH and my IEM mix individually. The FOH mix just goes to one channel on the main board while my vocals go to another channel. Depending where we play, I'll also run an overhead to a third channel on the main board.

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
BTW, SM 57 is a dynamic mic...
For a simple but effective set-up, I use a Shure Beta 52 for bass, a pair of Rode NT5 overheads for everything else. It is surprising the amount of "information" the overheads will provide

TPC

Reaction score
Don’t laugh ...

Apex 435’s.

I’ve got bunch of dynamic and condenser mic’s (57’s, 58’s, AT4050’s, SM81’s, ...), but I swear that whenever I side by side listen for an upcoming project, inevitably the Apex 435’s just sound better. Hard to believe, I know, and if I didn’t do the tests myself, I wouldn’t believe me either.

Rock Salad

Reaction score
I like the idea of overhead plus a kick mic, but what about electric guitarists? Can it still work? And recomend a stand and height please.

Woody85

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Get a used sm57 (they're everywhere) and e604s for the toms. The e604s have clips so you don't have to worry about additional stands.

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used SM57s for years. Recently I switched to beta56 microphones for the snare and toms. I'm using Kelly SHU mounts in my 14" and 16" floor toms, as well as a Kelly SHU mount for the Beta 52 in my bass drum. Here is a photo of the installation in my 16" floor tom.

1565995361384.png

Latest posts