MID-1920s LUDWIG & LUDWIG 8 LUG 4 x 14 (*DEEP CUT) SCROLL ENGRAVED DeLUXE STANDARD MODEL

curotto

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hello fellow Forumites,

Here’s another snare drum that I got a long time ago from my good friend and fellow collector Mike Echart. You can see this drum on pages 62-63 in my book: VINTAGE SNARE DRUMS THE CUROTTO COLLECTION.

MID-1920s LUDWIG & LUDWIG 8 LUG 4 x 14 (*DEEP CUT) SCROLL ENGRAVED DeLUXE STANDARD MODEL

Quote from my book:
”Noted Black Beauty expert John Aldridge has stated the scroll (wave) engraving pattern on this drum has been seen on only one other drum as of this writing. There is a deeper cut on this engraving pattern when compared to the more common scroll pattern of the era.” NB: The quote is from 2006 so it’s safe to say that other examples have probably surfaced in the last 14 years. Feel free to weigh-in if you know of or own similar examples of this engraving pattern.

Enjoy!

Mike Curotto

Attachments

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
This is one of my all-time favorites. Something about that deep cut really makes the engraving pop as well as that pattern.

vigilante397

Reaction score
I've never really been attracted to vintage drums, but I think this one just converted me. Absolutely gorgeous.