Mid-level cymbal recommendations

Eyedrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Used is fine if you're willing to be patient, but as far as the XSR goes those aren't beginner cymbals and they don't sound sub-par. They're also B20. I agree getting used pro cymbals is ideal, but I remember back to when I was in high school I would've killed to have a nice set of XSRs (had they existed at the time).
I totally agree with the sound of the XSR cymbals. I bought a set and later gave them to our lead singer's kid who is a beginning drummer. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another set either.

One of my reasons for wanting mid-level cymbals is for hosting jam nights or other settings were multiple players may be playing your kit.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ok...so call me "confused"...until I read the very last post that is lol.

Original post: (excuse me if I yell for a moment) "...*snip*....I ALREADY HAVE A SET OF PAISTE 2002 AND FORMULA 602 MODERN ESSENTIALS...."

So, obviously, we aren't dealing with a newbie looking for the best way to get hold of "pro cymbals"....

So, the question is: I need an inexpensive set of cymbals that sound good and can be used for jam nights....?

Answer:

Paiste PST7s, 900s
Zildjian USED As
Sabian USED AAs
etc.
etc.
etc.

LOL

Eyedrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok...so call me "confused"...until I read the very last post that is lol.

Original post: (excuse me if I yell for a moment) "...*snip*....I ALREADY HAVE A SET OF PAISTE 2002 AND FORMULA 602 MODERN ESSENTIALS...."

So, obviously, we aren't dealing with a newbie looking for the best way to get hold of "pro cymbals"....

So, the question is: I need an inexpensive set of cymbals that sound good and can be used for jam nights....?

Answer:

Paiste PST7s, 900s
Zildjian USED As
Sabian USED AAs
etc.
etc.
etc.

LOL
Love this!! Hahaha, my bad. I should have been more clear with my reason for using the mid-level cymbals in the initial post. :)

TPC

Reaction score
Like many have said, used old A’s. Some eras are hated by many and can be had real cheap (70’s, for example). A 70’s 22” Ride, 18” Crash, and ugly old 15” New Beats can be had for under $400, and in the proper setting sound as good as anything.

(All the other answers are good, too.)

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for some mid-level cymbals that won’t break the bank and deliver a nice sound. Something gig-worthy and reliable. I have tried the Sabian XSR series and was impressed with both the sound and quality of the cymbals. I am looking for large rock sizes: 22” ride, 18 & 20” crashes and 15” hihats.

I currently own a set of Paiste 2002 and Paiste Modern Essential 602 Series cymbals but want something less expensive to use when desired.

Thank you!
Vintage A's are going for decent prices.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Vintage A's are going for decent prices.
Not really. I have vintage 60's, 70's, and 80's A's in the $65-$95 range for 18,20,22's. They move very slowly. I think most newbies today prefer bright and shiny and under $50 a cymbal. It is true that most sellers are asking "for decent to solid prices." And few get it outside of the drum shops and vintage cymbal retailers.

I've run across "some" Kruts, Zilco's, 80's Zildjian Amirs, even ZBT's that were pretty darn decent and stood out from the pack. Some 22" ZBT rides are actually good. The older "circle" ZBT 18" crash/ride is very close to the sound of an A. I was shocked when I heard one....got it for $35. Wuhan thin crashes are all pretty good. I've picked up 16's and 18's for $30-$40 each and they were pretty close to A's as well.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Some or many Wuhan 16" thin crashes sound as good or better than a comparable weight Zildjian A thin or fast crash. Who knew?
I did. I have a set. Still use them. The 16" thin iis a great cymbal. I have some Wuhan splash cycbals I use with my Zildjian A & K's because the Zildjian K splashes I have just dont sound as good. Sorry Zildjian. However, the K Custom Fast Crashes are hard to beat even by Wuhan. I have 16 & 18 Wuhan crashes and 16 & 18 K Custom Fast Crashes. I have 20 and 21" Wuhan rides that sound good too. I've asked my band mates which they perfer to hear at a gig, and the consensus is Zildjian.

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
The XSR cymbals are great. I've had a few and currently use the X-Celerator hats. I had some Zildjian S series which is in the same price range and the XSR is better imo. I've used them side by side with my AAX cymbals and you can't tell much of a difference.
I have a set of 13" XSR hats that work just fine with my AAX's.

gretschdrummer

Reaction score
Brother, we have said this before, "Great Mikes think alike!" I was just getting a price on a set of the Paiste 900 series in the 22/18/20/15 hi hats sizes. I tried a set at our local Guitar Center and was very impressed with the sound and build quality of the cymbals. They are reminiscent of my Paiste 2002 cymbals. I too think they sound great!
900s.
Absolutely great

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Paiste 900 series. These sound fantastic, and you can get a set of 15" Heavy Hats in that series.

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I will also share that I have found some Wuhans that sound amazing. As we all know - (but I want to remind us) is that the problem with the pies made in eastern Asia - they are wildly inconsistent. In person - sure, check them all out, snag some killer grabs. But when it comes to online - Paiste is the way to go as you can count on the consistency more with Paiste than any other brand.
PST7s or even Thin PST5s or thin Alphas.
404s and 505s used to be the ones to grab for this - - - but they have become a bit harder to find at reasonable prices because they have become so popular among hunters of great vintage cymbals.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m looking for some mid-level cymbals that won’t break the bank and deliver a nice sound. Something gig-worthy and reliable. I have tried the Sabian XSR series and was impressed with both the sound and quality of the cymbals. I am looking for large rock sizes: 22” ride, 18 & 20” crashes and 15” hihats.

I currently own a set of Paiste 2002 and Paiste Modern Essential 602 Series cymbals but want something less expensive to use when desired.

Thank you!
I see a few recommendations for the 900's. I had a new full set of the 900's and sold them all within 4 months. I had the "odd size" cymbal pack and added the 16" & 18" crashes so I got to use quite a few sizes in the range. Their are much better options out there! They just don't have the punch of the 2002's or even the old Alphas. I even found that the PST 7's were equally sounding (or better) for less money. Once I sold them, I got into buying the Turkish & Italian stuff and that was that! My suggestion is that you either personally go and try out the midrange stuff in different brands and ranges within the budget that you have set or watch & listen to alot of Youtube demos and like that you can get an idea of what you would like. Cymbal sounds are totally subjective so don't just go with what everyone recommends. Remember that alot of us are centered around certain brands as well and that won't help you in the end. What I might love might sound crappy to you and vice versa! Try to buy the best that you can that way you keep them long term. I personally don't like the used route (I know alot of people suggest it) because for me buying new guarantees me that I'm the only one that can mess up the cymbal and if it came defective I can just return it and get a replacement. If it's used and it has some structural defect and you bought it from "some guy", you generally have to eat it. Just my humble opinion!
Good luck, LRod

Last edited:

stuart s

Reaction score
I see a few recommendations for the 900's. I had a new full set of the 900's and sold them all within 4 months. I had the "odd size" cymbal pack and added the 16" & 18" crashes so I got to use quite a few sizes in the range. Their are much better options out there! They just don't have the punch of the 2002's or even the old Alphas. I even found that the PST 7's were equally sounding (or better) for less money. Once I sold them, I got into buying the Turkish & Italian stuff and that was that! My suggestion is that you either personally go and try out the midrange stuff in different brands and ranges within the budget that you have set or watch & listen to alot of Youtube demos and like that you can get an idea of what you would like. Cymbal sounds are totally subjective so don't just go with what everyone recommends. Remember that alot of us are centered around certain brands as well and that won't help you in the end. What I might love might sound crappy to you and vice versa! Try to buy the best that you can that way you keep them long term. I personally don't like the used route (I know alot of people suggest it) because for me buying new guarantees me that I'm the only one that can mess up the cymbal and if it came defective I can just return it and get a replacement. If it's used and it has some structural defect and you bought it from "some guy", you generally have to eat it. Just my humble opinion!
Good luck, LRod
The Pst 7's and even the 5's are a better choice than the 900's in my opinion, and cheaper

Old Dog

Reaction score
I certainly agree with those suggesting buying good, used cymbals. But, you mentioned rock music in your OP, so I'll add the Zildjian S line of cymbals. I picked up the S Mastersound hats 14", when trading in my electric guitars. They will CUT through for sure. Sorry, no experience with the S family crashes or rides.

Latest posts