Mid-life crisis? Starting guitar in my late 50s

Ncrhythmman

Reaction score
I say good move & Yes, learn some guitar. I'm a lifelong 60 yr old drummer & in 2012 after being frustrated playing in a group I didn't get much recognition in, decided I'd play more guitar. I'd picked at it off n on for years prior, but never took it too seriously, knowing Drums are my main instrument. In 2012 started taking guitar seriously, & now do solo/duo gigs, etc & it just makes you a Better all around musician...Enjoy the ride !

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
I’ve had a guitar since I was in high school-never really played it much. Now I’m 43 and decided I would dig into it a lot more. I play every day and barely even play drums now (still play in a couple of bands). It’s a lot of fun-I play bad in a band now as well. Over the last year I’ve bought 3 guitars and 2 Marshall amps so it’s getting a little out of hand.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I hear ya! But if I start feeling GAS coming on, I'll just buy a different drum set! :icon_lol:
No you wont. It'll lead to an electric guitar, then amps (each getting progressivly larger and more powerfull), then EFX pedals, then....

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had a lot of drum sets. If you look at my sig line, one can see I still have several now. I like to find old sets, restore them, play them a while then resell them to an eager new owner.

Last weekend, while chasing down a lead on a vintage Gretsch drum set, I stumbled onto a 2002 Martin 000C-16RGTE. Solid wood, USA made, Grand Auditorium side. The price was surprisingly low, I'm not sure but I think the seller didn't understand the value. Or maybe the seller just didn't care. But the guitar was in mint condition. And the tone... wow! My son (who plays damn near everything) had taught me a few simple chords years back and as I strummed the instrument, I was swept back to jr high again, when I wanted to take guitar but my father's job took us to a small town without a guitar instructor.

I was looking for a Gretsch but I came home with a Martin. Yes, I bought it on a whim. I'll be honest, part of the reason I bought it was the price. I could easily sell it on Reverb and double my money. But... but... what if I could take lessons now? I have time, I have the money for lessons. Practicing a guitar is certainly quieter than drums! I have some music theory in my past, I took piano for years before moving to drums.

I haven't told my GF yet, because I don't want her to laugh at me (she doesn't always appreciate the amount of money I have tied up in my drums.) Maybe I'm just having a midlife crisis and being stupid. But I love the sounds of an acoustic guitar, playing something slow. And my musician son is encouraging me. But still: taking beginning lessons as I approach 60?
Look at this way, That's less money spent on something that has a greater chance of leaving you. Your instrument is forever.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Will you become a rock star starting guitar at 57? No. But the odds are only ever so slightly worse than starting at 15.

scole

Reaction score
Same here, but opposite direction. I’ve played guitar since my teens and last year, at 49, I started up on drums. I’ve enjoyed it so far (twice as much stuff to look for on Offer Up!) but taking lessons on both instruments has been a little tough to manage at times. Anyways, as long as you can swing it financially, there’s no harm in becoming a two sport star :cool:

Lord Ny

Reaction score
:)
Maybe I was more asking if others had done the same thing.
I gave my brother a trombone when he started buying motorcycles and stuff to steer him into a better mid life crisis :) He took beginning lessons with high school kids on Jazz. Luckily the motorcycles and jetski are gone and he is all in on several instruments. He did end up with a woman 20 years younger (also a musician) once he got into music, so great things happened for him during his mid life crisis :)

HowardW

Reaction score
Look at this way, That's less money spent on something that has a greater chance of leaving you. Your instrument is forever.
:icon_lol:

Something I've discovered is that where I live I have a better opportunity to buy/clean up/sell used guitars than drums! So this new direction may combine the best of GAS without putting a ton of money into the hobby! Buy one, clean it up and restring, play it a bit, and if I don't like it, sell and start over.

sternerp

Reaction score
I’ve gone even further with a 66 year old Senior Moment (I never had a mid-life crisis) last week. It’s not drums. I bought a Brand-new sports car that can’t fit more than a snare drum and maybe a disassembled throne. It is totally impractical, and I had to keep my Honda CRV to carry my gear. But it's a dream I’ve had since I had a Bugeye Sprite as a teenager. It’s a blast to drive, and my wife loves to drive it so much that she wants one, too.

7E9321CE-8EF0-4A95-A840-97928DD96513.jpeg

DrumTransit

Reaction score
My father, a lifelong drummer, began playing guitar in his late 40s and took lessons for a decade. He could definitely hold his own in a band after a year or two. As a kid, I remember him always playing a mix of Malaguena and blues riffs. I think it's great to learn more instruments, as it makes you a better musician overall.

HowardW

Reaction score
Thanks everybody!

I found a local instructor, but he wants to teach me nothing but finger-picking techniques. I need to start with simple chord strumming. After a month I feel the lessons are going nowhere, but I think down the road I could a lot from this guy. Sigh.

HowardW

Reaction score
I’ve gone even further with a 66 year old Senior Moment (I never had a mid-life crisis) last week. It’s not drums. I bought a Brand-new sports car that can’t fit more than a snare drum and maybe a disassembled throne. It is totally impractical, and I had to keep my Honda CRV to carry my gear. But it's a dream I’ve had since I had a Bugeye Sprite as a teenager. It’s a blast to drive, and my wife loves to drive it so much that she wants one, too.

. View attachment 509897
Here's my Mid-life mobile. My GF loves it, but she can't drive a stick (and I'm not teaching her :) ).

Attachments