MIDI signal losing connection

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
Hi,
I connected my Alesis Turbo Mesh Kit to my PC and I use it as a MIDI device. I mainly use EZdrummer to play, both the standalone version and the VST (with Reaper). Recently I've noticed that the MIDI signal get lost while I'm playing and I must restart the drums and/or the plugin in order to make it work again. Sometimes it happens after an hour of playing, sometimes after a minute, sometimes it happens so quickly and so many times in a row that I just quit playing. It's annoying, but I think it's solvable with some help. Here's what I can tell you at the moment:
- I checked everything related to MIDI connection on both the VST and Reaper, and everything seems ok to me
- It happens with both the standalone version and the VST, so I guess it doesn't depend on EZdrummmer (the files are the same by the way)
- It happens also with Power Drum Kit, so I guess it doesn't depend on Reaper
I think that the problem can be related to the cable I use, USB powering options, USB "wrong" port, or maybe it's simpler than that.
Any help?

MusicianMagic

Reaction score
Hi,
I connected my Alesis Turbo Mesh Kit to my PC and I use it as a MIDI device. I mainly use EZdrummer to play, both the standalone version and the VST (with Reaper). Recently I've noticed that the MIDI signal get lost while I'm playing and I must restart the drums and/or the plugin in order to make it work again. Sometimes it happens after an hour of playing, sometimes after a minute, sometimes it happens so quickly and so many times in a row that I just quit playing. It's annoying, but I think it's solvable with some help. Here's what I can tell you at the moment:
- I checked everything related to MIDI connection on both the VST and Reaper, and everything seems ok to me
- It happens with both the standalone version and the VST, so I guess it doesn't depend on EZdrummmer (the files are the same by the way)
- It happens also with Power Drum Kit, so I guess it doesn't depend on Reaper
I think that the problem can be related to the cable I use, USB powering options, USB "wrong" port, or maybe it's simpler than that.
Any help?
1. Check the USB cable. Make sure its a 2.0 cable, not 1.1. It should have a + plus sign next to the USB logo. And try a different cable anyway. Even if its what came with the Alexis, often companies include cheap cables that are not reliable.
2. Try a different USB port on the computer. A lot of USB midi have problems because of conflicts with another USB device sharing that USB channel. On 1.1 or 2. USB there are 2 ports per channel. If its a desktop, try switching between front panel & back USB ports.
3. Is this Mac, Windows or Linux? If Windows it could be the USB going into power save. Try disabling power save on usb.

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
Hi,
I'll check the cables later today after work, thanks.
I can switch from front and back panel of course, I have both USB 2 and USB 3 ports on my computer, but the MIDI cable must be USB 2 because my Alesis Kit has USB 2.
Is it better to use a USB 2 port on my computer to avoid compatibility problems?
It's a PC with Windows 10.

Anyway... yesterday I tried to use the same old cable and I played for almost an hour without problems. It's completely random!

MusicianMagic

Reaction score
Hi,
I'll check the cables later today after work, thanks.
I can switch from front and back panel of course, I have both USB 2 and USB 3 ports on my computer, but the MIDI cable must be USB 2 because my Alesis Kit has USB 2.
Is it better to use a USB 2 port on my computer to avoid compatibility problems?
It's a PC with Windows 10.

Anyway... yesterday I tried to use the same old cable and I played for almost an hour without problems. It's completely random!
All 3 things I gave you are related to random issues.
USB 3 ports are backwards compatible. You can use the Alexis with either 2 or 3.0 ports. But not 1.x. This applies to usb hubs as well although if the hub is plugged in a 1.x computer port hubs do not upgrade the version.

I've seen manufacturers include USB cables that are older USB versions than their devices or even just crappy quality. Trying to save a few cents. One high-end audio interface company did that a few years ago. Whoops! I almost always buy quality USB cables & relegate the free cables to inconsequential devices or a drawer.

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
Thanks for your help, I'll report back asap.

EDIT: quick update.
I tried to upgrade my chipset/USB drivers both via Windows 10's tool and manually, after downloading the drivers from the manufacturer of my motherboard. In both cases a pop-up showed telling me that my drivers were already up to date, so I just changed the cable and for now everything is working fine. If the problem show up again I'll try to check USB powering options and other things you suggested here. Thanks.

Last edited: