Might want to reconsider re-use of shipping containers...

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For those that buy & sell stuff across the country, allow me to share this thought:

i usually save clean and serviceable boxes and packing material for shipping items I sell, but no more. Something from somewhere brought some hitchhikers along - I now have roaches in my garage!

stickinthemud

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would say it is probably not the boxes you have to worry about so much as stuff like newspaper or loose-fill packing material. They do look to nestle down in that stuff.

I put all my loose fill, bubble wrap, etc., in a big plastic bag and tie it shut, and collapse the boxes. Newspaper goes in the recycle bin, or gets read if it's from an interesting place.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
That reminds me of years ago when I used to do computer refurbishing and repair. A woman brought in a computer for us to repair and left it. We opened up the case and what seemed like more than a thousand cockroaches of varying sizes fell out and started crawling all over the counter and off into the floor. We ran out the door screaming like little girls. You can't be too careful with stuff that comes in your door.

bonzoleum

BONZOLEUM
Reaction score
Thumper said:
For those that buy & sell stuff across the country, allow me to share this thought:

i usually save clean and serviceable boxes and packing material for shipping items I sell, but no more. Something from somewhere brought some hitchhikers along - I now have roaches in my garage!
Roaches love the corrugation in the boxes. They lay eggs there!

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ah, back when I came on the job as a "rookie" firefighter, we had a fire in some crack shack in the middle of the night.

While pulling ceilings, I mentioned to a veteran FF I was working with, something about the insulation falling with the plaster didn't feel right.

He shined a light at the ceiling, and said, "thats not insulation boy, those are roaches, thousands of roaches."

Remind me to to you the story of the dead body and the fleas. :confused2:

stickinthemud

DFO Master
Reaction score
bonzoleum said:

Roaches love the corrugation in the boxes. They lay eggs there!
Er, um, on second thought, JUST RECYCLE IT ALL!