MIJ Dorado by Gretsch 70s Faded Sparkle Made in Japan Hoshino K Star Stencil Drumset w/xtrs 22 13 16

hatandbeard

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vintage MIJ Dorado by Gretsch Hoshino K Star Stencil Kit Drumset 22 13 16
MIJ Made in Japan Hoshino K Star Stencil Drumset
Rare 1973 Dorado by Gretsch (only year offered etc)
Made in Japan Drumset
Overall excellent condition
All original no modifications no extra holes no missing parts, drums are in round with no damage, rims and hoops are in round sit flat and in excellent condition with no damage.
All original stands, drum keys, consolette key, one original Maxitone 16" crash cymbal, matching top and bottom 70s/80s era Evans hydraulic heads with minimal wear, original bass drum pedal, original hi-hats and hi-hat stand pedal.
22 13 16
14x22 bass drum 10 lug, bass drum has a little bit heavier with the extra lugs and the metal bass drum hoops and the rail consolette is nice and heavy.
9x13 tom tom mount tom 8 lug (yes factory 8 lug)
16x16 floor tom 8 lug with original floor tom legs.

Faded silver sparkle, could be faded champagne sparkle
Wrap could also be a glass glitter actually.

You won't find too many of these. Likely you won't find a sparkle wrapped one either.
Info I've dug up. All info found in "quotes":
"-Dorado by Gretsch - Made in Japan — Not So Modern Drummer-
-Sep 29, 2015 · As to why they were distributed by Gretsch, there was a long standing rumor that the Dorado was imported by Gretsch/Baldwin to make up for the lack of inventory after the Booneville factory fire in January 1973 destroyed the Gretsch …? Unconfirmed.
Author: George Lawrence
-1973 catalog: Apparently the drums were only offered that year. They also made a line of “Dorado” guitars and basses which seem fairly collectible.-
-Likely replaced by the Blackhawk line of Gretsch drums, in later years. Interesting concept...Gretsch hardware on imported shells. Gretsch continued this practice when they aligned with Kaman (and took advantage of their line of imported drums), then later DW, after Kaman folded. The Catalina series would be the current equivalent.-
-This “stencil” kit was made by the Hoshino K company.
Hoshino the brand is from the manufacturer Hoshino Kougyou (Hoshino K). They were one of the top manufacturers of the 60's & 70's Japanese stencil brand drums. Pearl and Star were the other two big stencil manufacturers. Hoshino K has little documentation and disappeared in the 70's. MIJ drums are the best kept secret in Vintage drum collecting circles. Lots of cool retro warm tones and vintage vibe for a small Fraction of a set of American made drums from the same era.-"

I got this from what seems the 2nd owner who didn't play it.
I can tell this set wasn't played much by the 1st original owner who most certainly let it sit in the sun in the living room window as the set's sparkle wrap is classically faded most specifically the floor tom which also shows discoloration on the wrap.
I had the correct length legs made as they were without them.
As you can see the bass drum leg mounting brackets from the factory are installed very high up on the drum shell which would require very long legs; so I took the time to have the correct ones made.
I wanted to add backing plate mounts for the bass drum leg mounts because the drum was made from the factory without them//you can also see that none of the backing screws for any of the lugs have any washers also the way that it is from the factory. I will include the backing plates that I bought that I started to drill the correct hole size for BUT the backing screws are not metric and are proprietary from the 70s so you're not going to find them, and you're going to need longer screws to accommodate for the thickness of the backing plate, and I've consulted the best of the best in one-off Metric Hardware here in Chicago/so you either will need to retap the threads on the leg brackets themselves which I don't recommend or you're going to have to find identical matching hole spacing bass drum leg mounts so you don't alter the shell (..they almost look like Leedy don't they ;), or just carefully set the drum set up as is with the legs as the thumb screws in the mount hold them just fine, and use it at home or in the studio :) versus tours and gigs. You can also drill the backing plates directly to the Shell if you really wanted to install the backing plates with the leg mounting bracket the way it should be but you'd have to be very careful and be prepared to go through the shell and I don't want you to do that.

*I know this set would sound awesome with modern correct heads.
*I know that someone has the patience and know how to get those backing plates on the leg mounts installed correctly should that be desired.
The shells are much thicker than what you would expect!/kind of wild!
The factory bearing edges are very flat on all of the drums with just a touch of 30° countercut. All the bearing edges are in great condition top and bottom front and back.
The factory shells do not have reinforcement hoops.
The TomTom and the floor tom both have Mufflers but I will say the Mufflers are quite cheap out of all of the elements on the set the Mufflers are the cheapest and they do work okay and I believe one of the knobs may have a little bit a bend to it but still functional.
The TomTom has a support backing plate on the inside of the Tom mount against the shell.
The insides of the shells from the factory are stained a dark brown.
The hardware is actually quite nice and much nicer than any Made in Japan set I've ever seen before. And after coming across all the different kinds of made in Japan drums over the years I've never seen one of these MIJ Dorado by Gretsch sets and most will tell you the same and with all of the extras that are original to the set and its Rarity and overall excellent barely used condition where only the sparkle wrap has fade to it; for what this set is the price reflects that.
As you can imagine the stands and pedals are cheap but they do work and they've been barely used.
There's an extra 14" cheap cymbal.
I had one of of the cracks in the sparkle wrap repaired on the 13-inch Tom *pic shows repair and some of the area near the top edge of the wrap just under where the head sits repaired and there's also a very small section of the wrap on the other side of the 13" tom near the edge that could have some more attention as it has a little dimple that I missed having repaired and it's affecting the tuning of the current heads-*pic also shows
The bass drum T rods are all in excellent condition as are the claws and are all quite heavy duty.
The bass drum hoops are the classic 70s metal hoops as you would imagine. The inlay on the bass drum hoops are holding properly and are complete all the way around both hoops.
The heads are in good shape and sound ok but they take forever to seat so I would recommend new heads. The small area on the wrap on the 13 needs to be repaired as I mentioned so I can't get that head to seat correctly on that side to tune properly and I don't want to force that small dimpled area that needs to be repaired against the pressure of the tightened down head.
The rail consolette works great as does the mount on the 13 because again this set has barely been used.
One of the washers on the hi-hat clutch and one of the washers on one of the cymbal stands and on all three floor tom legs mounts all have JAPAN stamped into them.
I have a feeling someone's going to love this set.
I think this would be the ultimate Studio set.

Asking $1250 plus shipping

This set will be expensive to ship because it is a little bit heavier and with the extras that'll add some price to the shipping but if you're willing to pay for the shipping and handling then I will happily consider it packing it up properly and safely for shipping.
The last full set I sold with extras and hardware was in the $400 range and that was to California from Chicago please keep that in mind☆♡

Local Chicago pickup highly recommended and preferred if possible.

Attachments

Last edited:

hatandbeard

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Additional Pics

Attachments

hatandbeard

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
More pics

Attachments

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have one of the Dorado acoustic guitars, from around that same time frame. Neat to see drums!

Dan

hatandbeard

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one of the Dorado acoustic guitars, from around that same time frame. Neat to see drums!

Dan
I've never seen the drums before, most of us haven't ha!¿ Ultra one off!☆

Super cool you hav a guitar by them too.
How's the quality ☆¿

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've never seen the drums before, most of us haven't ha!¿ Ultra one off!☆

Super cool you hav a guitar by them too.
How's the quality ☆¿
It's honestly ok. It tunes up. It has a nice "bite" to it, but is far inferior to other brands. I think I replaced it with an Ovation before I found out that what I thought was an intonation issue caused by neck warpage was actually just very old strings. Whoops.

Dan