header.nohb.html

Mij restoration

4MoreYearsOhNo

Reaction score
Its standard US 12 24. Spins freely in a ludwig swivel nut. Thanks a bunch!
Well I looked, and don't have a match. I don't have any MIJ claws even close to those. And I have a few trods that are somewhat similar, but definitely not the same.

Which made me crazy, because the look of those parts is so familiar, so I looked at some of my American drums, and realized that the claws you have are VERY close, if not identical, to the 60's 70's Slingerland claws. And the trods also look more like Slingerland trods from the 50's than any MIJ I can find.

So I'm wondering whether it is possible that these parts you have are actually vintage US parts that fit, and not the original MIJ parts that came with the drum? Do you think that is possible? Sling Pics below:
d09b27eec3a9bdb17288efd9711a46c7.jpg

actyln5sehxogk1seanh.jpg

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I looked, and don't have a match. I don't have any MIJ claws even close to those. And I have a few trods that are somewhat similar, but definitely not the same.

Which made me crazy, because the look of those parts is so familiar, so I looked at some of my American drums, and realized that the claws you have are VERY close, if not identical, to the 60's 70's Slingerland claws. And the trods also look more like Slingerland trods from the 50's than any MIJ I can find.

So I'm wondering whether it is possible that these parts you have are actually vintage US parts that fit, and not the original MIJ parts that came with the drum? Do you think that is possible? Sling Pics below:
d09b27eec3a9bdb17288efd9711a46c7.jpg

actyln5sehxogk1seanh.jpg
Yup they're original, Slingy knock offs

4MoreYearsOhNo

Reaction score
Yup they're original, Slingy knock offs
Yow, well this does look like a very long term project pulling together matching parts and missing drums. You said this came from the trash - is it literally your old drum, or just the same badge and finish as your old drum?

I guess the good news for parts for this one drum, at least, is that you can use some old Slingerland parts since they are so close in appearance, and look to be much easier to find - lots on ebay.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yow, well this does look like a very long term project pulling together matching parts and missing drums. You said this came from the trash - is it literally your old drum, or just the same badge and finish as your old drum?

I guess the good news for parts for this one drum, at least, is that you can use some old Slingerland parts since they are so close in appearance, and look to be much easier to find - lots on ebay.
It’s not the actual drum but the exact same model,badge, color, size, including same location Rochester!
Its taken 20 yrs before one popped up so hey you never know! I’m sure the parts are out there somewhere they always are patients and persistence are key. In the meantime I can grab some non factory hardware as you suggest, it doesn’t have to be factory perfect to get it playable !

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My first bass drum circa 1967 was recently found and brought home for some tlc. Still looking for the rest of the kit . In the meantime I have to re glue the ply’s and rings. Will be followed by new edges. Coming along slowly but nicely as I have a minute here and there.
View attachment 592058 View attachment 592059 View attachment 592060

My first bass drum circa 1967 was recently found and brought home for some tlc. Still looking for the rest of the kit . In the meantime I have to re glue the ply’s and rings. Will be followed by new edges. Coming along slowly but nicely as I have a minute here and there.
View attachment 592058 View attachment 592059 View attachment 592060
My first kit was:
gold sparkle MIJ snare from my parents for Christmas one year
-then bought a sky blue pearl Stewart or MIJ tom/ bass drum (with "Club date" lugs ) with no name cymbal (don't you love the bent cymbal stand mounted on the bass? And the flower sticker on the rack tom? )
Does it look similar to the wrap on your bass drum?

Attachments

• firstdrums2.jpg
    firstdrums2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first kit was:
gold sparkle MIJ snare from my parents for Christmas one year
-then bought a sky blue pearl Stewart or MIJ tom/ bass drum (with "Club date" lugs ) with no name cymbal (don't you love the bent cymbal stand mounted on the bass? And the flower sticker on the rack tom? )
Does it look similar to the wrap on your bass drum?
Looks like the same wrap! I remember those flower power stickers after that it was the smiley face and the peace sign. Good times. Thx for posting!