MIJs - getting sucked up into collections?

Kenwood

Reaction score
Yes Kijiji is pronounced like that. Owned by eBay, but charging no fees, in Ontario Canada in the past ten years it replaced newspaper classified advertising as the way to buy and sell gear.
Recently Facebook Marketplace is catching up but there are some people who don’t use fbook.

On topic my friend who has built many kits tells me a Stewart kit he restored recently sounded fantastic.
Thanks very much Kallen
These are my Star made Stewart drums
They are thin 3-ply shells with reinforcement rings 22"13" 16"
lite as a feather and sound GREAT!
they came to me in pieces as a free throw in so I had to find the resonant side hardware for the toms
P1010224.JPG

kallen49

Reaction score
Thanks very much Kallen
These are my Star made Stewart drums
They are thin 3-ply shells with reinforcement rings 22"13" 16"
lite as a feather and sound GREAT!
they came to me in pieces as a free throw in so I had to find the resonant side hardware for the toms
View attachment 405989
I discovered that the lug screw hole spacing on Stewart’s is the same as Ludwigs, when I used lugs from trashed Stewart bongos to restore a 1980’s Rocker bass drum. Way less expensive then vintage or new Ludwig parts. To quote Benny Greb from one of his very entertaining and useful clinics,
“use what you have”.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've got 17 MIJ snare drums in my collection! I've got them separated into sparkle finishes on one shelf and pearls, oysters and satin flames on the other shelf. Picture size is too small to show detail, but I may take separate pictures in the future! My 3pc Crown set is from the early 60's. Currently disassembled for polishing of all the chrome!

-Mark

Attachments

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I discovered that the lug screw hole spacing on Stewart’s is the same as Ludwigs, when I used lugs from trashed Stewart bongos to restore a 1980’s Rocker bass drum. Way less expensive then vintage or new Ludwig parts. To quote Benny Greb from one of his very entertaining and useful clinics,
“use what you have”.

Kalen, thats very interesting, but it strikes me that it would be better the other way......you could use a light Stewart shell with quality Ludwig Lugs, tension rods and rims. Great for gigging because of the light weight, no?

Man, if the Stewarts ever had the Purple Diamond Pearl Wrap, i would do this conversion in a heartbeat. I'd end up with a great color wrap, quality hardware and a light weight set.

Last edited:

Vibes

Reaction score
I ran across this Stewart set a couple years ago. 10 lug bass drum. 14"x22" 13" 16" 14" Snare. All with rerings. 60"s. They are in exceptional condition . Beautiful large flake Black Diamond Pearl. Sometimes I swear I see a purple hue to them. They sound great. I have used them on many jazz gigs, and a R&B dance gig, but with a Supraphonic. The snare is great for jazz, but not a high energy rim shot backbeat. I actually took the snare apart and wiped the inside wood down with Danish oil. That 53 year old luan appreciated it. Put new Ambassadors on it. I recommend and going to treat the other shell's. They just have a mojo about them, and fun to play. Light too. I use my Ludwig 1400 flat base cymbal stands and old Atlas single brace snare and hihat stands. They just look so retro and cool.

Attachments

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've yet to set these up, and play them, as I just got the kit about a week ago.
I posted a pic on a different thread when I got em.
1983 Tama Artstar.
A neighbor's son had them, but didn't play very long. The couple is moving to SC, and didn't have the room or want them.
I gave them a couple bucks, and they threw in a cass of cymbals, all the hardware, pedals etc....
I hear this kit sounds great, so I'll be setting them up tomorrow.
Some strange sizes, but toms go from 8 inch to 18. I've got a good deal more hardware, but those prices needed some cleaning
20190818_110010.jpg
20190818_110108.jpg

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've yet to set these up, and play them, as I just got the kit about a week ago.
I posted a pic on a different thread when I got em.
1983 Tama Artstar.
A neighbor's son had them, but didn't play very long. The couple is moving to SC, and didn't have the room or want them.
I gave them a couple bucks, and they threw in a cass of cymbals, all the hardware, pedals etc....
I hear this kit sounds great, so I'll be setting them up tomorrow.
Some strange sizes, but toms go from 8 inch to 18. I've got a good deal more hardware, but those prices needed some cleaning
View attachment 407753 View attachment 407754
"Please take these dirty old drums AND cymbals off our hands..."

:icon_e_surprised:

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"Please take these dirty old drums AND cymbals off our hands..."

:icon_e_surprised:
Pretty much. The wife was very insistent on me taking them. Too bad that doesn't happen more often.
It was a good day :) If they sound as good as I've heard, today will be another.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pretty much. The wife was very insistent on me taking them. Too bad that doesn't happen more often.
It was a good day :) If they sound as good as I've heard, today will be another.
That classic "vintage" Tama kit 'Tea...

Nothing but good stuff happening there.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to hearing it, although it's going to cost $300 to replace the heads. Well now I'm looking a gift horse in the mouth, huh?

I believe I played one in the late 80's at LI drum center, but not positive.
Hopefully it sounds as good as I've heard.
Some of the hardware does have some tarnished chrome.
Anyone have any suggestions? Hacks

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tama 80's chrome should clean up with a micro fiber cloth using dawn soap solution or Windex/glass cleaner. Worked for me for 35 yrs.

Last edited:

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the Artstar configuration. I think he forgot to give me a floor tom. These sizes are pretty strange by today's standards
I have a 20 inch floor tom, but no 18?
He had told me it was an 11 piece, including the snare. (Geez, those go for a penny, or two!)
Anyway I was organizing everything today, so I can get new heads, and realize there's only 1 giant floor tom, plus only 10 shells total.
I know the husband has an emotional attachment to these, as he son hasn't spoken to him in years. The wife was yelling at him to give me everything, but don't want to go behind his back. (I had a feeling he was holding out, but he was more than generous)
Maybe he wants to keep a tom to remember him by? Or he had places it somewhere, and when I picked up the kit, he forgot to grab it?
Idk, should I mention it to him when he gets back from SC in a few weeks? Or just let it be?
I do have the 18 hard case, so he has, or had it?
Were 20 inch floor toms common with large kits in '83?

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the Artstar configuration. I think he forgot to give me a floor tom. These sizes are pretty strange by today's standards
I have a 20 inch floor tom, but no 18?
He had told me it was an 11 piece, including the snare. (Geez, those go for a penny, or two!)
Anyway I was organizing everything today, so I can get new heads, and realize there's only 1 giant floor tom, plus only 10 shells total.
I know the husband has an emotional attachment to these, as he son hasn't spoken to him in years. The wife was yelling at him to give me everything, but don't want to go behind his back. (I had a feeling he was holding out, but he was more than generous)
Maybe he wants to keep a tom to remember him by? Or he had places it somewhere, and when I picked up the kit, he forgot to grab it?
Idk, should I mention it to him when he gets back from SC in a few weeks? Or just let it be?
I do have the 18 hard case, so he has, or had it?
Were 20 inch floor toms common with large kits in '83?
20" Floor toms weren't super common, but they were available. It was the 80s and some drummers had 16" rack toms. From how you describe it, there was an 18" at one point.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
20" Floor toms weren't super common, but they were available. It was the 80s and some drummers had 16" rack toms. From how you describe it, there was an 18" at one point.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right. The man was really hesitant about giving these away, and it wasn't because he played, or anything like that. I could tell he was emotional about giving them away. When I was grabbing the hardware, pedals, stands, etc, he "accidentally" left one of the hi hat stands in the truck, he also forgot the Camco stuff.
Would it be out of line to ask him for it? I mean if he's not a drummer, and his wife is all over him about getting rid of the gear, maybe keeping an old drum head would satisfy him?
You're right about the 16. It is a mount tom.
Some of the toms are only an inch different. Like 8,10,12,13,14,16,20, and the 2 bass drums. I haven't done anything to that snare, but wow it sounds great, all things considered. I think its Cordia, birch, bubinga?
I guess I can mount the 16 on a low stand, and have 16,20 floor toms?
The old Tama hardware is blocky, heavy, and big. It's a different world today, when it comes to drums.
He also had given me these old Pearl double pedals. Everything was made super sturdy, but they didn't have people's backs in mind when they made em.

Latest posts