MIJs - getting sucked up into collections?

Kenwood

Reaction score
Yes Kijiji is pronounced like that. Owned by eBay, but charging no fees, in Ontario Canada in the past ten years it replaced newspaper classified advertising as the way to buy and sell gear.
Recently Facebook Marketplace is catching up but there are some people who don’t use fbook.

On topic my friend who has built many kits tells me a Stewart kit he restored recently sounded fantastic.
Thanks very much Kallen
These are my Star made Stewart drums
They are thin 3-ply shells with reinforcement rings 22"13" 16"
lite as a feather and sound GREAT!
they came to me in pieces as a free throw in so I had to find the resonant side hardware for the toms
P1010224.JPG

kallen49

Reaction score
Thanks very much Kallen
These are my Star made Stewart drums
They are thin 3-ply shells with reinforcement rings 22"13" 16"
lite as a feather and sound GREAT!
they came to me in pieces as a free throw in so I had to find the resonant side hardware for the toms
View attachment 405989
I discovered that the lug screw hole spacing on Stewart’s is the same as Ludwigs, when I used lugs from trashed Stewart bongos to restore a 1980’s Rocker bass drum. Way less expensive then vintage or new Ludwig parts. To quote Benny Greb from one of his very entertaining and useful clinics,
“use what you have”.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've got 17 MIJ snare drums in my collection! I've got them separated into sparkle finishes on one shelf and pearls, oysters and satin flames on the other shelf. Picture size is too small to show detail, but I may take separate pictures in the future! My 3pc Crown set is from the early 60's. Currently disassembled for polishing of all the chrome!

-Mark

Attachments

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I discovered that the lug screw hole spacing on Stewart’s is the same as Ludwigs, when I used lugs from trashed Stewart bongos to restore a 1980’s Rocker bass drum. Way less expensive then vintage or new Ludwig parts. To quote Benny Greb from one of his very entertaining and useful clinics,
“use what you have”.

Kalen, thats very interesting, but it strikes me that it would be better the other way......you could use a light Stewart shell with quality Ludwig Lugs, tension rods and rims. Great for gigging because of the light weight, no?

Man, if the Stewarts ever had the Purple Diamond Pearl Wrap, i would do this conversion in a heartbeat. I'd end up with a great color wrap, quality hardware and a light weight set.

Last edited: