Miles on French TV with Klook

BlackPearl

Reaction score
This might be of some interest to fans of Kenny Clarke - an apparently newly discovered clip of Miles on French TV with Clarke on drums. It's from 1957, on a pretty odd TV set, but some decent views of Klooks ride cymbal and snare technique, especially after the camera pans over for Miles' solo, about 2:30 in

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Very cool. Klook had a unique left hand technique. He flipped the drumstick mostly using his thumb. It's a beautiful thing to watch.

And you can see how strong his independence was. He's laying down all those left hand accents with absolutely no variation of the ride cymbal beat. I see so many amateur jazz drummers who can't play a left hand accent without accenting on the cymbal at the same time.
Independence! It's the essence of jazz drumming. Watch and learn! :occasion5:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
MD did an excellent interview of Klook in 1984. If you can find the article, read it. Absolutely fascinating.
Klook lays it all out...the early day of Jazz, working in The Big Band era and how the whole Bop movement came around as a reaction to that.
Really interesting stuff.
So, I know Klook moved to Europe, either in the late 40's or the early 50's and was there, at least, through the 60's.
He co-led the Clarke-Bolling Big Band during that time, so I'm wondering....is this selected players from that group?
I like the whole stage setup, too.
The single hanging light behind the group and all the plastic draped over the stage.....looks like they're playing on the moon.
1957 coincides with Sputnik (I believe it was also The International Year of Science), so I'm not surprised by the "spacey" motif of the stage.
Very cool clip. Thank you for showing this to us BlackPearl. :thumbright:

Latest posts