Miller Drums? Made in Maryland in the 60's

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice drums. But are those Rogers lugs? they look a bit MIJ to me.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had some in Black Diamond Pearl. They were made in Bethesda, MD. The bass drum claws were really cool. The bass drum hoop was reverse scalloped in that it slightly stuck out from the rest of the hoop to accommodate the claw.

I had a bass and rack tom, as well as an extra "club date" style tom. I have since sold them off. They reminded me a 3 ply Ludwig in tone. I did not have the matching floor tom, and used an old Whitehall instead.

If I had the complete set I never would have sold it.

Attachments

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
I really like that lug and claw design. Very classy.

lordkoos

Reaction score
Bringing this thread back from the dead -- I have a 14" and 9" tom in silver sparkle with this logo on the lugs and I've never gotten any real info about them. I bought these because they matched a silver WFL 20" kick I had. Although they say "Miller Band Instruments" on the inside tag, apart from the lug design they are 100% identical to Ludwig drums from the same period, and I've always assumed they were made by Ludwig for Miller. The tom mounts have the Ludwig logo on them and I don't see how Miller could have sold them that way without infringing on the Ludwig trademark, so I'm assuming they were a music store chain that outsourced these drums. BTW I'm looking to sell these if anyone is interested, I will post them in the for sale area. Both toms are in excellent condition with no fade on the wraps, just a small spot of rust in a few places on the hardware. They are good sounding drums.

Attachments

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a set ready to buy when they were bought out from under me. Seller had a better offer, so not an issue for me there. Would have matched my last name though. Few of us have drums with their last name on them..

KINGTRIXON

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
After Mr. Miller died, a large portion of his lugs were purchased by Ted's Music, located on Centre Street in downtown Baltimore Maryland. I went down in the basement of this store and found boxes full of lug casings with the letter "M" stamped on them.

Ted's Music has sold a number of drum sets made up with thin, Japanese made shells and Miller lugs. Mr Miller's drums have white painted interiors with little typewritten labels on the inside.

Mr. Miller also made his own proprietary Tom-Tom holders, bass drum spurs and brackets and floor tom brackets that are similar to the Gretsch twin-post Gladstone FT brackets.

Many of his drum sets are floating around the state of Maryland.

lordkoos

Reaction score
Interesting. Although it sounds like Miller designed some of the hardware, I'm certain the shells on mine were made by Ludwig.

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a red sparkle Miller snare that I bought locally a couple of years ago. The drum is very similar to a Ludwig Jazz Fest in overall design. 8 lugs, thin rims and a simple P-83 type throw. But the shell is more like a Rogers. 5 ply shell with 5 ply re-rings. All in all, a very nice little vintage drum that didn't cost a ton of money and sounds great.