Ming Pure 5x14 Fiberglass Snare

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Coated G1 on batter and UT snare side head. Recorded with Zoom Q2 internal mics.

Last edited by a moderator:

tris66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
DanRH,

add another 'thanks' from me! Well done. Multiple tunings, with and without moongels, and some style changes... excellent!

I just picked up a early-mid '70 Pearl all fiberglass kit 22, 12, 13, 16 in 'Satin Blue' with a COB snare. I'm still in the process of getting it into shape. When I first took a peek at this thread and saw the picture of the blue snare the thought of a near matching snare got me pretty excited.

With the disclaimer that I'm only a beginning drummer (though I've been playing other instruments for decades, had built acoustic guitars for 8 years and have done many other related things take my ears out of the pure 'amateur' category) I'll add my 2 cents on fiberglass. #1 they have lots of attack. It is very immediate, though not too sharp (this might change a bit when I get new heads on.) #2 the tonal color is a bit different than any wood I've heard, though not 'cold' or 'bland.' I'd say they have a quality of their own. However, if mahogany is 'warmer/softer' and maple is 'hotter/sharper/brighter' I'd put these more towards the maple end of the spectrum.

I'm excited to see more reports and vids as you guys get your drums. I'm saving my pennies, so I can be like one of those Corvette guys and, "Wrap my a$$ in fiberglass."