Ming Pure shootout with Jenkins-Martin (JM) Blaemire Snares

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Not really a fair comparison but I figured why not. I played stock heads (Remo UT's) on the Ming and am playing a coated Evans Reverse Dot on the JM.

Sorry for my barely audible description in the video. I had to make sure I didn't overdrive the audio when I started playing.
Only using the Zoom Q2HD audio. No micing.

I did this in my drum shed using my Tama Superstar kit.

Last edited by a moderator:

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
Dan,
Thanks for doing this and sharing ! :icon_smile:

You confirmed a few of my suspicions concerning fiberglass snares having a "family sound".

I listened to this video three times on my home theater Audyssey calibrated Marantz / Kef Uni-Q surround rig before passing any judgement.

To my ears, both drums sounds so similar to my three Tempus fiberglass and Carbon Fibre drums, besides slight diffirences, that the purchase of the Ming Kevlar Carbon drum on it's way, will probalby be another one of my steady "giggers".
{Yeah pride in ownership / quality of one of Jerrys Blaemere drums has it "bennies". I do get it.}

These drums appear to have the same large tuning range, controlled rim shot, solid "pop", and great sensitivity that my Tempus snares do.

Listening to your patterns with rim shots reminds me of the sonic qualities of Buddy Rich's Fibes fiberglass snare drum on "Rich in London". :wink: IMHO

Again thanks. :icon_smile: :wink:

Iandrumz

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for doing this Dan. I listened through through some sennheiser phones and while the drums are very close there is definitely a Fiberglass sound. I prefered the JM over the ming at lower tunings but it was a close call on the mid to high tunings. The JM definitely had a bit more warmth at lower tunings but both drums sound fantastic to my ears. It would be a tough
call as to which one to take home from a store other than the Mojo that is JM.
Cheers,
Ian

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ian Anderson said:
Thanks for doing this Dan. I listened through through some sennheiser phones and while the drums are very close there is definitely a Fiberglass sound. I prefered the JM over the ming at lower tunings but it was a close call on the mid to high tunings. The JM definitely had a bit more warmth at lower tunings but both drums sound fantastic to my ears. It would be a tough
call as to which one to take home from a store other than the Mojo that is JM.
Cheers,
Ian
Could part of this be the Blaemere having the coated reverse dot, slightly darker sounding head, head on it ?

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice Video, both sound good, JM a bit fuller to me, great to hear snares/drums in action a real help when you have no other way to hear them.

Ben

Iandrumz

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Absolutely Bill. The reverse dot on the JM will help warm the drum. I have 3 Mings. Got a 5x14 (the translucent with gold hardware) then a 6x14 in blue. Based on those two drums I bought a pure kit. No regrets on any of them other than I now have two 6X14's :icon_smile:
Never having seen a blaemire let alone played one it was interesting how close they sounded. Now we just have to talk Dan into doing a side by side of the two kits :icon_smile:

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Ian Anderson said:
Absolutely Bill. The reverse dot on the JM will help warm the drum. I have 3 Mings. Got a 5x14 (the translucent with gold hardware) then a 6x14 in blue. Based on those two drums I bought a pure kit. No regrets on any of them other than I now have two 6X14's :icon_smile:
Never having seen a blaemire let alone played one it was interesting how close they sounded. Now we just have to talk Dan into doing a side by side of the two kits :icon_smile:
I could do a review on the JM kit but I don't have a MIng kit, so....

BTW, I will be getting my new JM kit soon. Can't wait! Why a new JM kit, it's a long but happy story. I have nothing my major respect for those guys.

Iandrumz

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
DanRH said:
I could do a review on the JM kit but I don't have a MIng kit, so....

BTW, I will be getting my new JM kit soon. Can't wait! Why a new JM kit, it's a long but happy story. I have nothing my major respect for those guys.
Bleen Blue :)