Mini/micro/pocket kits; whatcha got? What do you like?

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So many of these so called "pocket" kits really miss the mark when the manufacturer just lays a 16" FT on its side instead of making a true 14x16 OR 12x16 wood hoop bass drum. Heck, a 14x22 kick is gonna fit better space-wise on some really shallow stages than one of these converted floor tom kits. Plus 16x16 bass drums just look sooo wrong.

Last edited:

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So many of these so called "pocket" kits really miss the mark when the manufacturer just lays a 16" FT on its side instead of making a true 14x16 OR 12x16 wood hoop bass drum. Heck, a 14x22 kick is gonna fit better space-wise on some really shallow stages than one of these converted floor tom kits. Plus 16x16 bass drums just look sooo wrong.
It’s funny you mention that. Even on my new kit, though the bass drum has wood hoops, it could easily sub in as a floor tom. I got a nice tuning with an Evans Hydraulic and using the enclosed pillow. It’s a satisfying thump.

If I were to find the pink sparkle wrap, I would have a 20x14” made and have the 16” bass as a floor tom.

This pic taken in the rumpus room, which is being reorganized.

A75222A7-70BB-41EB-8718-E7AFA896FDDE.jpeg

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well- I got her put together. Because i knew the kit could easily be let down by the heads, my next order was in the Evans section of the website. I popped for two Black Chromes for the toms and a red hydraulic for the bass drum. The Hydraulic should be what comes standard on this bass drum. Tuned medium low with the pillow grazing the batter side with slightly tighter on the reso, it was PERFECTION. It did not sound like a 16” bass drum. I have also found that a heavier head works superbly for coaxing lower frequencies from small drums.

The toms were a bit harder, you literally need to play it for a bit to get the tuning for your ears. I really don't care about bottom heads. I am not so dense that I don’t think they are forever, either. But these were serviceable enough to provide some ring against the Black Chrome thunks. But I got a satisfactory sound in a decent amount of time.

The fun was when I threw them on the rack with my piccolo toms. I had the world’s smallest 7 piece kit LOL

The snare is reasonable. Haven’t tuned it. I am debating two things:
1) sell a nearly worthless, yet full-sized (unlike most pocket kits) snare, -or- 2) find a taller poplar shell, rob the lugs from the shell, and “make” an extra floor tom using the snare lugs to “match” like a 14x 8 or 14x 10 and have it painted to match. Bum Wraps can match the color, but the lack of sparkle is a deal killer.

Last edited:

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Okay, so I have been playing it with three piccolo toms, a 26” Giant Beat, a 20” 900 Heavy crash and an 18” Signature Precisions China. I certainly picked right using a Hydraulic on the bass drum! You’d never know ANY difference. Poplar is supposed to be birch like but softer. Put Hydraulics or Black Chromes on these drums and you would think they were a few inches BIGGER. Add to that my Piccolo toms and a chopped Octoban, I can have a LOT of sounds in a small footprint. Mic these puppies up and use an Earthworks Kick Pad or a trigger to augment, and you can hang with dimed Marshalls (provided you’re mic’d). My now 7 piece only takes up room because of the floor racks! And I can get all of this on one cart ride for load in!
Now all I need to do is develop a few chops once again!

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Since the concert toms fell through, I have decided the pocket kit could be where I go. Technically, I have a kit that would kit in a cymbal case, but I think those drums would do better as add-on effect drums. My choices are as follows: Sonor AQX, Sonor AW2, Pearl Midtown, Ludwig Questlove, Pdp New Yorker, Tama; what is the consensus?

The Pearl is out because 2/3 reviews mention the wrap bubbling, unless someone can tell me something redeeming about them over the bubbled wrap. I have read mixed reviews about non-German Sonor. Tama seems to always have a winner no matter what price point, and PDP is DW junior.

But not knowing bunches about the mini kit segment, this is where I ask your likes, dislikes, and flat out values and rip offs.
I don’t own the Ludwig Breakbeats set, but, I’ve played one and was surprised how good it sounded for such an inexpensive set, even the matching snare. Tuned up easily and nicely. All poplar, iirc.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don’t own the Ludwig Breakbeats set, but, I’ve played one and was surprised how good it sounded for such an inexpensive set, even the matching snare. Tuned up easily and nicely. All poplar, iirc.
What the difference is when these kits are designed to do this, the correct head combo is CRITICAL. Pinstripes would do well on these, just as the Black Chromes (essentially a Hydraulic without the drop of oil) allow a low tuning so it doesn’t sound like a toy set of drums. My gimmick may be buying another set, and turning these into the world’s smallest big kit LOL

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found a 10” Fibes Tom today so I can put together a micro kit without robbing my 10” from “real” kit ....

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I may just turn this into the Terry Bozzio kit for people my size (short’n’Dumpy)!

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Found the second floor tom, which is a PDP Spectrum. It uses the same badge shape and wood composition; just painted rather than covered. Certainly someone could get it painted to match. It has the same badge shape and same lugs.

I may end up with the largest tiny kit LOL

Last edited:

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
^^ the number of brands getting drums or parts from Taiwan might surprise people.
I looked into Taiwan to manufacture my bicycles and it was not going to save ANY money, and that was BEFORE freight. They also respect patent laws there, as well.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sucks to hear you were disappointed by them. I’ve played a few at stores and a buddies and thought they were great.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have the Premier Heritage Club kit from the early 2000s. 8x20 kick which sounds huge, 6x10 tom(boxy and not my favorite), 13"ft, 6x13" snare that is far and away the greatest brush backbeat snare I have played. I augmented the kit with 10" and 12" racks and a 14" floor(all Premier Artist Birch in matching Silver Sparkle). You never see these for sale, and I know why. Had Premier pushed these, they would have sold a ton.

Dan

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
I have a Purecussion kit (like Flats). The kick sounds massive w/ a mic.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a Manu Hipgig. Liked it a lot. Just wanted more of a bass drum. Took orphans I had, and built the set I wanted. Same toms, 10/13, but a 20” bass. The 14" deep bass takes less room then the 16 x 16 did. The depth is what takes the room up on stage.
B1664F56-60B2-4890-9C59-ECF1165626DF.jpeg

Last edited:

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score