Mini/micro/pocket kits; whatcha got? What do you like?

Fibes

Reaction score
Relative to quality, it's a distinction without a difference.

edit: My sentiments in regards to this post/my reply are that I simply want to buy a USA kit if at all possible. I know that most companies are at best "Assembled in USA." That's why I always gravitate to vintage USA kits. At least the majority were done by USA employees.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
edit: My sentiments in regards to this post/my reply are that I simply want to buy a USA kit if at all possible. I know that most companies are at best "Assembled in USA." That's why I always gravitate to vintage USA kits. At least the majority were done by USA employees.
Nothing wrong with that. It’s your choice and you are certainly free to exercise that freedom!

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes- a floor tom is an awesome, but not overpowering woofer for a DW pancake bass drum. Want more off from your mini kit? Run it with a DW pancake bass drum behind it. People will think you’re playing a 22 or even 24”. I really didn’t think it was that powerful until an a/b comparison.

Redfern

Reaction score
My new Ludwig micro kit...13t/14ft/16bd...date stamped 9/41, 6/41 & 10/39 from Winship & Sons Music House in Spokane, WA.
Obviously these were mounted toms and a 16” marching snare, but they are just awesome fun to play and sound amazing.

Attachments

halldorl

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tama Silverstar birch kit. 20x10” 12x6” 14x10” The bass drum is killer and an overall great litle kit.

Stay away from the Ludwig Breakbeat. Edges are a mess (unless you want to spend money on having new edges cut). Had new edges cut on a friends kit but it was difficult since the wood was so soft it splintered. Very difficult to get a decent sound from.

BD69808F-3A7A-4CC1-AC15-7D7DC2F4AA0F.jpeg

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tama Silverstar birch kit. 20x10” 12x6” 14x10” The bass drum is killer and an overall great litle kit.

Stay away from the Ludwig Breakbeat. Edges are a mess (unless you want to spend money on having new edges cut). Had new edges cut on a friends kit but it was difficult since the wood was so soft it splintered. Very difficult to get a decent sound from.

View attachment 493522
These are great, but very hard to come by in the US.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
well it's a micro set to me , so gfy ....
You can call it whatever you want. 20” bass drums are fine here! My personal limit WAS 16”, but I have a 20” with a 16” stuffed in there.

Asher

Reaction score
Since the concert toms fell through, I have decided the pocket kit could be where I go. Technically, I have a kit that would kit in a cymbal case, but I think those drums would do better as add-on effect drums. My choices are as follows: Sonor AQX, Sonor AW2, Pearl Midtown, Ludwig Questlove, Pdp New Yorker, Tama; what is the consensus?

The Pearl is out because 2/3 reviews mention the wrap bubbling, unless someone can tell me something redeeming about them over the bubbled wrap. I have read mixed reviews about non-German Sonor. Tama seems to always have a winner no matter what price point, and PDP is DW junior.

But not knowing bunches about the mini kit segment, this is where I ask your likes, dislikes, and flat out values and rip offs.
I picked up an 18x8 Tempus kick years back, which sounds great, and I used it with some cheap mismatched toms for a while. I can fit kick and snare into one bag, plus a hardware bag and cymbal bag. I'm thinking of grabbing the Pearl Compact Traveler add-on toms, which would make this a pretty usable and very compact complete kit.

dingaling

Reaction score
Just got the Inde parts to put this micro Ludwig together. Needs some coated heads and going to get the edges redone, they aren’t quite even. But still sounds very Ludwig.
12x8, 14x10 (not shown), 16x10BD.

Attachments

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just got the Inde parts to put this micro Ludwig together. Needs some coated heads and going to get the edges redone, they aren’t quite even. But still sounds very Ludwig.
12x8, 14x10 (not shown), 16x10BD.
I got some black 16 kick hoops metal on my reverb.

flatwins

Reaction score
I just picked up one of these to play around with for a few weeks before I pass it off to the grandkids. Bought it secondhand along with the expansion pack (a 20” bass which then allows the 14” bass to be converted to a floor tom) for less than half price. I really like the concept of small kits but basses under 18” are a real challenge to get a decent sound from, at least for me.
E8BAAC39-DBAF-4A8F-9BDD-702DB9F99DD9.jpeg

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have owned a number of different option Travel style kits and will comment on a few below :
Yamaha Hip Gig - the idea is great , they weigh a ton abs it is very difficult to get things where I wanted them . The canister throne is a torture device (terrible seat top )

Premier Heritage Club - this is a great sounding kit . I personally think the 8” deep 20” bass drum is two inches too shallow. Porting the resonant head helps with slap back .

FLATS kit - the included rack is heavy and not very portable . The Toms sound ok , bass is terrible as is the snare . Avoid this .

Whitney Nesting Penguin - by far the best nesting kit made today . Sounds fantastic and all the drums nester in the included padded AHead bag weigh less than 35 lbs . The included Quickframe is brilliant . The looks of the drums are very polarizing .

Wells Custom Drums nesting kit - quality of build is decent , it weighed a lot nested and it sounded just ok .

TRS Custom drums travel kit (20 x 12 bass ; 12 x 7 rack and 15 x 12 floor ) not really that portable , sounded great but more like a regular kit than a portable one .

Sonor AQ2 Safari kit - surprisingly big sounding small kit ! It can be very portable with a 16” bag for the bass drum and having Fred Beato make a Combo bag for the Toms and snare . It is very well priced . I love the cymbal arm on the bass drum too (one less stand).

I have now (as previously posted ) gone with a Steambent flame maple Travek kit from Gary Posey - the bass drum is 20 x 10 and ai have a bag on order with Beato bags . The two short stack wood hoop time fit into a dual snare bag that Beato made me . This gives me the combination of portability and great sound and looks .

dingaling

Reaction score
C&C Super Flyer 22x8 - 16x6 - 12x6

View attachment 494930
Darn it. Now I want wood hoops all around after seeing this! Lol

This was supposed to be a cheap fun side project but after the shells, parts, and heads, I went in a little deeper then planned. The wood hoops upgrade would put me a bit over the top, but maybe still worth it.

I’d love a 20x8 Ludwig bass drum to add on too.