Mini/micro/pocket kits; whatcha got? What do you like?

Fibes

Reaction score
Relative to quality, it's a distinction without a difference.

edit: My sentiments in regards to this post/my reply are that I simply want to buy a USA kit if at all possible. I know that most companies are at best "Assembled in USA." That's why I always gravitate to vintage USA kits. At least the majority were done by USA employees.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
edit: My sentiments in regards to this post/my reply are that I simply want to buy a USA kit if at all possible. I know that most companies are at best "Assembled in USA." That's why I always gravitate to vintage USA kits. At least the majority were done by USA employees.
Nothing wrong with that. It’s your choice and you are certainly free to exercise that freedom!

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes- a floor tom is an awesome, but not overpowering woofer for a DW pancake bass drum. Want more off from your mini kit? Run it with a DW pancake bass drum behind it. People will think you’re playing a 22 or even 24”. I really didn’t think it was that powerful until an a/b comparison.

Redfern

Reaction score
My new Ludwig micro kit...13t/14ft/16bd...date stamped 9/41, 6/41 & 10/39 from Winship & Sons Music House in Spokane, WA.
Obviously these were mounted toms and a 16” marching snare, but they are just awesome fun to play and sound amazing.

Attachments

halldorl

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tama Silverstar birch kit. 20x10” 12x6” 14x10” The bass drum is killer and an overall great litle kit.

Stay away from the Ludwig Breakbeat. Edges are a mess (unless you want to spend money on having new edges cut). Had new edges cut on a friends kit but it was difficult since the wood was so soft it splintered. Very difficult to get a decent sound from.

BD69808F-3A7A-4CC1-AC15-7D7DC2F4AA0F.jpeg

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tama Silverstar birch kit. 20x10” 12x6” 14x10” The bass drum is killer and an overall great litle kit.

Stay away from the Ludwig Breakbeat. Edges are a mess (unless you want to spend money on having new edges cut). Had new edges cut on a friends kit but it was difficult since the wood was so soft it splintered. Very difficult to get a decent sound from.

View attachment 493522
These are great, but very hard to come by in the US.

Asher

Reaction score
Since the concert toms fell through, I have decided the pocket kit could be where I go. Technically, I have a kit that would kit in a cymbal case, but I think those drums would do better as add-on effect drums. My choices are as follows: Sonor AQX, Sonor AW2, Pearl Midtown, Ludwig Questlove, Pdp New Yorker, Tama; what is the consensus?

The Pearl is out because 2/3 reviews mention the wrap bubbling, unless someone can tell me something redeeming about them over the bubbled wrap. I have read mixed reviews about non-German Sonor. Tama seems to always have a winner no matter what price point, and PDP is DW junior.

But not knowing bunches about the mini kit segment, this is where I ask your likes, dislikes, and flat out values and rip offs.
I picked up an 18x8 Tempus kick years back, which sounds great, and I used it with some cheap mismatched toms for a while. I can fit kick and snare into one bag, plus a hardware bag and cymbal bag. I'm thinking of grabbing the Pearl Compact Traveler add-on toms, which would make this a pretty usable and very compact complete kit.