Mint Rogers Holiday Gold Sparkle...Almost

OttawaDrumGuy

Reaction score
This beautiful 1968 Rogers Holiday 22" bass drum in gold sparkle popped up at the local drum shop the other day at a good price, and I just couldn't resist, even though it meant breaking two of my main rules for buying drums:
  • No orphans
  • No extra holes
The drum is in amazing shape for being 50+ years old - the hoops look brand new, the wrap is tight and vibrant, and the chrome is nearly perfect.

Sadly, a previous owner installed a Pearl OptiMount, which mostly covers the holes left from an earlier Ludwig diamond mount. Ugh. I haven't peeked under the mount yet to see how big the scar is - I'm open to suggestions, but I think the most likely option is I'll remove the Pearl mount and cover it with a masking plate.

In the meantime, I'm keeping my eyes open for a couple of Rogers gold sparkle toms to complete the set.

DSC_0911.JPG DSC_0905.JPG DSC_0918.JPG

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just beautiful! It's incredibly rare to find gold sparkle that hasn't faded. I believe that Rogers was using a crushed glass glitter, is that correct? Yes, it really is too bad about the Pearl mount. Still, back in the day, we did what we had to do to make our drums better suited to our needs. Best of luck tracking down your gold sparkle toms!

-Mark

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
The wrap looks really nice on this. I like original as well. But sometimes we have to sacrifice a bit when we run across something at a nice deal.

Mike

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
Nice score! You could use a dead cymbal to fashion a cover for the mounting hole damage. I’ve seen someone that covered up some damage on an Oaklawn WMP Camco that way and it looks pretty slick.