Misidentified Large Stamp as Trans Stamp?

Z

zenstat

I'm very sure this is a Large Stamp with the 3 dots which was misidentified as a Trans Stamp (and as a Crash at that weight). It's obviously not a Trans Stamp. Is it a Large Stamp?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331271156621

I figure the stamp is Large (> 1.75") by comparing the distance from the rivet holes to the edge (2" thanks to the ruler in one photo) with the distance from the rivet hole (way over on the right and just visible in the stamp photo) to the edge in the closeup of the stamp. Anybody else?

Note you are also treated to an astoundingly bad sound file. :pukeright:

The pics for posterity

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
lately I think there has been more misidentified trans stamps and blocks stamps on ebay than genuine ones.

mike

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah it seems to me that many sellers have just kind of scanned what other vintage cymbal ads say and copied it, without regard for whether the words make any sense in their own ad.

Z

zenstat

It seems like it to me as well, but then I haven't been monitoring and recording these long enough to say what it used to be like. So of course I can't really say the frequency of mis-identifications has changed...

Alas there are no philatelic police to pursue the perpetrators. :cool:

Do either of you agree with my size assessment? I've added the pics into the thread having archived them on my web site, but you may have to scroll right to see the one rivet hole which appears way over in the stamp close up.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think you're 100% correct, Zen. Even given that the stamp is going to appear larger due to the perspective of the photo, it looks about right. I've owned three of these three dot large stamps, and the stamp appearance looks correct (the shallow impression through ZILDJIAN).

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
i agree with your assessment of the size. nice work too.

mike

Z

zenstat

Thanks guys.

When I collect data for my price database I have to do two classifications in situations like this: what the seller may claim, and what the person buying it may believe. Misidentifications are tricky because the price the buyer is willing to pay is based on their belief about what it is, not what it really is...and their belief about what it is may come from the seller's incorrect wording. Unless the buyer is sophisticated and knows more than the seller. A couple of guys got the Nobel Prize in Economics for studying how markets work in the presence of this kind of "information asymmetry" so who am I to try and get to the bottom of it? :happy11:

I'm finding data entry takes some time because I have to examine every auction in detail to make sure the cymbal isn't mis-identified. Which takes us back to the complaint that sellers sometimes just copy text from another auction or add "Trans" or "Vintage" or "50s" as if they are keywords you add get more eyeballs looking at the ad. Grumble. Mumble.