Misinformed Reverb Listers

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
I am amazed at how misinformed some Reverb listers are at times. They believe they have the holy grail. Case in point, this guy is listing a 1969 kit, 13,16, 24 and is using the words Ringo and Bonham and asking $7665 plus $399 shipping.

The sizes are wrong, the finish is a late BOP(not Ringo’s), it includes a Monroe floor Tom, cymbals and a dub kick, but $7665? Caveat emptor!

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
:scratch: Ringo Bonham?

I've heard of Ringo Star and I've heard of John Bonham......

Did someone conduct a genetic experiment and not tell the drumming world :laughing5::laughing5::laughing5::laughing5::laughing5::laughing5::laughing5::laughing5::laughing5::laughing5::laughing5::laughing5::laughing5::laughing5::laughing5::laughing5::laughing5::laughing5::laughing5::laughing5:

O

Ox Han

Some sellers are older and heard 25 years ago that people were searching for these “rare kits”. Despite the Information Age changing that situation those folks are still clinging to that notion.

What I’ve noticed recently are sellers on Reverb trying to bundle gear, which if purchased new, would be nearly the same price. Case in point below. I added up all that gear at SW and I think the difference was $150 including tax and cost of shipping.

EDIT: I just checked and SW is $2805 w/free shipping and that seller wants $2700 + $100 for shipping. Both will add my states sales tax. Considering SW offers two year warranty, the possibility to return if I don’t like it, and also the potential for SW to knock a couple bucks off each piece, who would pay that price from that reverb seller?

Last edited by a moderator:

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
That same guy is selling this Ludwig snare for five grand. What y’all think about that?
Good catch. Didn’t see it was the same guy. He’s the guy that walks into Pawn Stars and thinks he’s got a priceless treasure only to be humbled.

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good catch. Didn’t see it was the same guy. He’s the guy that walks into Pawn Stars and thinks he’s got a priceless treasure only to be humbled.
Or the type of guy who doesn’t know what being humbled means and still thinks he’s right and everybody else is wrong. lol

T_Weaves

Reaction score
Personals ad

Wanted: Good looker and a cooker. Must have boat. Send pictures............of boat.

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Every ad on Reverb has a, "Report Listing to Reverb", link on the left side of each ad page. It is listed below the 'Product Specs, and 'Reviews of shop'. It's an easy form, no questions asked...you just click an option why you are reporting the listing. "Misleading fraudulent information', I believe is the option...just click and it goes back to Reverb where it is looked into

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
Every ad on Reverb has a, "Report Listing to Reverb", link on the left side of each ad page. It is listed below the 'Product Specs, and 'Reviews of shop'. It's an easy form, no questions asked...you just click an option why you are reporting the listing. "Misleading fraudulent information', I believe is the option...just click and it goes back to Reverb where it is looked into
Thank you. I have done it where it was truly fraud. This one is just as Forrest Gump said, “Stupid is, stupid does”

robthedrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am amazed at how misinformed some Reverb listers are at times. They believe they have the holy grail. Case in point, this guy is listing a 1969 kit, 13,16, 24 and is using the words Ringo and Bonham and asking $7665 plus $399 shipping.

The sizes are wrong, the finish is a late BOP(not Ringo’s), it includes a Monroe floor Tom, cymbals and a dub kick, but $7665? Caveat emptor!

Looking at our current state of erroneous conspiracy theories out there regurgitated by some (not all) 'news' outlets just proves that there are a LOT of suckers out there.

Dave, I bought my Craviotto kit from you at a fair price and I don't intend on ever selling it until I can't play anymore, but if someone wants to give me 20K for it? Lol, well, they might just have a deal. I'd smile and say that I was hoping to get 25K for it, but for them...

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ever post something on Craigslist? You’ll get 1,000 responses from “experts” claiming the price is way too high.
Or someone in Nigeria, that for some reason, can't make it home to pay in person. They will send a check for you to hold, and the offer is usually double what your asking...'and please deposit the funds soon'

O

Ox Han

Asking for a ridiculous amount money doesn’t go against reverb rules at least not that I’m aware. Using famous drummers to market a kit isn’t really misleading either. The seller is just going to sit on that listing until they drop the price...by more than 75%....and lower that absurd shipping rate

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Everybody is misinformed if they don't agree with you, lol.

But really it's everywhere..$300 for an 80's Acrolite on Facebook marketplace? Lol. Acrolites are the opposite of rare. $1,400 listing for a 70's Slingerland with tons of extra holes in the bass & a converted marching snare for a floor tom that's eventually going to sell for $650 or 700? Sometimes I pipe up, but mostly I keep scrolling & sigh a little bit

Everybody wants Steve Maxwell prices or higher, but it just ain't happening unless you luck into an especially hungry or gullible customer with $ to burn.

I have a good feel for what gear goes for generally. I work in a pretty musician friendly shop that wants drummers to have killer gear that they love, sometimes in spite of our profit margin.

I'm cool with capitalism & market prices, but I have no interest in a crappy deal for a fellow drummer.

I guess there's nothing wrong with fishing, but I have to sleep & feel good about what I'm doing. I dunno, maybe that's an old fashioned approach.

Last edited:

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
Looking at our current state of erroneous conspiracy theories out there regurgitated by some (not all) 'news' outlets just proves that there are a LOT of suckers out there.

Dave, I bought my Craviotto kit from you at a fair price and I don't intend on ever selling it until I can't play anymore, but if someone wants to give me 20K for it? Lol, well, they might just have a deal. I'd smile and say that I was hoping to get 25K for it, but for them...
Sell it back to me Rob before you do that!! Lol.
How are they working for you?