Mismatched Hardware

Rufus T Firefly

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So how do guys feel about matching (or not) hardware?

I'm the kind of guy that usually likes everything to match in most aspects of my life, however, I have accumulated so much hardware over the decades that I just don't at all mind that the hardware on my kits doesn't match.

On my Brady kit I have the following hardware brands:
Ludwig
Pearl
Tama
Gibraltor
DW
Slingerland
Roc & Soc
LP
& a number of unknown brands of cymbal arms, clamps etc.
There are seven stands on the floor (not including snare stand) holding up 6 rack toms, standard hi-hat, remote hi-hat and 11 splash, crash & ride cymbals.

On my Slingerland kit I have the following hardware brands:
Slingerland
Rogers
Pearl
Tama
DW
Remo
Gibraltor
Canopus
Yamaha

And it all looks just fine to me.
How bout you all??

jsp210

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
No strong impulse at all to worry about matching hardware or cymbal brands for that matter, for each setup. Functionality over form most of the time. Form and function do align for me with the Axis stuff I usually gig with. Super lightweight and the only hardware that has ever elicited praise from drummers and non-drummers alike for the way they look. Must have had a dozen or so comments over time about how nice they look but that truly doesn't enter in my thought process concerning my hardware selections.

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mix of Gibraltar and Pearl hardware, PDP throne which I really don't like.

Close enough, some things ping my OCD nerve, this doesn't.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
For the most part mixing hardware ( or cymbal brands) does not bother me. I do like my cymbal stands to be "similar". I wouldn't really want a mix of, say, flat based stands and tripod based stands, but if I have one DW flat based stand mixed in with three Ludwig ones, that doesn't concern me. Snare stand and hi-hat stand are different animals so it really doesn't matter what they are since they have nothing else to match to. Generally I'll use the lightest stands that will work for whatever the gig requires (heavier stuff comes out for outdoor gigs on a breezy day) and kind of stick in that realm.

squidart

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same. Don't really care much. The mixed brand cymbals don't seem to care either!
I have quite a few frankenstands that work just dandy.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a mix of hardware brands but, as someone posted above, they are all similar in style. Pearl, Yamaha, Mapex, DW, Tama. However, I don’t usually mix cymbal brands.

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
total mish-mash of cymbals AND hardware here...

Although I seem to gravitate to Pearl, Tama, Mapex for hardware... whatever is cheap and lightweight.

I do insist on the TAMA el cheapo HP30 bass pedal... best inexpensive pedal you can buy IMHO. Got three of 'em now (I better buy another one today...hmmmm). I bought one of them for $15! It seems to have the perfect cam shaped sprocket, the adjustable beater angle,and is tough and lightweight.

On a side note, DW now has a gold plated snare stand for $700.

kqmyxdmgvwut9yd2kdsv.jpg

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as the hardware is good quality, I really don’t care. I have a DW kit with Pearl Icon rack, DW pedals, and a mix of Pearl/DW cymbal arms. There are some random Gibraltar parts mixed in as well.

It can be nice having the same brand/series of stands because then all the tubing fits everything. A lot of the key screws and wing nuts can be interchangeable as well.

I will say this, nobody except for you is ever going to notice...

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have gravitated to all Tama hardware (Speed cobra pedal and usually the lightweight Classic hi hat, snare and cymbal stands) but sometimes the single brace stagemaster stands. My tom bass drum tom mount is a Tama too that I also use a Tama boom cymbal arm on.
I used a low end Tama throne with a better seat for a long time, but recently got a Gibraltar throne.

I'm really bugged by all the different wing nuts and wing screws on my set though. 1 of my floor tom leg mounts has a different wing nut, one of the wing screws on my spur mount is different than the other (one stripped), the bass mount for the tom holder has an unmatching one as does the wing nut on the small tom mount. One day I'm going to make them all uniform. One day. This is what I'm thinking about during Tennessee Whiskey or Mustang Sally for the umpteenth time...

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, I do like all of my hardware to "match" ........ but in terms of functionality, and to a certain extent, lack of weight!

The brand of piece is irrelevant to me ..... and I make a lot of my own stuff, especially to solve a specific problem.

Here's the top of my Gretsch 16" bass drum (cut down floor tom) with a mixture of INDe lugs and tilter clamps, Tama tilter clamp, and my own "arch mount" and toothless cymbal tilter.

E97E84B3-1B4B-43A1-BFE9-4C929D404A9F.jpeg

I'd probably be a much better player if I didn't get so much satisfaction out of making and assembling collections of stuff like this! Takes a heck of a lot of time ........

Mike

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I try to keep it mostly the same, but it does get mixed and it doesn't bother me one bit. I mix components on my rack setup because I like a particular part better. I have Ayotte ball mounts on my DW rack because I cant't postion the DW ones where I'd like them. I use the DW ball mounts to fly toms off of Tama Road Pro stands on my other kits). My DW floating Snare arm uses a Yamaha basket because it's far easier to adjust. Cymbal booms get swapped a lot too.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

I'm the kind of guy that usually likes everything to match in most aspects of my life, however, I have accumulated so much hardware over the decades that I just don't at all mind that the hardware on my kits doesn't match.

On my Brady kit I have the following hardware brands:
Ludwig
Pearl
Tama
Gibraltor
DW
Slingerland
Roc & Soc
LP
There are seven stands on the floor (not including snare stand) holding up 6 rack toms, standard hi-hat, remote hi-hat and 11 splash, crash & ride cymbals.

On my Slingerland kit I have the following hardware brands:
Slingerland
Rogers
Pearl
Tama
DW
Remo
Gibraltor
Canopus
Yamaha

And it all looks just fine to me.
How bout you all??
You use what works best for you.