Mismatched Hardware

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
it's ok to use mixed hardware , never put them in you trap case together
the mixing of different metals will cause cold flow

Neilrush88

Reaction score
Mix in general, Pearl cymbals and snare stand. Throne, hihat stand and double pedal Tama. Mix in clamps and arms (most Gibraltar).

hsosdrum

Reaction score
When I was a road warrior in the '70s my hardware was a total hodgepodge — I used whatever I could find and afford that worked, and I even had a few "Frankenstands" with parts from various brands. I wound up using two different brand bass drum pedals (Camco and Slingerland) because I never had enough money to buy two matching pedals together. When you're young, poor, and on the road you do what you have to so "the show must go on".

When I bought my new Ludwig Legacy Maple kit in 2013 I was old, employed, cranky, and only playing drums for my own enjoyment, so I could indulge my desire for order and get matching hardware. Since the hardware I had on hand (Pearl/Yamaha/DW) was over 20 years old and in rough shape I replaced it all:
  • Ludwig Rocker tom holders with Classic tom brackets (none of this suspension mount BS)
  • Ludwig Atlas Classic flat-base cymbal stands (light weight but plenty sturdy)
  • Ludwig Atlas Pro snare stand (I like a heavy snare stand so the drum doesn't "dance-around" on smooth surfaces)
  • DW 9000 pedals (the perfect pedal for me)
  • Tama First-Chair "Ergo-Rider" throne (the older you get the more you pamper your butt)
  • DW 5500 hi-hat (the only previously-used hardware item I carried over)
Everything works like a charm; I couldn't be happier with all of my hardware.

Rufus T Firefly

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was a road warrior in the '70s my hardware was a total hodgepodge — I used whatever I could find and afford that worked, and I even had a few "Frankenstands" with parts from various brands. I wound up using two different brand bass drum pedals (Camco and Slingerland) because I never had enough money to buy two matching pedals together. When you're young, poor, and on the road you do what you have to so "the show must go on".

When I bought my new Ludwig Legacy Maple kit in 2013 I was old, employed, cranky, and only playing drums for my own enjoyment, so I could indulge my desire for order and get matching hardware. Since the hardware I had on hand (Pearl/Yamaha/DW) was over 20 years old and in rough shape I replaced it all:
  • Ludwig Rocker tom holders with Classic tom brackets (none of this suspension mount BS)
  • Ludwig Atlas Classic flat-base cymbal stands (light weight but plenty sturdy)
  • Ludwig Atlas Pro snare stand (I like a heavy snare stand so the drum doesn't "dance-around" on smooth surfaces)
  • DW 9000 pedals (the perfect pedal for me)
  • Tama First-Chair "Ergo-Rider" throne (the older you get the more you pamper your butt)
  • DW 5500 hi-hat (the only previously-used hardware item I carried over)
Everything works like a charm; I couldn't be happier with all of my hardware.
I’m with you on the DW pedals. I use DW 5000 dbl bass pedals, a DW 3000 hi-hat and a DW 9000 remote hi-hat. I love them all. So at least my pedals match (brand wise anyway)

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent more then the first Half of my drumming career with mis matched hardware, drove me crazy!
When I finally could afford it I laid out the cash for all new dw 9000 hardware, throne to cymbal stands, great stuff but then I got older and it is heavy.
So now I’m going for the 6500 lightweight stuff.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tama stands, pearl pedals,ocp throne bass with tama seat with automatically inflatable woopee coushion, pearl tom mounts on 18 and 20 toms,danmar red beaters.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am in the "like to match" club and all mine do (all kits are outfitted with either Tama or Gibraltar hardware) but it does not really bother me when something else finds it's way in.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I used to care but now it's what works best (or what I can get inexpensively that works well). Early 2000's Ludwig flat base cymbal stands, newer Gibraltar flat base snare stand, single braced Yamaha hi hat, Gibraltar ride cymbal L-arm, Pork Pie throne. In my "studio" I have Sakae flat based cymbal stands and Ludwig flat based snare stand from the 60's and a modern Ludwig hi hat. Speed King no matter which setup.

Deafmoon

Reaction score
Don’t sweat it. In the early 70’s the older drummers used to tell me to go seek out a Luddy bass, Gretsch Rack, Rogers Floor and Slingerland Krupa Brass snare; these they would say have the very best tonal sounds on the market. I never did get that mix, but hey who says one brand makes everything perfect? Same with hardware. Mix is okay. I go with a mix if Ahead, Gibraltar, Pearl, Tama and even Taye! All good.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Matching or not, the pipes don't have to sound good so I don't really care. I have (or had) most of the major brands of hardware doing the job of holding up the kit. A lot of it is Frankenstein-ed through experimenting, and it works.

BUT - I got a Yamaha cymbal stand last year that made me want to make everything Yamaha. The quality level just feels higher than the rest. dw is the runner up. I can easily imagine getting all Yamaha for cymbal stands and I probably will eventually.

Apart from the bass pedal, which usually deserves a thread of its own, only the hi-hat stand is actually played and performed and I haven't stepped too far from dw all these years.

angus

Reaction score
When it comes to hardware I have always gone with whatever is my personal view of “best of breed” (emphasis on personal view as this is rarely subjective of course).

In my current setup that’s as follows:

Tama IC hi-hat
Sonor Perfect Balance BD pedal
Pearl Icon drum rack
Pearl Tom arms
Yamaha cymbal holders
Yamaha snare stand
Tama throne