Mismatched kits can be cool

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here is a look at what I've been jamming on lately. My restored Camco kit and my Ludwig Jazz Festival snare that I made myself and a beautiful sky blue pearl 16" floor tom that I purchased from a great member right here on DFO.
IMG_20200209_185047.jpg

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Only on one kit out of 9 have I ever played a snare that matched the rest of the kit in brand/model ..... to me they were the weakest part of any kit I bought that had a snare with it.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to think everything should match but now a days I dont care.

Drm1979

Reaction score
My toms and bass match they're pulse percussion from 2000, but that's it. I replaced the stock snare with a pearl piccolo. My hihat stand is an old pearl, the bass pedal is dw and my cymbals are a combo of meinl and zildjian. And my crash cymbal stands are some unknown brand from a 100 years ago but they work.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I never completely put it together, but here's the core of my "Jellybean" kit....

DSCN2215.JPG

...in this form, I've got a 22x16 bass drum cut in half (S series?), a 15x12 6 ply Ludwig marcher converted to a floor tom, a pristine 13x9 70's Pearl tom and a 14x5.5 Premier Cabria snare drum.
I'll have to get an assembled pic showing all 5 pieces....FWIW, I've ditched these toms for others that work together better.
New pics soon.

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
...oh yeah, almost forgot. Back in the days when all I had were the Ludwigs and The Second Kit (kit seen above), I decided to put them together for a while....

DSCN2305.JPG
DSCN2442.JPG

So what we have here is a Ludwig 18x14 with a generic 22x8 woofer in front of it. Then, going from right to left, Ludwig 10x8, Pearl 13x9, Ludwig 14x14 and finally, Ludwig 15x12.
Top pic features the 13x3 Ludwig snare drum.
Bottom pic features the 14x5.5 Premier snare drum.
Pretty fun setup.

Elvis

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love mis-matched kits.

View attachment 427182

Keep that up and audiences will begin seeing kits that match as weird..
that lower one is particularly stunning

can you duplicate that
that one wins
1st one I've seen that looks better than a matching set in a long time
maybe it's the setting
next to the Christmas lights
nope. that's just a stunner.

Last edited:

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like them so much that I fully intend on buying my next kit in a "jelly bean" format. I think its perfect for gigging because it creates a conversation piece around something that no one usually cares about.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One of these things is not like the others.

Johnny K Bop Kit.jpg

No Sir I dont Like it.jpg

I'm hoping the previous owner finds the 12" rack tom. SOON!

The Catalina Club kit is a new aquisistion. The 10" rack tom is one I am not using from my 7 pc Catalina Maple kit.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
If it's good enough for my man, Bill Stewart, it works for me! I think these are Gretsch but just different colors, though.....

BillS.jpg

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I found a Gretsch RB progressive jazz set a while back and I'm thinking of adding a 16x16 floor tom. Not that I'd use it all the time, but it gives me some options. There is small likelihood of finding a matching FT in burgundy sparkle so I'll take just about anything that is going to be reasonably priced in my mind.

Latest posts