Mitch Mitchell Drum Kits History, Photos??

donnbennett

Reaction score
I'm looking for photos and info about Mitch Mitchell's Silver Sparkle or Champagne Sparkle Ludwig sets that he played with Jimi Hendrix. Who is the best Mitch Mitchell historian? Does anyone know the timeline about which sets Mitch used with Jimi Hendrix?

VintageDrummer

DFO Master
Reaction score
I can recall from photos and videos the silver Ludwig set you mentioned and then the Premier with the 14x8 rack Tom and also the Gretsch black kit later on towards the end..

Didn't Steve Maxwell just have a black Ludwig kit from Mitch Mitchell that went up for sale a while back?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Google: "mitch mitchell ludwig hendrix" and look under images - there are many with a silver kit that looks 13/16/22 and some pics are even in color!

donnbennett

Reaction score
JazzDrumGuy said:
Google: "mitch mitchell ludwig hendrix" and look under images - there are many with a silver kit that looks 13/16/22 and some pics are even in color!
I'm trying to find pics of him playing a Champagne Sparkle set. I know I've seen them but can't find any now. I don't think he played them very long and he probaly just used them in Europe. The silver sparkle set I'm trying to find photos of has an old clip/diamond shaped WFL tom mount. At this point I'm thinking he never used this set with Hendrix.

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A 1-up 2-down black Gretsch he had in early 1970, in the interim period between the black panther Ludwigs and the double bass Gretsch.

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A silver sparkle Ludwig set, 1967 . These were 1-up 1-down.

Another pic. 1-up, 2-down here...

Thermogloss Maple Ludwig kit, 1968

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hayman kit, 1969. Don't know if these were before or after the black panther Ludwigs.

The black panthers in January 1969, shortly after getting them.

donnbennett

Reaction score
I'm trying to find pics of him playing a Champagne Sparkle Ludwig. I know I've seen pic but just can't find any. Has anyone else ever seen Mitch on a Champagne Sparkle Ludwig?

Troyh

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Donn,
I have not and I've searched quite a bit. I've got some 'dutch import' vhs collections I can double check, but it will be a while as they are in storage, but I don't remember seeing them at all. (Course a lot of that footage is in Black and White.)

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
donnbennett said:
I'm trying to find pics of him playing a Champagne Sparkle set. I know I've seen them but can't find any now. I don't think he played them very long and he probaly just used them in Europe. The silver sparkle set I'm trying to find photos of has an old clip/diamond shaped WFL tom mount. At this point I'm thinking he never used this set with Hendrix.
Then who (do you know) would he had been with (can't name/recall his previous bands around that time and prior..

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of pics of Mitch myself and I have never seen Champagne sparkle. Could it be that it was the silver set with stage lights on it that changed the color? I must say Mitch used a lot of sets. Some were probably either rentals or backline but I have seen a fair amount. I know there was a BDP Ludwig he used for a show that belonged to the opening act. There is a cool facebook group about Mitch and there are lots of great hard to find pics on there.

I have seen pics with:

Premier: 2 sets with one in the white tiger looking finish and the other a sparkle

Rogers: 1 set in BDP

Ludwig: 1 set solid black(though I have never seen any pic of him using this), 1 set BDP, Silver sparkle(with matching canister), Thermogloss(with matching canister!), black panther with without two bass drums

Gretsch: Black set with and without two bass drums

I would love to see and know about more!

Hayman: Not sure of the color

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
wflkurt said:
I have seen a lot of pics of Mitch myself and I have never seen Champagne sparkle. Could it be that it was the silver set with stage lights on it that changed the color? I must say Mitch used a lot of sets. Some were probably either rentals or backline but I have seen a fair amount. I know there was a BDP Ludwig he used for a show that belonged to the opening act. There is a cool facebook group about Mitch and there are lots of great hard to find pics on there.

I have seen pics with:

Premier: 2 sets with one in the white tiger looking finish and the other a sparkle

Ludwig: 1 set solid black(though I have never seen any pic of him using this), 1 set BDP, Silver sparkle(with matching canister), Thermogloss(with matching canister!), black panther with without two bass drums

I just noticed in the last pic, in post #8, shows him on the Thermogloss kit, with the SS canister.

Santos

Reaction score
donnbennett said:
Yeah Mitch Mitchell definitely used the silver sparkle Ludwig set with Hendrix. I no longer own the LP but the French release on Barclay Records has him playing it on the front cover...

Attachments

donnbennett

Reaction score
I'm looking for photos Mitch playing a silver sparkle WFL kit with the diamond shaped old clip on tom mount. There is someone trying to sell one claiming he used it with Hendrix. So far I've never seen a photo of him playing a silver sparkle set with this mount.

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Paris, 1967. Don't know if it's a true Champagne Sparkle kit, or just the picture putting the SS kit in a tint that makes it look like CS.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
BonzoBonham said:

I have seen pics with:

I just noticed in the last pic, in post #8, shows him on the Thermogloss kit, with the SS canister.

I wonder if the canister went missing at some point. I have also seen him using the silver sparkle with the set but this pic shows the original maple throne.

Attachments

Latest posts