header.nohb.html

mitch mitchell-esque cymbal sound: giant beats or a avedis??

bon viesta

Reaction score
washy, prominent, cascading sizzles (as per a few rivets) and just overall “lushness” is the vocabulary i would use to describe the cymbal sound of mitch mitchell, and the cymbal sound i want to be able to get. my idea for sizes are 14, 17-18 crash, a 20 inch ride with rivets, and a nice crashy ride that can do both well.

he used zildjians for most of his career, but apparently he also used giant beats?? and many other drummers i like use giant beats too, john bonham, nick mason, carmine appice. and overall, i think the idea of giant beat cymbals appeals to me more since they’re based on cymbals from the 70s rather than zildjians from the 50s. they

but i’d like to hear people’s experiences comparing zildjian avedis to paiste giant beats, since there’s no threads doing so that i’ve seen around.

Griener

Reaction score
At the risk of seeming like an annoying salesman, I keep pointing out Cymbal & Gong cymbals.
There is a new series, the Janavars, which are modeled after the Giant Beats.
Great cymbals, as you can see and hear in the videos:

I've already ordered a whole set (although I've already bought many cymbals from C&G).
This is one of them:

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Cymbal & Gong and do not benefit from commissions in any way. I buy all my cymbals myself and I really like them.

Last edited:

Tarkus

Reaction score
washy, prominent, cascading sizzles (as per a few rivets) and just overall “lushness” is the vocabulary i would use to describe the cymbal sound of mitch mitchell, and the cymbal sound i want to be able to get. my idea for sizes are 14, 17-18 crash, a 20 inch ride with rivets, and a nice crashy ride that can do both well.

he used zildjians for most of his career, but apparently he also used giant beats?? and many other drummers i like use giant beats too, john bonham, nick mason, carmine appice. and overall, i think the idea of giant beat cymbals appeals to me more since they’re based on cymbals from the 70s rather than zildjians from the 50s. they

but i’d like to hear people’s experiences comparing zildjian avedis to paiste giant beats, since there’s no threads doing so that i’ve seen around.

To me, this is Avedis sound, different from Giant Beats. But due to the typical inconsistency of Zildjians, it might take you headaches to find an Avedis set up sounding exactly like Mitchell's.

Among the Paiste lines with their known sound consistency, the vintage Giant Beats have also a relative large 'spread', like Masters in modern days. Positive point is: they all sound good. Negative point: they're not as cutting as for example 2002. If you want to play in a band with a guitar player as loud as Hendrix, forget about Giant Beats. They will break (and many broke in the old days). There is a reason why most (if not all) of the the early rock drummers you mentioned switched to Paiste 2002 at one point. And don't forget, some of them played a lot Formula 602 during their (studio) career.

But to me, Mitch Mitchell is an Avedis drummer. And he has a personal style of cymbal playing, which is maybe larger part of his sound than the cymbal brand itself. Just my personal opinion.

Last edited:

jmato

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gig Giant Beats almost exclusively for rock gigs - loud ones too. Love them. I have never had one break. As ride cymbals I don't think they cut well, so I typically use something else as a ride. But for hats and crashes GBs cannot be beat IMO.