Mitch

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Always wondered if he played a rivet ride, or simply had one of his “crashes” with rivets. I hear rivets in the sound for sure. Not quite sure what he used other than A’s.

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
I think he used some K Zildjian new stamps at one point. Not sure on the rivets

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always wondered if he played a rivet ride, or simply had one of his “crashes” with rivets. I hear rivets in the sound for sure. Not quite sure what he used other than A’s.
I hear them in The Wind Cries Mary. And he played Paiste on the early records. I’m guessing Giant Beats and 602s. Perhaps on that song.

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread - I also hear Ginger, Densmore with sizzle cymbals, maybe more common in the rock era than I recalled. Barbata also?

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definetly seems like it was more of the thing in the 60’s. We cut down nails from dads work shop and peened them over in our crappy mij cymbals trying to get that sound and look cool!
Interestingly, Armand Zildjian referred to rivets as "nails." He'd say stuff like, put some "nails" in that and it will really sing. I miss him.

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Back in those days there were the little metal things that you could attach to the wingnut place on your cymbal stand to flip down for "rivets" and up for plain. There were also chains and so forth. Rivet enthusiasts may correct me, but I always thought that you could get the rivet sound whenever you wanted it without actually having rivets.