Mixed setup w/ different alloys (i.e. Zildjian and Paiste)?

CrashBoomPang

Reaction score
I've been told about Paistes not blending well with other brands, at least less so than e.g. Zildjian and Sabian. It seems to be one of those pieces of advice you see repeated. Do you feel this is true?

The trouble is, supposedly, due to differences in alloy. That said, Paiste fans don't seem aversed to mixing Paiste's B8 and B20 lines.

Would you pair a 2oo2 with an A? Sigs with some Byzances? What are your thoughts and experiences?

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My main set up is a Sabian 22" Rock ride (B20), a 19" thin Paiste Giant Beat (B8), a Zildjian K/Z hi hat (B20), and a Sabian 16" vault crash (B20). For me, they work together. The 16" and 19" are not a team. They are very different voices. That's what I want.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like using same make because in a company's offerings relations are graduated to work in harmony

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
w/one kit/gig I use a 16 alpha crash with Sabians and the other i have a UFIP supernova (b8) ride with b20s...i think maybe it all depends on how you want to use a different color in the context of what you have.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
The same/similar alloy can also sound hella different with different crafting methods. Not all Zildjian sounds right with all other Zildjian. My main setup is mostly Agop, but they complement each other as contrasts rather than blends.

fatchoppers

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been told about Paistes not blending well with other brands, at least less so than e.g. Zildjian and Sabian. It seems to be one of those pieces of advice you see repeated. Do you feel this is true?

The trouble is, supposedly, due to differences in alloy. That said, Paiste fans don't seem aversed to mixing Paiste's B8 and B20 lines.

Would you pair a 2oo2 with an A? Sigs with some Byzances? What are your thoughts and experiences?
My gigging set up is
Paiste 602 21 heavy
Paiste 505 20 crash
paiste 505 18 crash
Paiste 15’s 404bottom over 505 bottom

CrashBoomPang

Reaction score
Clearly it's a simplification as stated by many above. Maybe it holds true for some models or lines? I've incidentally had little luck matching my Giant Beat 18" with anything. "Paiste cymbals" is clearly too broad a spectrum to make blanket statements about though..!

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
Right now I'm playing-
2002 hats
Signature crashes
A ride
A China
And it sounds great to me.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Back in the earlier days...60s and 70s...it was somewhat common to mix Zildjians and Paistes. No one blinked an eye. People overthink it today. Could name many.

Last edited:

Burps

Reaction score
I have mixed Paiste, Sabian and Zildjian and each cymbal sounds fine with each other. We all want some kind of variety of sounds in our cymbal set up anyway, right?

No one would think to remove a floor tom because it sounds very different from the snare drum. We want that difference in drums. The same with cymbals. Play what sounds good to you.

Last edited:

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I tried mixing Paistes into the mix but when played together they sound so cutting and singular compared to Zildjians or Sabians. I used to be an all Paiste guy, too.

AustinFitz

Reaction score
I've got a pretty good mix that I think sounds great together. I simply pick and pair my cymbals based on sound. As long as they sound good together it doesn't bother me at all if they're different brands and/or alloys.

21" Sabian AA Dry Ride
18" Sabian B8 Pro Medium Crash
16" Zildjian Paper Thin Crash
12" Sabian XS20 Splash
14" Paiste 2oo2 red label Sound Edge hats

Last edited:

Dragonlordapocalypse

Reaction score
I’m being OCD about mixing lines. I’m trying to stick with a setup where every cymbal is a different company. Right now I’ve got

15” Istanbul Xist hihats
16” Saluda crash
18” Sabian Vault
20” Paiste black label 2002 crash
22” UFIP class medium ride
22” Zildjian K light ride

Everything mixed pretty well except the Sabian is a little too loud. I also went through a couple Paiste cymbals before coming across the 2002. It was hard to get them to blend. I buried this one to darken it up. I don’t think it did too much but it looks cool.

CrashBoomPang

Reaction score
It's uncanny how well my Paiste Masters play so nicely with my K's.
I tried mixing Paistes into the mix but when played together they sound so cutting and singular compared to Zildjians or Sabians. I used to be an all Paiste guy, too.
This is my exact experience with my 18" Giant Beat..! Maybe more sterile than cutting, but still.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As I said at the beginning of this thread, it’s fine to mix alloys. It depends on the cymbals.

I often use a vintage white label B8 20” Giant Beat ride with A. Zildjian crashes (B20). They blend perfectly. I’m currently using newer 15” GB hi hats with A. Zildjian crashes and occasionally a K Sweet Crash. Again, they all get along fine and play nice together. Many Paiste artists play cymbals from different alloys. There are no rules.

In fact, I’d make the case that certain B8 and B20 cymbals work better together than using all B20. Try mixing A. Zildjian or Sabian Rock/Heavy Crashes with K Fast Crashes (all B20). Don’t get hung up on alloys.

Last edited:

Latest posts