Mixed setup w/ different alloys (i.e. Zildjian and Paiste)?

markkarj

Reaction score
I'd determine it on a case-by-case basis. Right now, my current setup is a bit brighter. The drums are 14x20 bass; 8x8, 8x10 and 14x14 toms; a 3x13 piccolo snare and a 4x10 popcorn snare.

The cymbals are 13.25 K hybrid hats; 6 and 10 A splashes, a 12 A Custom splash, a 14" AAXplosion fast crash, a 14" AAX studio crash, a 16" A thin crash (Canadian, an 18" Paiste Giant beat (re-issue), a 16" Istanbul Agop China and a 20" A Ping ride. In theory, the Giant Beat might be a bit more of the clanger due to the B8 alloy. But the relatively light weight plays well with the other cymbals.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looking at old 80s Modern Drummer issues, big name drummers (Phil Collins, Roger Taylor, Kenny Jones, Alan Gratzer to name a few) mixed brands all the time. For no name drummers like myself, it was a big deal to have a Paiste. It was rare to see a local drummer with a full set of Paiste cymbals. After Sabian came out, I would frequently see drummers with all three brands. I think with putting such prominent logos on the cymbals, the marketing is in drummer's heads these days.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is my exact experience with my 18" Giant Beat..! Maybe more sterile than cutting, but still.
You used "sterile" and that's the word I wanted but couldn't find it. I've experimented over the years but put a Paiste in the mix with Sabs or Zildjians, it's like the ugly duckling waddled into the room. Abrasively sterile. Every time.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Years ago when I was gigging regularly my set up was
14" Sabian Sizzle Hats
15" 80's A paper thin crash used as a splash
16/18" A Custom crashes
18" K dark crash ( found out later it's an EAK)
17" K China
20" Paiste Sound Formula dry ride
Sometimes 13" K/ Z hats and sometimes a 20" K Heavy ride would be swapped in and out... This set up worked great.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I loved using Paiste crashes in the 90's(3000s and Sigs) to cut through the rest of the overamplified din. Hats and ride were Zildjian. I still like mixing it up, though my default is Sabian these days. Thank heaven no one demands that I stick with one brand of anything; there's too much good stuff out there!

Dan