Mixer for drums

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm looking for a mixer for my drums that can be ran to our bands PA system.

I'm looking for around 8 XLR inputs give or take. I want to be able to adjust the mix while sitting behind the set.

What are you guys using?

Any suggestions?

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I probably should have been more clear. I'm looking for something fairly simple and under 150 bucks. What I'm looking for may not be out there as most in that range with 8 inputs have only 4 XLR inputs and I'd like a couple more than that.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think you're going to have a tough time finding anything with that budget. The absolute lowest quality I'd recommend going is Behringer, and you're looking at twice that for their cheapest mixer with 8 mic pres (the RX1202FX).

You might be able to find a used Behringer for that price point, but buyer definitely beware. While Behringer has made incredible strides in the last decade, they're still one of the brands that I'd probably never buy used gear from.

covinasurf

Reaction score
I’ve been using a Mackie 1402 VLZ3 For several years now. Only 6 XLRs but I’m only using 1 overhead. I run a mono mix to the main P.A. and a monitor mix back. That way I can plug my in-ears into the Mackie And get drums and monitor. Works good.
One other thing, get a snake if you can. It makes setup and tear down way easier And having the snake box in front of the kit makes it easier to run the lines to and from the main P.A.

The are a couple on reverb for $200 or less.

dsop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm looking for something fairly simple and under 150 bucks.
seriously-dude-dude-seriously-thumb2.jpg

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think you're going to have a tough time finding anything with that budget. The absolute lowest quality I'd recommend going is Behringer, and you're looking at twice that for their cheapest mixer with 8 mic pres (the RX1202FX).

You might be able to find a used Behringer for that price point, but buyer definitely beware. While Behringer has made incredible strides in the last decade, they're still one of the brands that I'd probably never buy used gear from.

Behringer has outright duds new, as well.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm looking for a mixer for my drums that can be ran to our bands PA system.

I'm looking for around 8 XLR inputs give or take. I want to be able to adjust the mix while sitting behind the set.

What are you guys using?

Any suggestions?
$26 above your budget on eBay. Pyle's stuff is cheap but solid:

Amazon sells it for more than eBay but here is the Amazon link so you can read the great reviews about it on Amazon:

If you want to go totally cheap, here's a Chinese option. I'd go with the Pyle over this one anyday:

If you can come up with an extra $100+, the Soundcraft is a great option:

Used is not your only option!
Good luck,
LRod

Last edited:

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Behringer has outright duds new, as well.
Yeah, but so does any manufacturer. Modern Behringer stuff (for the most part) has come a long way. Their analog + digital mixers, guitar pedals, and analog synths, in particular, are all pretty decent these days. For the price, they're absolutely remarkable.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah, but so does any manufacturer. Modern Behringer stuff (for the most part) has come a long way. Their analog + digital mixers, guitar pedals, and analog synths, in particular, are all pretty decent these days. For the price, they're absolutely remarkable.

If they work, it's great. I have a keyboard amp that is great.

I will never forget opening a new mixer and turned it on. A puff of smoke came out and no power. Wish I were joking!

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
$26 above your budget on eBay. Pyle's stuff is cheap but solid:

Amazon sells it for more than eBay but here is the Amazon link so you can read the great reviews about it on Amazon:

If you want to go totally cheap, here's a Chinese option. I'd go with the Pyle over this one anyday:

If you can come up with an extra $100+, the Soundcraft is a great option:

Used is not your only option!
Good luck,
LRod
From those choices, I’d go with the Soundcraft all day. It probably has better preamps and eq than the rest.

I’d also be looking at Yamaha. Their stuff is almost always good to great quality in everything they make.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
From those choices, I’d go with the Soundcraft all day. It probably has better preamps and eq than the rest.

I’d also be looking at Yamaha. Their stuff is almost always good to great quality in everything they make.
Me too but his budget is $150 so the Pyle would be a decent option in that price range. I put the Soundcraft in as an option in case he could squeeze an extra $100.

Last edited:

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
your price point is a bit low, but I use a Soundcraft mixer

I like how this one is simple. No extras, the unit is not overly large.

I'm just looking to have control of my mics before they are sent to the PA and to be able to adjust while behind the set.

Last edited:

RogersLudwig

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like how this one is simple. No extras I don't need to make the unit overly large.

I'm just looking to have control of my mics before they are sent to the PA and to be able to adjust while behind the set.

that was my goal, too, and this is an excellent mixer. they make a similar model with effects, but this is the one for you.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I really didn't have an idea of a price point of a mixer and what is out there.

I threw a $150 figure out there as a starting point cause like most of us I like to spend less if able but I also don't want to buy crap.

I have also seen, more times than not, most people suggest items above a person's budget. It always "well if you just spent more" so I decided to throw a lower number out there cause if I had said $250 people would be suggesting $500.:)

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Yamaha EMX 5 12 channel mixer and it is great . It doesn’t weigh much to lug around and it is very solid and works flawlessly . It doesn’t cost an arm or leg either . I paid $599 Canadian brand new for it .
Yamaha also makes a lot of really nice smaller mixers for great prices .