header.nohb.html

Mixer

petereather

Reaction score
Hey Guys my board is starting to go I know this is not drumming but I am the Drummer and the leader . Berhinger is dying want to up grade .Like to stay around $ 1000. any help ? I mic the drums with seperate mixer .

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Analog or digital? If digital, do you want controls on mixer or is remote only okay? And if local controls are desired, do you want physical faders or is a touchscreen okay?

How many channels? And how many mic pres?

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Qsc touchmix I love it. Our sound guy uses one and I have the program on a iPad as wel and control my own monitor mix from my drums instead of having to get his attention. It has killer effects and pre amps

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Qsc touchmix I love it. Our sound guy uses one and I have the program on a iPad as wel and control my own monitor mix from my drums instead of having to get his attention. It has killer effects and pre amps

That's what i use too, but it won't fit his budget, unfortunately. You can get a used TM-8 for that budget, but I'd definitely want to try it out first. There are pretty well-known output capacitor and power supply issues with the 8 and 16.

petereather

Reaction score
I can tell you what I know I am using 4 powered monitors 2 18 powered subs 2 15 powered mains ,No wireless or blue tooth . 4 main mics vocals 4 drum mics as I said using small board for drums piped into main mixer .

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
You might like the Presonous 16.0. Some swear by it others swear at it. I really like it. Real faders and gain every thing else digital and some what set and forget. I really like that it has faders for the four aux mixes. Very easy when playing and mixing. 12 xlrs are normally enough. You cans find used at your budget

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have 4 Mackie Onyx in the house because I bought them from 350 to 650 CAN$, 2 of them in a store, 2 on Kijiji....Onyx 1640i, Onyx 1640 ands Onyx 1620i, 16 channels...OK, not digital but killer deal everywhere...6 Aux send, full semi parametriq EQ, faders and 16 in/out Firewire interface...Ok, a bit old but works like a charm with my Mac Mini and Imac...
I hesitated a lot but buying digital and having the same number of channel would have cost me a firtune!! And with this little combiner, 60$ on ebay, they are not chained like a cascade but are all in parallel, like I have 48 channels with 6 aux send etc...

In the Studio, in the rack is premix for the keys, on top of it is the mics, preamp etc...And I have enough to mix 16 channels with faders and super compact.
IMG_0708.JPG

In the basement, recording and practice place. Onyx 1640i (I like interface) A left, all for drums mics, Onyx B right, for the rest of the band:
IMG_20211111_055533.jpg
IMG_20211206_004226.jpg

Last acquisition, premix extra drums mics (3rd and 4th snare, room mics, drumboxes, 2nd ride, 2dn hat, 3rd ride etc...), mackie 1620I, 8 Mics preamp only but rest is stereo inputs.:
IMG_20220708_122815.jpg

IMG_20220709_033814.jpg

If digital, I like a lot the Allen Nad Health QU16:

Last edited:

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, the one that I proposed, are analog, still super good but because of the tendency to go digital, to have the internal "computer" inside the board doing calculation of bits instead of summing volts, and the fact that you can save memories of the board and recall it, if you have the budget, and this is a big one, yes, go digital...
But the learning curve could be a bit steep, depending on the board because you have one set of pots doing all the things compared to an analog whereas you have one pots for one fonction...And if you want other people than you doing stuff on it, analog is more intuitive...That's why there is still analog board, easier to learn ans cheap...Ok, not the big studio analog hybrid but with 1500, I got 48 channels...and a lot of cables...While with that budget, you are even short for an digital board...
Go to your music store, check what they have and let me know, I spent so much time trying to decide which one is best that I could help, I was in your shoes few years ago.

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Digital is a huge upgrade, just the option to save your snapshot is a game changer. Makes life so much simpler.
Agreed. And the ability to "walk the room" with a tablet and make adjustments is *chefs kiss*.

Add in full effects on each channel, parametric EQ / compression on each channel. It's a higher learning curve, but well worth it, IMO.

petereather

Reaction score
You might like the Presonous 16.0. Some swear by it others swear at it. I really like it. Real faders and gain every thing else digital and some what set and forget. I really like that it has faders for the four aux mixes. Very easy when playing and mixing. 12 xlrs are normally enough. You cans find used at your budget
I found a open box 1 for $799 plus shipping it is a 2020 model What do you think ?

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I found a open box 1 for $799 plus shipping it is a 2020 model What do you think ?
Pretty good price. The hardest part to learn on it is that you have to select a chanel to get to efx, etc for each channel....check out a few videos of it on youtube to make sure it will work for ya...I like mine but have had some say they hate that aspect of the channels