Mixing Cymbal Brands

Thundercranium

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance. I couldn't find a thread that addresses this question, and I'm new at this, so please bear with me. I'm wondering if I can use different brands of cymbals. My son has an Alesis Strike Pro kit and wants to add another crash. $400 seems a bit steep and I was wondering if I could substitute a different brand.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is directly from the Strike Pro FAQ on the Alesis website:

The majority of pads and triggers on the market today will very likely work with the kit, though there will certainly be some that require some setting tweaks and others that may not work at all due to design differences. Most triggers will use the same basic technology and all that would be required to adapt the trigger would be to choose the correct trigger type in the Strike Module (switch or pad) and likely adjust the sensitivity and threshold.

I think you're pretty safe using other brands for a crash cymbal. It might be different if he wanted to use it as a ride cymbal. The best bang for your buck is to try to find a used cymbal pad from Alesis, Roland, or Yamaha.

electrodrummer

Reaction score
$400? Is that USD? For a cymbal? No! You can buy entire Alesis kits for that!

Anyways, 99% of drum triggers (pads, etc) are simply £1/$1/€1 piezos stuck onto something. So, on that basis they are generally interchangeable, with a little tweaking to the settings in the module.

The differences come in the way different manufacturers support extra features like multiple zones (edge, bow, bell) on a cymbal, and how choke is implemented.

SO, you'll get a single zone from most manufacturers, you may not get multiple zones or choke.

I suggest you take a look at the dedicated Alesis forum where you might find more precise answers.

Good luck.