header.nohb.html

Mod Orange Downbeat

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I know some of you guys saw this on Facebook but in case you haven't, I'll post here. Many that know me have known that I have wanted a Mod Orange downbeat for many many years. In fact I started collecting drums right after I graduated high school in 1990 and I always told myself that I would look for a set like John Densmore as I fell in love with his little set after seeing the video of the Doors at the Hollywood Bowl. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that finding one would be so tough. Over the years I have managed to obtain a 1969 super classic as well as a 1971 clubdate. I even found a 1970 Mod Orange canister throne before I owned any Mod Orange set! I'd say maybe around 10 years or so I totally lucked into finding a really nice condition 14x14. I would certainly think the hardest piece to find and was able to at least use it with my 1969 super classic. A few years ago I met a guy on facebook that bought a 1970 22,13,16 Mod Orange and it came with an odd late 60's Mod Orange 8x12. He agreed to sell me the odd 8x12 and it was a really good match to my 14x14. neither drum has a date stamp but both serials are pretty close and if I were to guess, I would probably say late 1968 as both drums are close in serial number to my psychedelic red rock duo as those drums are stamped Dec 12 1968. I figured all I had to do now was wait for the drums Gods to send me a late 1960's 14x20 Mod Orange bass drum that was drilled for a rail and cymbal mount. No problem right? A few weeks ago the guy (Shawn) that sold me the 12" tom (we have become friendly through facebook now) hipped me to an instagram post by Nelson's drum shop out of Nashville. They had a few storage units full of old vintage drum singles and in the video they had, they whipped past a Mod Orange bass drum and Shawn saw it. The video was not the best quality and if I blinked I may have missed the bass drum all together.

Fortunately I was able to be the first one to respond and several weeks later, I have a matching bass drum. It is definitely more faded than the 12 and 14 but it is date stamped Feb 24 1969! It had everything as well except for the rail. Fortunately I have been stashing a late 60's/70's rail for this exact occasion. I also had an original 20" script logo head that has been waiting as well. The supraphonic I paired with this set is also very close in serial number to the bass drum so all is right now! I had to sell off my rewrapped Mod orange jazzfest in original Mod Orange to make the bass drum happen but it was totally worth it. Honestly I never thought this would happen. I have the other two Mod Orange sets so I figured I really shouldn't complain and just stay happy with those. Something inside of me still wanted one though and I have now checked off every box for drums that I have wanted. Not that I won't keep looking but it's a nice feeling. Going to gig the set this weekend. Thank you if you made it this far! Lol

You can see in the first picture before the rail was installed just how much fade is on the bass drum.

Attachments

• Downbeat1.jpg
    Downbeat1.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 136
  • Downbeat2.jpg
    Downbeat2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 137
  • Downbeat3.jpg
    Downbeat3.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 138
  • Mod Clubdate.jpg
    Mod Clubdate.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 135
  • Mod Super Classic.jpg
    Mod Super Classic.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 135

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrads !!!!!!!

I absolutely love my 20/12/14 vintage kit ..

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Looks great Kurt! Very happy for you. Enjoy those!

Mike

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Thanks guys. They are going to be very fun to play. I'm also not very tall so downbeat sizes work well for me.

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Congrats Kurt!!! at some point I had a fever for mod orange down beats as well but it calmed down. I am glad you were able to find the set you were looking for all these years, it must be a great feeling!

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good for you Kurt.
The patient years long hunt finally pays off.

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A well deserved acquisition and worth the wait, Kurt! Good things come to those who wait.....enjoy those drums!

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Congrats no better feeling then when you get what you chase for so long. Hope they treat ya good.