Mod Orange Questions

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just wondering when Ludwig started using the mod orange wrap?

How close is the mod orange you can get from Precision or other places?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I believe Mod Orange was introduced in 1967 and remained available until around 1974.

The closest reproduction you can buy right now is from Jammin' Sam. It is Delmar material but he seems to have an exclusive on it (although it might be worth a call to Precision first). The colors are spot on but the swirl pattern isn't quite the same as the vintage version. Ludwig is using a more refined reproduction version (also made by Delmar) on new production but it does not seem to be available on the wrap aftermarket.

The other alternatives are Bumwrap and Wallopus who both offer their own versions based on scans of the original wrap.

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To add to K.O's post- most original Mod Orange is faded.

There is a difference between vibrant original and faded original. Unfaded it has a purple and a very dark and then a lighter orange swirl. Most of the time the purple has faded to white and the dark orange has faded to a lighter yellow-orange that almost blends in with the lighter orange.

Google pics of the original and you will see all the differences. Some people actually prefer the faded finish to the unfaded.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you both very much for the information. I am considering having a vintage Ludwig set re-wrapped in mod orange. I will need to do a bit more research but this information is encouraging.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's my mid-60's Pioneer shell, with a nice piece of Mod Orange wrap I received from Jammin' Sam about 2 weeks ago. The protective clear film is still on the wrap, so it doesn't shine the way it should. The wrap is just sitting around the shell for this picture. Hasn't yet been properly attached.

I received the Pioneer with a very thick green sparkle automotive upholstery installed. The top and bottom each had 101 staples holding the upholstery to the solid maple re-rings! After I removed the wrap, I was left with a shell that had been already stripped of its original Green Sparkle wrap! Oh, the horror! I took the shell to my friend, Chris Heuer, to have the shell repaired for re-wrapping. It will be a cool drum when complete!

-Mark

Attachments

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Thank you both very much for the information. I am considering having a vintage Ludwig set re-wrapped in mod orange. I will need to do a bit more research but this information is encouraging.
I rewrapped a set of 60's orphans in Mod Orange last year. It turned out very nicely. 12/14/16/20 with a matching 5x 14 and a 6.5x 14 as well.

IMG_3788.JPG

IMG_3852.JPG

IMG_3796.JPG

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Kevin is right about Mod Orange starting in 1967. From the many years of research I have done on it, the color seems to have appeared in the early part of 1967, possibly as early as May. I would venture to guess that Psych red was also available at the same time. It gets confusing as neither color made it to the 1967 catalog(printed in 1966) and the next catalog Ludwig put out was in 1971(printed in 1970). Both Mod Orange and Psych Red appeared in an ad for the spring edition of the Ludwig drummer but by this time, both colors had already been available for close to a year. It's hard to pinpoint exactly when Mod Orange ceased production as there could have been wrap left around and used up a later dates if it was on hand. By 1973, the color was dropped from the catalog.

As for the new stuff, it's true that most sets have some degree of fade. In fact so many sets have at least some fade that when people see what it really looked like, they think Ludwig made two versions. Of course this is not true and for whatever reason, some sets just fared better than others. In terms of new wrap, nobody has nailed the perfect version yet. Jammin Sams has the color down perfectly and i think it looks pretty good. This version has strong true color that is identical to what the original color was like. as Kevin mentioned though, the swirls are off. The original stuff had a lot more pronounced lines and wasn't so random like Jammin Sams. Ludwig's new version was created when the guys at Ludwig borrowed a tom from a mint un-faded club date set that was owned by Bun E Carlos. The got the colors rights but the striations are a little to blotchy instead of being just straight swirl lines. Depending on the batch, I have seen some decent looking ones from Ludwig but also some that look way too splotchy for my liking. As for Bumwrap, they have the pattern spot on as it is a scan from a real piece of mod orange. The issue with Bumwrap is that the color is not as vibrant as un-faded original stuff. If Jammin Sam Mod Orange color were combined with the swirl pattern from Bumwrap, you would have an exact match.

Hope that helps. BTW I also think as long as you do entire set in any one version, it should look good as long as all the pieces match. Trying to match existing can be tough. Here is Jammin Sams, Bumwrap and an original swatch from around 1968-69.

Mod swatches.jpg

JimUK

Reaction score
Kevin is right about Mod Orange starting in 1967. From the many years of research I have done on it, the color seems to have appeared in the early part of 1967, possibly as early as May. I would venture to guess that Psych red was also available at the same time. It gets confusing as neither color made it to the 1967 catalog(printed in 1966) and the next catalog Ludwig put out was in 1971(printed in 1970). Both Mod Orange and Psych Red appeared in an ad for the spring edition of the Ludwig drummer but by this time, both colors had already been available for close to a year. It's hard to pinpoint exactly when Mod Orange ceased production as there could have been wrap left around and used up a later dates if it was on hand. By 1973, the color was dropped from the catalog.

As for the new stuff, it's true that most sets have some degree of fade. In fact so many sets have at least some fade that when people see what it really looked like, they think Ludwig made two versions. Of course this is not true and for whatever reason, some sets just fared better than others. In terms of new wrap, nobody has nailed the perfect version yet. Jammin Sams has the color down perfectly and i think it looks pretty good. This version has strong true color that is identical to what the original color was like. as Kevin mentioned though, the swirls are off. The original stuff had a lot more pronounced lines and wasn't so random like Jammin Sams. Ludwig's new version was created when the guys at Ludwig borrowed a tom from a mint un-faded club date set that was owned by Bun E Carlos. The got the colors rights but the striations are a little to blotchy instead of being just straight swirl lines. Depending on the batch, I have seen some decent looking ones from Ludwig but also some that look way too splotchy for my liking. As for Bumwrap, they have the pattern spot on as it is a scan from a real piece of mod orange. The issue with Bumwrap is that the color is not as vibrant as un-faded original stuff. If Jammin Sam Mod Orange color were combined with the swirl pattern from Bumwrap, you would have an exact match.

Hope that helps. BTW I also think as long as you do entire set in any one version, it should look good as long as all the pieces match. Trying to match existing can be tough. Here is Jammin Sams, Bumwrap and an original swatch from around 1968-69.

. View attachment 449662
This is fantastic content. Thanks for sharing. Do you have a similar background on psych red? These finishes are fascinating.

Kenwood

Reaction score
I found these three moderately faded (slight traces of purple)blue/olive toms that had been all born together
It took over a year to find a suitable match (color-wise) to replace the missing bass drum.
They show up so seldom as orphaned drums that I finally settled on this keystone era bass drum
since the degree to the fading was just right being only slightly more faded (almost no traces of the purple)
viable candidates to be both era correct and the right degree of fade where very sparse,
20191025_023052.jpg

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I found these three moderately faded (slight traces of purple)blue/olive toms that had been all born together
It took over a year to find a suitable match (color-wise) to replace the missing bass drum.
They show up so seldom as orphaned drums that I finally settled on this keystone era bass drum
since the degree to the fading was just right being only slightly more faded (almost no traces of the purple)
viable candidates to be both era correct and the right degree of fade where very sparse, View attachment 450068
That's a great match! Well done!

Kenwood

Reaction score
Thanks Topsy Turvy
since the blue /olive badges on the toms faced inward for the most part
I decided to embrace the keystone era look with the block lettered double tom holder
and script logo resonant head
76775092_1234531253405169_2408113297292263424_o.jpg

Last edited:

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks Topsy Turvy
since the blue /olive badges on the toms faced inward for the most part
I decided to embrace the keystone era look with the block lettered double tom holder
and script logo resonant head View attachment 450132

That definitely works for me. Really, you will be the only one who knows they are not all keystone era drums. They look and sound the part, I’m sure. Win-win in my book.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
This is fantastic content. Thanks for sharing. Do you have a similar background on psych red? These finishes are fascinating.

I think Psych red follows a pretty similar path. For some reason though that color was the most popular of the three funky colors (Mod Orange, Psych Red and Citrus Mod). It lasted all the up to the rounded corner badge era though the pattern and look changed around 1976 or so. If I were to make a guess (and this is a total guess), I would think that the company that supplied wrap to Ludwig would show them some of the new offerings they were coming out with and being on the cusp of the summer of love, someone (most likely WFL II) made the decision to add mod orange and psych red to the color options hoping to capitalize on current trends. weather it was WFL II or not, someone was thinking and had a finger on the pulse of things as no other drum company in 1967 was offering a color so whacked out as psychedelic red. It was probably WFL II that named them as well which I think took a little bit of trending knowledge to do that. Maybe he had help from some of the younger guys with a finger on the pulse but I have always admired how they were willing to forge ahead to new things.

Trends change fast though and I think by the time they went ahead and added Citrus Mod to the color options (Mid 1968), people tastes were rapidly changing. The Beatles were stripping their instruments to natural wood and a lot of guys were starting to favor finishes that were like that or a solid black color. Mitch Mitchell went in 1968 from a thermogloss maple set to a set of black panther Ludwigs by 1969. John Bonham got his thermogloss set after seeing the set Carmine Appice had so the arrival of Citrus Mod was not overly popular. Because Ludwig was making up shells in advance, they got stuck sitting on a dud. I think this is what happened and why Ludwig decided to cover the remaing shells with black panther and astro wraps from the standard series in mid 1970.

When it comes to psychedelic red though, I couldn't really say for sure why it lasted so long. It's not like anybody super famous played a set of them like Ringo and Oyster Black or John Densmore with Mod Orange. Don't get me wrong though, Psych Red is a really cool color. I don't care for it much with the green faded out but unfaded Psych Red looks amazing.

JimUK

Reaction score
I think Psych red follows a pretty similar path. For some reason though that color was the most popular of the three funky colors (Mod Orange, Psych Red and Citrus Mod). It lasted all the up to the rounded corner badge era though the pattern and look changed around 1976 or so. If I were to make a guess (and this is a total guess), I would think that the company that supplied wrap to Ludwig would show them some of the new offerings they were coming out with and being on the cusp of the summer of love, someone (most likely WFL II) made the decision to add mod orange and psych red to the color options hoping to capitalize on current trends. weather it was WFL II or not, someone was thinking and had a finger on the pulse of things as no other drum company in 1967 was offering a color so whacked out as psychedelic red. It was probably WFL II that named them as well which I think took a little bit of trending knowledge to do that. Maybe he had help from some of the younger guys with a finger on the pulse but I have always admired how they were willing to forge ahead to new things.

Trends change fast though and I think by the time they went ahead and added Citrus Mod to the color options (Mid 1968), people tastes were rapidly changing. The Beatles were stripping their instruments to natural wood and a lot of guys were starting to favor finishes that were like that or a solid black color. Mitch Mitchell went in 1968 from a thermogloss maple set to a set of black panther Ludwigs by 1969. John Bonham got his thermogloss set after seeing the set Carmine Appice had so the arrival of Citrus Mod was not overly popular. Because Ludwig was making up shells in advance, they got stuck sitting on a dud. I think this is what happened and why Ludwig decided to cover the remaing shells with black panther and astro wraps from the standard series in mid 1970.

When it comes to psychedelic red though, I couldn't really say for sure why it lasted so long. It's not like anybody super famous played a set of them like Ringo and Oyster Black or John Densmore with Mod Orange. Don't get me wrong though, Psych Red is a really cool color. I don't care for it much with the green faded out but unfaded Psych Red looks amazing.

Thank you! I've a soft spot for it since I saw Pat Wilson from Weezer play the 2001 reissue and as a teenager and fell down a hole of research and obsessing over it! I blab on about a reissue that's good to anyone who'll listen, though I think I'm hoping for the impossible. Thanks again.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Thank you! I've a soft spot for it since I saw Pat Wilson from Weezer play the 2001 reissue and as a teenager and fell down a hole of research and obsessing over it! I blab on about a reissue that's good to anyone who'll listen, though I think I'm hoping for the impossible. Thanks again.
There really is nothing like original unfaded Psychedelic Red. It's so cool when the greens pop.

Latest posts