Modern Acrolites

cdlaine

DFO Star
Reaction score
Nice breakdown Blu...pretty much jibes with my stash ...

Jay, I do have a deep dish Blacro that I've been meaning

to re-configure but other drums keep showing up at the

front door...

Need to show it some attention....

Peace, Chas

View attachment 66002

Lugwid

User of Agop Cymbals!
Reaction score
for the record, they are Fatblacs... this deep dish stuff, I dont know if I can jive with that.

Otherwise I LOVE mine, and while it seems that there are tons of variations of this model over the years all with slightly different attitudes tones, my blacro has never let me down. I only wish I kept my 5" to complement it sometimes.

Patrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi,

Interesting difference in opinion betwixt where you heard the plague line and what seems to be the consensus here. Acro's get a fair amount of discerning praise here.

I like my Blacro just fine and do encourage people to give Acro/Blacro's a try.

Patrick

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
I've owned two Acro's, an older one with the smoother finish, another with the thicker finish, and a Blacro. If there is much difference between them, I don't have discerning enough ears to pick up on it. They all sounded great (I still have the Blacro---the two Acro's went with kits that I sold as package deals, to my immense sadness). I bought the Blacro for $67 off of Ebay, btw.

Herb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I would lean toward the vintage, it's mainly because you can get a vintage one for the same money as a new Blackro, and the vintage one doesn't depreciate. But, if you can buy that used Blackro for $67(!) - how can you go wrong?

For an experiment, swap the hoops - I can hear pretty big differences when I do this. I have had an acro set up with heavy 2.3 triple flange hoops from a marching drum, with a wood Yamaha-style hoop on the batter, with original thin 60's hoops... haven't tried a diecast, but I should. Probably more of a difference than painted or not.

Herb

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 70s blue and olive pointy badge acro as well as a recent vintage galaxie black acrolite. With the same heads (Remo Ambassadors) they sound very close to my ears.

Although my vintage acro is in really clean condition, they do seem to sratch and get funky looking very easily. (That's just my opinion...) I'm using my black acrolite with my Remo Legero travel kit as I roam the country.

Ammomike

Reaction score
I picked up my 70's acro simply because that's what I was using when I started playing. Now that I have picked up the sticks again, so to speak, I wanted the same snare I started with. Old Faithful complex maybe.

Ammo

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
The modern Blackro is more focused in the mid range. The older KB Acrolites have a more full frequency sound, similar to the Ludalloy SupraPhonics of that time period. The Ludwig alloy shells have changed many times over the years, as have the hoops on these drums. I have had the KB version as well as the blue/olive and 3 different Black Galaxy versions. ALL were different from each other. ALL were good sounding drums. Pick one you like. Or get them all.... :icon_smile:

Casper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The modern Blackro is more focused in the mid range. The older KB Acrolites have a more full frequency sound, similar to the Ludalloy SupraPhonics of that time period. The Ludwig alloy shells have changed many times over the years, as have the hoops on these drums. I have had the KB version as well as the blue/olive and 3 different Black Galaxy versions. ALL were different from each other. ALL were good sounding drums. Pick one you like. Or get them all.... :icon_smile:
What he said. I have a KB Acro, two 80s era battleship grey Acros, and a recent Blacro. I like the looks of the KB Acro the best, but I like the Blacro's sound the most. To be fair, they're all set up differently, so I haven't really given them an honest A/B test, but I like the more focused sound of the Blacro more than the open, ringy sound of the other three. Having said that, all of them are very good; just different. There are situations where the Blacro would be the one to use and there are other situations where the Acros would serve the music better. At such low prices (with the recent exception of the KB Acros), get a variety and have fun with them all.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
You know years ago,Billy Goodness told us about his 70's Acro w/ the 42 strand snares,I had my 60's 5x14 Acro and I opted for a 30 strand Metrix snare,it never sounded so good!
I recorded w/ that thing and the engineer went and bought one and set it up like mine because he loved how it sounded and recorded!
My 6.5 Blackro is the punchiest snare I've owned and it gets lots of face time.
Those two snares are wonderful!
Pat

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
I own two B/O Supras and a S.S. { Kind of like better dressed big brothers ? Unfortunately though, they all have some degree of the blistering }
To me they share almost the same "sonic territory".

I think I am going to buy a Blacro after I get finished typing this ! :occasion5:

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
You know years ago,Billy Goodness told us about his 70's Acro w/ the 42 strand snares,I had my 60's 5x14 Acro and I opted for a 30 strand Metrix snare,it never sounded so good!
I recorded w/ that thing and the engineer went and bought one and set it up like mine because he loved how it sounded and recorded!
My 6.5 Blackro is the punchiest snare I've owned and it gets lots of face time.
Those two snares are wonderful!
Pat
I had a similar experience when my old metal band recorded back in the early 90's. I brought a battleship grey Acro and my high dollar (for the time) Tama Mastercraft cherry wine 8x14. I did a couple of songs with the Tama, and then stuck my Acro on the stand for an uptempo song that I thought would benefit from something with a little more "crack" to it. After we did a run through, the engineer/producer said, "Put the other one away!" I wound up recording the rest of the album on the Acro.

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
It was a favor..... Billy helped me waterproof my downstairs. A really nice thing to do. Fortunately I have another acro. Jerry Kroon says, "That'll make money!"

Latest posts