Modern cymbal stands and vintage cymbals

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm in a quandary regarding the use of modern (Gibraltar) hardware and vintage cymbals, Paistes to be more precise. Seems the center hole on vintage Paiste are much smaller in diameter in relation to the modern Gibraltar cymbal stands. Short or reaming them out (NOOOOoooo) has anyone had this experience and what did you do about it? I'm certain the cymbals would sound and feel better with a smaller diameter post, to let the cymbal swing a bit more freely.

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You already stated you would not enlarge the bell hole so, there isn't much you can do save for finding vintage cymbal stands, like Gretsch or Slingerland or Ludwig that had smaller mounting posts. Then you have to decide what to use to protect the cymbal, like a proper size of vinyl tubing that works. Personally I stopped using vinyl because it caused an abrasive noise as the cymbal rocked against it, especially doing mallet rolls. And it chews through pretty fast, as well.

Aside from some splashes I enlarge every bell hole in all my cymbals to accommodate the protective sleeves I use. It's easy to do with a "step drill bit." It not only enlarges the hole but, rounds off the sharp edge of it which helps any protective post sleeve last longer.

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just sent off an email to Gibraltar, asking if they make a 6mm cymbal tilter that I can swap out for the current 8mm tilters. What other than vinyl is the alternative cymbal protection?

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just sent off an email to Gibraltar, asking if they make a 6mm cymbal tilter that I can swap out for the current 8mm tilters. What other than vinyl is the alternative cymbal protection?
Well, I really dislike the plastic sleeve/cup stands come with today. I rarely use them. Maybe for splashes. If the bell holes remain 1/2" or smaller, not much to use. I used to use rubber hose, which is almost indestructible but, as the posts got bigger I had to force the hose down the post which caused it to widen and cymbals wouldn't fit which is when I began widen the holes to 9/16." Then I found that using faucet hose/water lines fits down the larger posts easier and works just as well. I just have to sand off the glossy finish or I'd get the same abrasive sound as the vinyl.

I have gotten old stands I have found on ebay that had surgical tubing on them, which fit the smaller posts fine but, it chews through pretty fast. You'd have to have a decent supply of it. It's fairly thin-walled stuff.

J

jaymandude

DW makes a plastic cup and sleeve that’s a little thinner to accommodate vintage cymbals. I don’t where to order them, a friend of mine with a big backline company handed me 3 a few months ago. They work on my K’s, I know that much

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
8mm cymbal tilters a part of the drum industry's ridiculous "bigger is better" marketing push. I have never heard of anyone's cymbals falling off because the tilter thread broke off.

Your options really are few.

Old stands or the few that currently still offer 6mm.

Vinyl tubing which will wear quickly and still be larger than 6mm stands.

Drill out the cymbal hole. A step drill is going to be the best for this as it will allow you to chamfer the edges of the hole.

One possible option is cymbal crowns. I have no experience with them and don't know if the top part is the same size for 6mm and 8mm or if the cymbals actually stay on.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I suppose you could grind them down and re-cut the threads if necessary. Or don't touch the threads since your cymbals fit over them. Use a dremel or a bench grinder and very carefully grind a mm off the shaft below the threads. Hopefully you could force the sleeves over the threaded section. Do Gibralter stands accept dw or other brand boom arms that offer 6 mm posts? Last whacko resort...is it possible to remove the split pin that holds the tilter on the boom arm and replace the tilter with a 6 mm post job?

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I made a few of these awhile ago to do just what you are trying to do. Basically, it screws on to the top of an 8 mm cymbal stand and gives you a smaller shaft for those vintage cymbals. The 1/4" - 20 thread is the same as the vintage Ludwig stands.

8mm to quarter inch adapter.jpg

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I made a few of these awhile ago to do just what you are trying to do. Basically, it screws on to the top of an 8 mm cymbal stand and gives you a smaller shaft for those vintage cymbals. The 1/4" - 20 thread is the same as the vintage Ludwig stands.

View attachment 433240
I wish someone made those because that would be easy enough to screw on. I wonder how much it would change the center of gravity on the lightweight stands.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I understand the reluctance to enlarge the hole in vintage cymbals, but that shouldn't really be an issue, should it? I'd pull out the drill and the step bit and take matters in hand.

GeeDeeEmm

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Stands from the 1980's like Tama's can still be found in excellent condition and they'll work for 7/16" (11 mm) bell hole cymbals back into the 1930's. Only ones I've found that are too small are some of the early K Istanbuls that are 13/32" or 10 mm. And on those the 60's Ludwigs and others will handle it.

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wish someone made those because that would be easy enough to screw on. I wonder how much it would change the center of gravity on the lightweight stands.
I don't think the center of gravity would change much. The adapter is only about 2.5" long in total and the bottom inch or so gets screwed onto the top of the existing stand.

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

View attachment 433240
Man, seriously? You have an entire cottage industry on your hands there. I'd purchase them in a heartbeat.

Latest posts