Modern drum shop nesting kit wanted

nk126

Reaction score
cinemadrummer2001 said:
Looking for a Modern Drum shop 18,12,15 nesting kit.
oh man I wanted one of those so badly when I lived in New York 20 years ago ... couldn't afford the asking price.

since MDS ain't around any more, have you looked into drummers world nesting kits? not the same as Joe's handiwork, but I remember checking them out years back and they looked and sounded quite nice: https://drummersworld.com/drum-sets/custom-nesting-drum-kits/

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't know why you specifically want that brand or sizes, but I've got some rambling after-gig thoughts on nesting/compact kits....

From what I've seen, early nesting kits (like the rumored Slingerand made for Mel Lewis) were 12/15/20. Later on, both Modern Drum Shop and DrummersWorld (and maybe Precision) seemed to favor 10/14/18. Yamaha had the Hip Gig 10/13/deep 16 (heavy!) Penguin has nesting kits too.

For me, the problem with nesting kits is the Weight. Yeah, it's less pieces, but the one BIG piece weighs a ton. And you have to remove the legs from the floor tom, so now you have to put them somewhere else, thus increasing the weight of your hardware case.

Years ago I made a single headed nesting 12/14/20 from orphans. It was heavy, and single heads don't sound right for what I play.

Later I had an 8x10 and 11x13 made for me by MapleWorks. I'd stack the 10 on the 13, fold the legs around to hold the 10 in place, and put 'em in a 16x16 bag. They sound GREAT for fusion/funk/gospel, but not right for jazz, blues, americana or Broadway shows. They travel fairly well, but are still heavy and bulky.

Had a brief fling with "shallow" drums, Ludwig 6x10, 8x13 or 14, 10x20. Already knew the tom diameters wouldn't work for me, and I foolishly didn't give the bass drum enough time before I sold it.

So, I don't know....I think a nesting 12/15 or 10/14 tom combo could be good, but stuffing them into a bass drum means a heavy load. And, you still have to remove the floor tom legs....

My solution these days is to bring only one, or no toms, if the gig is low bread, or has difficult load-in or parking.

Anyway, best of luck to you!

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
kb said:
I don't know why you specifically want that brand or sizes, but I've got some rambling after-gig thoughts on nesting/compact kits....

From what I've seen, early nesting kits (like the rumored Slingerand made for Mel Lewis) were 12/15/20. Later on, both Modern Drum Shop and DrummersWorld (and maybe Precision) seemed to favor 10/14/18. Yamaha had the Hip Gig 10/13/deep 16 (heavy!) Penguin has nesting kits too.

For me, the problem with nesting kits is the Weight. Yeah, it's less pieces, but the one BIG piece weighs a ton. And you have to remove the legs from the floor tom, so now you have to put them somewhere else, thus increasing the weight of your hardware case.

Years ago I made a single headed nesting 12/14/20 from orphans. It was heavy, and single heads don't sound right for what I play.

Later I had an 8x10 and 11x13 made for me by MapleWorks. I'd stack the 10 on the 13, fold the legs around to hold the 10 in place, and put 'em in a 16x16 bag. They sound GREAT for fusion/funk/gospel, but not right for jazz, blues, americana or Broadway shows. They travel fairly well, but are still heavy and bulky.

Had a brief fling with "shallow" drums, Ludwig 6x10, 8x13 or 14, 10x20. Already knew the tom diameters wouldn't work for me, and I foolishly didn't give the bass drum enough time before I sold it.

So, I don't know....I think a nesting 12/15 or 10/14 tom combo could be good, but stuffing them into a bass drum means a heavy load. And, you still have to remove the floor tom legs....

My solution these days is to bring only one, or no toms, if the gig is low bread, or has difficult load-in or parking.

Anyway, best of luck to you!
Good thoughts on a lot of the solutions! Ive often wondered about these nesting kits myself. In addition to the weight you have a lot more assembly/disassembly. So i guess it depends on the situation. Single headed drums, less drums , nesting, compact sizes are all a possibility with strenghths and drawbacks. Personally Ive chosen to have a nice collection of fine sounding instruments that I can draw from. I try not to think about transportation too much. I have a good rock and roller cart and most gigs are not too taxing on the load in/out. But we all have our cross to bear!

hatandbeard

Reaction score
I am selling Modern Drum Shop drums...

have two 14 x 16 Modern Drum Shop nesting bass drums I'm selling both with Joe's custom Riser both wrapped in Blue Glass glitter and both in almost pristine condition.
One is made from a Gretsch shell from the 70s with an orange paper tag and the original badge is included the Gretsch badge that is.
One is made from a 7 ply Pork Pie Maple shell to match the thickness of a Gretsch shell.
These were made by Daniel Jodocy of Modern Drum Shop who finished these for me right as the Drum Shop unexpectedly closed

I have one 13 x 13 Gretsch broadkaster floor tom that would fit inside either one but that floor Tom is not a nesting floor time.

I suffered a few tragedies in a row so the last five years I've been selling off my Gretsch and Ludwig and Modern Drum Shop and pretty much everything else and I'm only keeping a few things. Please inquire I have some cool stuff.

My Modern Drum Shop nesting 12 15 18 was one of the first sets that's sold when I started selling stuff after the tour robbery.

ghostandbell@gmail.com
Nick Alvarez - Chicago

hatandbeard

Reaction score
I'm very well aware of all the companies that do this but I feel that Joe's shop and Modern Drum Shop was the best for me and for what I was looking for for many many reasons and they're always worth the dollars.

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I loved Joe C and his shop, and think the MDS drums are fine, but they are not all that different than any custom build using keller shells.

In addition to the precision kit I also have a drummers world nesting kit (16,13,10). And I shared an MDS nesting kit with a 20bd for a couple years in a drum space.

The MDS kit is nearly identical to the drummers world set and frankly not quite as refined as the precision kit. All use keller shells and similar nesting configs. Although I don't love the precision connectors as much as the others, the drums are very well made, with more attention to detail, and I was able to chose every part.

That said, the thing that makes me play the drummers world kit and not the precision for gigs is the sizing. I can keep the 16 kit in my living room and it's easy to grab and carry down 5 flights of stairs! Although with cymbals, hw, and snare, it is still fucking heavy. I can just about waddle from cab to club. For me the best benefit is the ability to store it at home.

Otherwise the pros and cons are not quite what you'd think. And cutting the BD does make a diff in sound.

cinemadrummer2001

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is a definite valid point about the weight and I have decided to just stay with my Ludwigs. I think I was just getting bummed out on the constant loading in and out of multiple cases and was looking for a time saver. But not at the cost of my back!(lol)

slapstick

Reaction score
well,..,.look at these soprano sets---the small "portable" drumsets the companies are producing---small drums for convenience one would think , but exactly what kind of convenience? they invariably have hernia hardware---tom tom holders designed to destroy the youth of any budding drummer. reduce the size but keep the mega hardware seems to be the ethic. where's the logic? ,..,,.,.so when thinking of the nesting kit , decide exactly why you want it. it's time drummers got a better deal out of these companies---better design , better thinking , fairer prices, better quality..,.and a great sound !!! (( and good wages for the makers,.,.,.))

cinemadrummer2001

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Amen to that. I guess I was sucked in by the video on maxwell's website of the guy with his nesting kit on a handtruck just happily walking through the city until he gets to his outdoor practice spot. He sets up in like 30 seconds and off! Smiling and drumming!
It would be nice, but after thinking about it, nothing is ever that easy!!

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pluses: storage is tops, it fits in the bottom of a closet. It is cool to be able to muffle the drums easily - usually that's where I stash my coat! For transport, the 16 kit can go in the tight back seat of NY taxi. The only negatives are it takes a little longer to setup at a gig and the bag is heavier.

Personally I love having the nesting kit. If I had a car, I'd gig the precision kit more. But instead it just gets babied.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Last time I went into my local music store, they had a new Whitney kit that I believe was a nesting one. 12/14/18 but it was $1.5K or slightly higher........

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of tight-quarters/keep-it-down gigs lately, and currently the minimum footprint&hardware solution seems to be a Pearl Rhythm Traveler bass drum (8x20) with a DW 2.5x12 piccolo tom (or a Pearl 3x13 flat timbale) and snare of choice (I usually opt for my 5x14 Blacrolite). I carry a 14" bag into which I stack the snare and timbale; the kick goes in its own bag; I tote 13" hats & 18" ride in my cymbal bag; and i use an old Ludwig Accessory trap case to carry my hardware (lightweight hi-hat, pedal, throne, snare stand [either Tama lightweight or old Rogers Memriloc], Gibraltar tom post & cymbal boom). Using a 2-ply batter head w/ or w/o zero ring on the timbale will give you an acceptable tom sound. I also pack a cowbell & LP jam block. Fellow band mates like it - I have all the necessary sounds and I don't take up a lot of space.

2018-06-29-Romilos001.JPG 2018-06-29-Romilos002.JPG

My regular bass drum is a 16x20 and since it also has the Pearl twin tom receiver, I can use this same minimal configuration with the deeper kick to beef things up a bit but still keep cartage simple:

2016_10_23-FallFestival015.JPG 2016_10_23-FallFestival016.JPG

When I add a lightweight cymbal stand (or 2), plus floor tom legs, I'm fully funded for anything.

R

RickP

JazzDrumGuy said:
Last time I went into my local music store, they had a new Whitney kit that I believe was a nesting one. 12/14/18 but it was $1.5K or slightly higher........
You need to remember, Whitney kits come with bags, the Quickframe, mounting hardware and cymbal arms. So when this is considered they are not priced that badly. They are by far the lightest nesting kit made today. Darn good sounding too.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
RickP said:
You need to remember, Whitney kits come with bags, the Quickframe, mounting hardware and cymbal arms. So when this is considered they are not priced that badly. They are by far the lightest nesting kit made today. Darn good sounding too.
Rick, okay but they don't do it for me visually. I have a small Gretsch SSB w/16" bass (ex-FT) for those cramped gigs......

TreeHouse

Reaction score
Hiya! I've been making drums for about 18 years, and Compact Nesting Kits for about the last 5 1/2 years. They've taken off: about 60% of my new orders have something to do with Nesting. Y'might check this out; I've got weights and dimensions in the specs for the standard configurations with over 100 configurations possible.
https://www.treehousedrums.com/about-compact-nesting-kits.html

TreeHouse

Reaction score
Thanks, JDG--it's SO fun helping folks design these things the way they want them!

Peace,
D#

cinemadrummer2001

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
wolfereeno said:
Any interest in a Precision Drums nesting kit? 10,12,15,18. It's a great sounding fun kit.

This is my actual kit demo'd by Gary at Precision, although the purple color is way more intense in real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=r1DaKeUzSSU

My intention was if I was transporting it nested, I'd pick just one of the toms.
That is a nice set! Is it very heavy when all 3 drums are nested together?