Modern Drummer- October Kit of the month 2011 (like an Addiction)

Tophatjohnny

Drumming Fool!!
Reaction score
Hey gang. Been in the works for a while, and so anxious I have been to not only see, but hear these bad boys in person. Total Awe I am still in people. Dennis is a true master and the most passionate builder/artist on the planet (IMHO) and this is living proof. Paying respect to the vintage (old school) side of the planet we took this project. Top Hat design from Ludwig,Beavertail from Slingerland, and the set it and forget it Swivo-Matic from Rogers. This making the set over the Top..... Hat & Cane folks.

One Ply Steam Bent Maple shells with solid rerings. Stick Saver hoops and the bass drum hoops with inlay you just don't see anymore.

How do they sound?? Like nothing I have never in my life heard before, at least in my stable, and I have owned just about (I said just about) every brand there is. This is by far my favorite sound and I have always loved the TH&C design.

The Pearl is aged/vintage WMP and just pops like crazy. I said "the pics are nowhere near as cool as seeing the set in person, but still cool pics to see.

Sizes 16x26,10x13,2-16x16's,6.5x14 and an additional 5x14 One Ply Steam Bent Butternut snare with tube lugs, solid brass hoops and the old school claws. (love this baby)

I am thrilled with the set, thrilled with Dennis Stauffer and thrilled to have got this work of art delivered to me on my birthday today and happy to share it with my DFO friends and brothers. Have to say, best birthday ever.

My special thanks goes out to of course (our very own DFO member) Mr. Dennis Stauffer for making it all happen, (our very own DFO member) Rogersoholic) aka Smitty, for the beautiful "Rogers" swivo-matic hardware to make the Buddy Rich thing happen, and because it's the coolest way to set it and forget it there is.. IMHO. Extra special thanks to DFO, as if I didn't become a member here, meet Rob (treviso) as well as Dennis Stauffer, the wheels to make this dream set would have never happened!!! DFO Rocked my drum world..Flat out, and make no mistake, our forum leader :notworthy: (chris) is nothing short of a sweetheart of a human being and I'm proud to call him a friend! Too excited to type any more so please enjoy the pics. Dennis did have a pro at the camrea last week, and real good shots will be up on staufferpercussion.com before too long. The shots there now are with a simple camera, and all I have here is a webcam tonight. Hope you dig the vibe. :occasion5: Click on any pic for a decent close up. Isn't this a cool place to meet cool people??

johnny

Almost forgot, special thanks to Boom for the new avatar!! :occasion5:

check out www.staufferpercussion.com to see some of the other amazing work that Dennis has done and a ever growing list of drummers that truly LOVE their drums inside and out. If you are giving the slightest thought to having a custom set made to order, you will too be thrilled to work with Dennis from start to finish. attention to detail, and what the drummer wants with Stauffer Percussion are that of Perfection, and second to none! :occasion5:

The new addition to the set is a 4x13 10ply Maple and bears the "Black Label" badge. Great addition to the set! :occasion5:

Modern Drummer Oct Issue 2011 "Kit of the month" Happy for the Master "Dennis Stauffer. and proud to own the set!! :occasion5:

Bongojimi

Founder
Reaction score
Johnny
Those are outstanding and a Tribute to your true love of Drums. My Hats off to you as I'm sure those are a substantial investment
Bravo....and enjoy

Bongo

biggator

DFO Star
Reaction score
I saw the pics that Dennis posted in the gallery - didn't realize it was a DFOers kit.

Congrads - those are amazing. I'm more impressed by Stauffer's work every time I see new pictures.

Mart

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Now you need to get some Tails to go with the Top Hat and Cane..

Beautiful drums!!!!

C

cpj83

Yowza!!
Build 'em how you want em! That's very cool!

Chris

Drum Kat

Honorary DFO Ambassador
Staff member
Reaction score
Very kewl! "Top Hat design from Ludwig,Beavertail from Slingerland, and the set it and forget it Swivo-Matic from Rogers." Very cleaver combination. Congratulations on the Grandaddy of them all custom kits! :notworthy:

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
well done johnny. quite the birthday deal! they are beautiful. enjoy them.

mike

Joeyboom

De. Drum Show Feb. TBA 2018
Reaction score
Boooyahh Brother Johnny . . . Just Boooooooohhhhyyyahhhh. . We see 'em in person at Chicago show maybe?????

:occasion5: :occasion5:

ps thanx for using the avatar bud I never thought of it

madchops82

DFO Master
Reaction score
Very cool. Even a Canister throne?! That's one of the slickest sets I've ever seen. We need a video of you playing them. WE NEED IT...get it?

Mart

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love how they are presented on Dennis's site. They did a great job of capturing that vintage vibe..

Nice new Avatar!!

Joeyboom

De. Drum Show Feb. TBA 2018
Reaction score
So what are ya askin for 'em?? this should be in FOR SALE section please :blackeye: