Modern Essentials - a 2nd look

bbunks

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have to admit I wasn't all that interested in the ME line when they showed up a few years ago. Tried a few and thought they were okay, but nothing really special.

I was at Vic's for Paiste Day last Saturday and spent some time with a ME 20" Ride and I came away thoroughly impressed.

I loved the feel of the cymbal, and the way it crashed so beautifully. It felt like a cymbal I could use for just about any gig and be happy with it. I have to say I haven't really found "the" ride cymbal yet in my switch to Paiste a few years ago.

And then it spawned the idea....maybe sell a bunch of stuff in order to buy an ME set up.

As someone said a long time ago about finding the right ride...."it's a long journey. Pack a sandwich."

Sonorholic

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've had the best luck with the 14 hats. Most of the others are on the heavy/slow side for me. They just seem to respond better to a heavier touch than I usually use. I did get a 19" crash recently though and that works as a nice small ride.

I'm hoping that Paiste will do a line that nudges these more toward Sound Creation territory. I think that would be very cool. I know that back in the day they only had a 50% success rate making the SC's but I think if they know more now about making different sounds and that they could come up with something nice without so much failure.

As for finding a perfect ride? good luck! ;) ;)

R

RickP

I have always liked the 22" rides a lot in the 602 ME series. I did recently noodle with the 20" ride at forum member JD's shop Drumland and it really knocked me out more the second time I played it. Nice balance between stick and wash, very nice bell too. You could do so many types of gigs with this ride.
Shane Kinney had me try the 15" 602 ME hi hats and they were superb ! They are not sluggish like some larger hihats can be, the foot chick was excellent ( not always the case with Paiste hi hats) and I loved the stick sound on these . They had that Paiste shimmer and crispness with some added bite and volume. They were not just brash hihats either, very sensitive too.

I have not played with the crashes or chinas enough to develop an opinion on them. I do think a set of cymbals with the 602 ME rie and hihats and some larger reissue 602 Classic thin crashes would be outstanding.

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have been using the 602 ME cymbals in addition to and combined with other lines offered by Paiste. I see them as sitting somewhere in the ground between the Masters Dark and 602 Classics.

At this point I've landed on the 602 ME 22" ride as the ideal general purpose ride for me. The 22" Masters Dark Crisp is right up there, but I give the final nod to the 602 ME ride - a little cleaner and less complex tone than the Masters DC, but not too tidy like a 602 Classic. I typically don't care for 20" rides, but would not mind trying one in the 602 ME line just to see if it could win me over.

I've also found the 602 ME 15" model hi-hat works well for my purposes. I agree with Rick these hats have a better foot chick than some of my other Paiste models. I tend to go for 15" hats on everything as a default with the exception of a pair of 14" 602 Classics that I wish were 15".

As far as crashes, I feel the 602 ME crashes may be a tad heavy for my tastes. The 18" works well for me, but the 20" seems a little slow to respond, at least to my liking. If I was a heavier player, I may not notice it as much, but I play fairly lightly and need crashes that are quicker to respond. I do like 18" and 20" crashes though as far as sizes and use Formula 602 Classic thin crashes to mix those in with the 602 MEs with good results (they are lovely and feel great). My favorite crashes remain the 18" and 20" Masters Dark crashes.

I'd love to try a 602 ME China, but do not want an 18" or 22" China - if they offered a 20", I'd probably grab one.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sonorholic said:
I've had the best luck with the 14 hats. Most of the others are on the heavy/slow side for me. They just seem to respond better to a heavier touch than I usually use. I did get a 19" crash recently though and that works as a nice small ride.

I'm hoping that Paiste will do a line that nudges these more toward Sound Creation territory. I think that would be very cool. I know that back in the day they only had a 50% success rate making the SC's but I think if they know more now about making different sounds and that they could come up with something nice without so much failure.

As for finding a perfect ride? good luck! ;) ;)
Interesting comment. When they first came out, I compared them to my old SC's and my new 602s. They sounded midway between the 2; if you had 602s and SC's already, ME's would be redundant. If you don't have SC's, though, they are a good start in that direction.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love the 22" ME ride. It's damn near (dare I say) perfect. I wouldn't bring it to the most quiet gig, but it covers just about everything else.

I had the 14" hats but felt they were a touch on the light side for what I'm doing now and so I sold them.

The crashes are nice, I just feel I'm covered on the "Paiste shimmer with a touch of darkness crash" thing with my Dark Energy crashes so <plug>I'm currently selling a 18" ME crash here on the DFO!</plug>

bbunks

DFO Master
Reaction score
For those of you with a ME ride....what Paiste models are you mixing it with?

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
bbunks said:
My most common set-up right now is this:

22" ME Ride
15" Giant Beat hats
18" Dark Energy crash
18" Signature Full crash

So a mix of lots of models obviously. I'm looking for an 18" Giant Beat right now actually to swap out for the 18" DE sometimes. But the above goes together great IMO.

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think the 15" hats are the jewel in this line. But that's just me.

R

RickP

bbunks said:
This is the genius behind Paiste, all their models play well together.

maxb2k

Reaction score
Paiste Formula 602 Modern Essentials 15 hihats.

Just picked up a set of the Paiste Formula 602 15 Modern Essentials hihats from Vics Drum Shop last week, and my first impressions are mildly dark, mid-range, complex yet the Paiste shimmer is present, med-heavy yet plays quick. Good chick, body, tone, versatile set of hats. They sit beautifully between the Sound Edge 15's -v- 15 Masters dark. The Masters darks are unbelievable. Complex, lush, quieter, perfect for jazz . . . want, want, want, want . . . . but I digress.
The Paiste rep at the store said Vinnie C. wanted one hihat set for either Sting or Herbie Hancock - tough position to be in I suppose.
Anyway, I'm psyched. I think I'm in love, and they now complete an all Paiste setup made up of 22 Dark Energy II ride (with 2 installed rivets) with either 18"& 20" Giant Beat Multi's, or 17"&19" 2002 thin crash.

Also, I do have the 20" ME ride. Beautiful balanced cymbal, that crashes really well. It's just, for me, a bit too washy, and just used to the articulated DE ride - very articulated in comparison. Apples and orange. Maybe the 22 Modern Essential ride is more controllable?

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Everyone still happy with you ME cymbals ? I can see myself hanging onto the 20 ride I recently purchased.

Usually people buy "X" series of cymbals then down the road decide to try something else etc etc
Just wondering how many folks have kept their ME's (be it a crash, ride or hats) and are 100% happy with them?

Have my eye on a set of 15"s. A pretty penny but I've very tempted to pull the trigger (and maybe a 18" crash too, just so the 15s don't get lonely).

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just couldn't get into these.
I had a set of them and they sat weird in my ears.
The ride was too heavy to be expressive under my stick. I had to really whack it to get it to somewhat resemble a crash.
The crashes just wouldn't open up. I had stated previously on a different thread that they crashes sound like there's cotton on 'em muting the sound. They want to sound off, but just can't.
I don't own any of them now.
The good news is I've really enjoyed a lot of the other Paiste offerings some of the members here have suggested.
I read a lot of the comments on this series.
I figure the players hit the cymbals harder than I do and play quieter gigs??? I don't know. I just can't reason it out.

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Still my overall favorites rides and hats - both sizes - I typically don't care for 20" rides, but the 602 ME works for me nicely with the 14" hats in a smaller set-up. The 22" ride and 15" hats are my absolute go-to pair though and I expect will be for good.

Crashes - wish they were a tad thinner - the 20" can serve light ride duty though. Masters and Dark Energy crashes are it for me.

China - Tried a 22" 602 ME China and just couldn't love it, not warm or soft enough for my ears/hands. Stuck with the lovely 22" Masters Swish for that role in my typical scenario.

Have a 602 ME splash on the way to see if will dethrone the raspy little Dark Energy 8" I adore. I expect they will learn to coexist as simply somewhat different creatures

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The 15” hats are a special breed.

I’ve bought and sold the 22” ride twice. It has some qualities that I like and other times felt a little sterile and stiff. I would try it yet again if I could find something in sub 2900 gram ballpark. These tend to fall 3000+ grams. A little lighter, with a rivet or two...

Last edited:

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The ride was too heavy to be expressive under my stick. I had to really whack it to get it to somewhat resemble a crash.
The crashes just wouldn't open up. I had stated previously on a different thread that they crashes sound like there's cotton on 'em muting the sound. They want to sound off, but just can't.
The good news is I've really enjoyed a lot of the other Paiste offerings some of the members here have suggested.
I figure the players hit the cymbals harder than I do and play quieter gigs??? I don't know. I just can't reason it out.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I've got a few Paiste with my fav being a 20 Trad medium ride. I had a 22 Masters Dark ride but I just couldn't figure out how to play it, strange beast to my ears. A recent 20 ME ride acquisition has gotten me interested in the entire ME line, that's how much I like the ride (which opens up to crash no problem). I likely wouldn't use it on a quieter gig all the same.
Did you have the 14 or 15 hats ? What set-up are you using at present ? Would I be right in thinking you might be a lighter style hitter ?

Don't know if this makes sense but I have a 18 masters dark crash and it took me a little while to figure it out in that I have to hit/play it differently than my other crashes to open it up. At first I thought "hey I have to kind of lay into this to open it up" but then after a while I figured that it was a matter of hitting it differently to open it up, more of a glancing blow thing sort of.........hard to explain. Was on the fence with it for a while but after all the compliments from other drummers, musician friends and a producer "I like that cymbal, that's the one" , they all talked me into loving it I guess. Brainwashed I am :)
I wonder if the ME crashes will be a bit like this somehow. Certainly the Youtube videos sound great of them.

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
I saw Vinnie Colaiuta (the designer of this series) play them with Herbie Hancock two years ago and he’d hit that 20” crash and the cymbal would move but there was no sound coming out. It seemed like he really had to lay into them to be heard. When I do hear him play those 15” hihats on YouTube though they do sound good-crisp and pre-eq’d sounding. Vinnie actually described them like that. I bought the 20” ride and 14” hihats when I had money to burn. They were the most expensive and hyped up cymbals so I went for it. They’re not perfect but I’m glad I have them. They’re probably the most versatile cymbals I have.

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I saw Vinnie Colaiuta (the designer of this series) play them with Herbie Hancock two years ago and he’d hit that 20” crash and the cymbal would move but there was no sound coming out. It seemed like he really had to lay into them to be heard. When I do hear him play those 15” hihats on YouTube though they do sound good-crisp and pre-eq’d sounding. Vinnie actually described them like that. I bought the 20” ride and 14” hihats when I had money to burn. They were the most expensive and hyped up cymbals so I went for it. They’re not perfect but I’m glad I have them. They’re probably the most versatile cymbals I have.
Maybe that crash wasn't miced properly ? Very hard to imagine Vinnie would not be savy to this.

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
Maybe that crash wasn't miced properly ? Very hard to imagine Vinnie would not be savy to this.
Actually I’ve seen one of those 20” crashes in person. Some guy had one in perfect condition he was trying to sell but had a decent size dent on the edge. I hit it once or twice and it seemed a little heavy. I’ve read online what people say about different cymbals from that series. I think I just read something last week where someone was talking bad about the crashes and have read people say they felt like they had to pull the sound out of the ride cymbal. Maybe you should google reviews on those cymbals. Also, Vinnie was playing Paiste signature fast crashes mixed in with those ME’s lately. I have one of those and it’s a very nice cymbal. Peace!

kickassdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The 15" ME hats and 22" ME ride haven't been off my gig rig since I acquired them. They just do absolutely everything well. I grabbed a 24" ME ride for my home kit and love it. The 10" splash is also a tasty little treat. As Rick said before, they pair well with everything. My gig crashes are Sig Fasts and a PSTX Swiss Thin. At home, I mix larger Sig Fasts with 15" 2002 SE hats, the aforementioned 24" ME ride, a 10" Dark Energy splash, and an 18" ME China. Haven't been able to find much fault in the combos!